Sean Long New Coach

Monkeymagic22

19 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

In an ideal world we’d go full time. Our owner’s pockets are nowhere near as deep as Degsy’s though. MC is all about sustainability. 

Next year will be a different proposition. I can’t see TOXIII being anywhere near your level. We should go just fine with a similar budget and hybrid setup to this year. And obviously a coach that knows his arris from his elbow.

But you will still have the same issue if you are successful 

10 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

In an ideal world we’d go full time. Our owner’s pockets are nowhere near as deep as Degsy’s though. MC is all about sustainability. 

Next year will be a different proposition. I can’t see TOXIII being anywhere near your level. We should go just fine with a similar budget and hybrid setup to this year. And obviously a coach that knows his arris from his elbow.

I like the last paragraph best 😆, it's true 👍 

14 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Somehow you've got to go full time , not easy as we saw with Newcastle , but ultimately that is what you have to do 

You've literally answered your own question with the second clause, you can add the likes of Sheffield a few years ago who basically recruited a full-time team of players that was lower quality than the part-time team that they let go. London too had to admit defeat trying to field a full-time Championship team despite having a very wealthy owner.

Going full time is great but only if you have the funding to be able to afford a large enough squad of quality players. SL teams, even the ones that put very little of their own funding into their squad, can do it simply because they get spoon-fed £2m a year (or whatever it is now) from the Sky money.

Leigh were able to do it because they have a very wealthy owner and also because they received a £450k parachute payment. The ridiculousness of the parachute payment was highlighted when Leigh assembled an almost-new squad with just 5 or 6 retentions.

It's perfectly possible that Beaumont could have afforded the same squad with his own money, but even with their vastly superior funding and spending power to other teams in the division Leigh ran with a very small squad and enjoyed a fair amount of luck both with recruitment (the disciplinary problems that made Ferguson and Ipape free agents for instance) but also with a charmed run without injuries - a run of four or five injuries to forwards, which can happen to any team, would have seen them heavily stretched and perhaps reliant on DR again.

This isn't in any way to have a pop at Leigh who have recruited a terrific squad, but just highlighting that it's really difficult for a Championship team to go full time on 200k central funding without lots of things dropping right.

• Like 4

Said on another thread I hope its not Hardman 

Whilst a club legend no way is this the right job for him - not only is there added weight of expectation but hes too inexperienced to take on a job like this at this stage of his coaching career plus if it starts to unravel and go wrong - what would be the implications of his life outside of work? He is MC son in law after all - They do say never work with family members

If Hardman is harbouring ambitions of being a top man surely he has to step away and hone his skills elsewhere

Edited by elppaxr2i

12 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

But you will still have the same issue if you are successful 

A little tip for your next coach! instead of training all week to beat someone in the FINAL as mentioned on(fev TV  business breakfast semi final edition) make sure he gets you there first!! 😂 

Edited by The scrim reaper
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, elppaxr2i said:

Whilst a club legend no way is this the right job for him - not only is there added weight of expectation but hes too inexperienced to take on a job like this at this stage of his coaching career plus if it starts to unravel and go wrong - what would be the implications of his life outside of work? He is MC son in law after all - They do say never work with family members

If Hardman is harbouring ambitions of being a top man surely he has to step away and hone his skills elsewhere

I'd agree, the family  links between Hardman and Campbell, make this a really bad idea. 

1 hour ago, elppaxr2i said:

You mean like Peet or Smith at Leeds? That's an old fashioned outlook IMHO, it simply isn't necessary to do the lower leagues apprenticeships anymore. Quite the opposite, as most of the better young SL coaches have been nowhere near the lower leagues or bush football.

I know nothing about Hardman but if he's got it in him he can go straight into it these days.

As a fulltime Trin fan I'm delighted to see Applegarth the same route as Peet has done. Admittedly as only a part time Fev sympathiser it's not for me to say who you should go for, but what I can say is that in general there has been a quiet revolution in coaching and IMO it's quite refreshing.

2 hours ago, The scrim reaper said:

A little tip for your next coach! instead of training all week to beat someone in the FINAL as mentioned on(fev TV  business breakfast semi final edition) make sure he gets you there first!! 😂 

Brian who  ?😆 🤣

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

You mean like Peet or Smith at Leeds? That's an old fashioned outlook IMHO, it simply isn't necessary to do the lower leagues apprenticeships anymore. Quite the opposite, as most of the better young SL coaches have been nowhere near the lower leagues or bush football.

I know nothing about Hardman but if he's got it in him he can go straight into it these days.

As a fulltime Trin fan I'm delighted to see Applegarth the same route as Peet has done. Admittedly as only a part time Fev sympathiser it's not for me to say who you should go for, but what I can say is that in general there has been a quiet revolution in coaching and IMO it's quite refreshing.

It's more of an issue of Hardman being the son in law of the clubs owner in my view.  It's a conflict of interest between family and the club.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

You've literally answered your own question with the second clause, you can add the likes of Sheffield a few years ago who basically recruited a full-time team of players that was lower quality than the part-time team that they let go. London too had to admit defeat trying to field a full-time Championship team despite having a very wealthy owner.

Going full time is great but only if you have the funding to be able to afford a large enough squad of quality players. SL teams, even the ones that put very little of their own funding into their squad, can do it simply because they get spoon-fed £2m a year (or whatever it is now) from the Sky money.

Leigh were able to do it because they have a very wealthy owner and also because they received a £450k parachute payment. The ridiculousness of the parachute payment was highlighted when Leigh assembled an almost-new squad with just 5 or 6 retentions.

It's perfectly possible that Beaumont could have afforded the same squad with his own money, but even with their vastly superior funding and spending power to other teams in the division Leigh ran with a very small squad and enjoyed a fair amount of luck both with recruitment (the disciplinary problems that made Ferguson and Ipape free agents for instance) but also with a charmed run without injuries - a run of four or five injuries to forwards, which can happen to any team, would have seen them heavily stretched and perhaps reliant on DR again.

This isn't in any way to have a pop at Leigh who have recruited a terrific squad, but just highlighting that it's really difficult for a Championship team to go full time on 200k central funding without lots of things dropping right.

Oh don't misunderstand me , my opinion on how to get promoted and stay in SL is 20 years old , it's not just a reaction to Leigh's current season , I submitted a plan to my fellow directors at Leigh way back in 2003 , it was plain then you just cannot recruit the necessary quality , you need to retain 50% of your promotion squad 

Who was the last part time team to get promoted and stay up ?

3 hours ago, plug said:

Try and get Danny Magiure on board if he's leaveing hull kr 

Say's he's not ready to be a head a coach and he's  really excited about working alongside their new coach next year. 

30 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

I'd agree, and if you look at Leigh, many of their good signings were made late, so enough time for the new coach to add players.

True, but Leigh were offering full time employment to ALL those newcomers - a big thing certainly for the later signings that you speak of, some of which had to be tempted halfway across the world. Yes dosh helps but, as stated on the latest SMTM 'cast, any of a half dozen Championship clubs could have had Edwin Ipape for the rub Derek originally signed him for. Dare say his improved contract is earning him a lot more! 

Leigh are also already recruiting heavily for next season regardless of which tier they find themselves in.

8 hours ago, Bongser said:

True, but Leigh were offering full time employment to ALL those newcomers - a big thing certainly for the later signings that you speak of, some of which had to be tempted halfway across the world. Yes dosh helps but, as stated on the latest SMTM 'cast, any of a half dozen Championship clubs could have had Edwin Ipape for the rub Derek originally signed him for. Dare say his improved contract is earning him a lot more! 

Leigh are also already recruiting heavily for next season regardless of which tier they find themselves in.

SL.

12 minutes ago, RobLambert said:

As long as the next coach is a former half back I'll be happy.  Of all the dire things about this season what stands out for me was the lack of ideas on the last tackle and those unchallenged half hearted chip kicks down the full backs throat.   

Kicking game was very poor all season.Even when we were under the hammer Sunday we never tried a 40/20.

10 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Kicking game was very poor all season.Even when we were under the hammer Sunday we never tried a 40/20.

I suspect that had anyone tried it they would have been subbed for trying something different.

Although I'm not convinced that any of our players had those skills.  We got shut of those players(s) - but thats another debate......

1 hour ago, RobLambert said:

Who was the last pt team to get promoted ?

Plenty before SL.

• Like 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.