IMG - Vote on Wednesday

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Typical RL double header.

Both announcements in Manchester within 2 hours of each other.

To be honest I think it's intentional so that journos can move from one event to the other. If there's national media around for the WC they may as well cover the IMG launch.

• Like 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

2 hours ago, Griff said:

No club should be handing out free tickets for a shared gate game without the opposition's agreement. There are some fairly strict rules, including limits on how many tickets are available to directors. All publicly available on the RFL website for those sufficiently interested.

Yep. Even admission prices have to be agreed between the 2 clubs 

• Like 1

Just now, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Yep. Even admission prices have to be agreed between the 2 clubs 

Agreed, Les.

To be fair, this is all based on supposition and I don't intend to delve into the Barrow-Batley game any further.  For all we know, Batley may have agreed a deal with Barrow.

But, as I said to Harry a couple of days ago, I'm very much against folk changing the rules.  Especially unilaterally.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

3 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

I guess by actually having their own ground they make more money on the revenue generated than on the tickets. Its a problem many clubs have that by getting nothing from the bar it means they jack ticket prices so no new fans.

Do you not understand that rules have to be followed? 

3 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

To be honest I think it's intentional so that journos can move from one event to the other. If there's national media around for the WC they may as well cover the IMG launch.

Yes, I'm sure it's on purpose. I just thought I'd make some whimsy out of it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Damien said:

It's absolutely stupid and it's hard to believe it's a coincidence.

As Keith said a couple of posts earlier, it is probably neither a coincidence nor stupid.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

From  The St Albans & Harpenden Review, a local paper that never reports on anything rugby league related, included their own home town club - 

"An expanded, 14-team top flight or a two-tiered Super League of 20 teams are the rumoured conclusions, and a potentially contentious licensing model and the consequent scrapping of promotion and relegation."

Here

• Thanks 1

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

2 minutes ago, Griff said:

Agreed, Les.

To be fair, this is all based on supposition and I don't intend to delve into the Barrow-Batley game any further.  For all we know, Batley may have agreed a deal with Barrow.

But, as I said to Harry a couple of days ago, I'm very much against folk changing the rules.  Especially unilaterally.

They'd also need approval from the RFL as (you pointed out earlier) that many free tickets would go against the Op Rules

2x10, 3 games against everyone in your league each season, is probably the only way Promotion and Relegation can be sustained to and from top flight RL right now. 20 licences, with possible increases in that number going forwards. 

Part time clubs totally separate from FT save for Cups, just as amateurs are from the professional game.

That's the only way I see 2x10 going, otherwise the cost of being relegated from the 2nd 10 would be more than getting relegated now.

6 minutes ago, Exiled Townie said:

From  The St Albans & Harpenden Review, a local paper that never reports on anything rugby league related, included their own home town club - 

"An expanded, 14-team top flight or a two-tiered Super League of 20 teams are the rumoured conclusions, and a potentially contentious licensing model and the consequent scrapping of promotion and relegation."

Here

I wouldn't be surprised if a 14 team SL was strongly pushed by fans in the fan survey and that many gave 2 x 10s the thumbs down. Im also certain 2 x 10s is what is being pushed by the RFL and clubs and that is why it continues to linger.

• Like 3

Just now, Liverpool Rover said:

Where will the money come from to fund 20 teams? A 14 team top flight seems more likely.

Quite, and I don't hesitate to say I agree with you completely on that.

But whether there is the appetite and the numbers for it within the voting members today is another matter. 

1 minute ago, Liverpool Rover said:

I think it will depend on what the fan survey says and it will probably be voted down by the majority of clubs.

We shouldn't even be letting the clubs vote imo. They've shown time and time again that they only vote in self-interest and not for the good of the game overall.

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, Nothus said:

Catalans are one of the top teams in SL now. So yes, it did.

So the introduction of Catalans that had nothing whatsoever to do with licensing is the basis for you believing licensing was a success?? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Perhaps we should just base it in France then!! 

Edited by Roughyed Rats

2 minutes ago, del capo said:

You would be in the wrong place.

Headquarters moved to the Etihad Campus last month....

Lads! Lads! This way!

• Haha 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I'm trying to work out how a 2x10 structure brings the casual UK sport's fan into RL. How does it promote a more geographically diverse sport?

It just seems like as long as individual clubs can decide the destiny and strategic direction of the whole sport, opportunities for growth and change are going to be limited 

Edited by The Daddy
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, The Daddy said:

I'm trying to work out how a 2x10 structure brings the casual UK sport's fan into RL. How does it promote a more geographically diverse sport?

It just seems like as long as individual clubs can decide the destiny and strategic direction of the sport, opportunities for growth and change are going to be limited 

Bring in London, Newcastle and some others into your 20 teams.