IMG - Vote on Wednesday

1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

So I can see why Newcastle and London just cut the funding for the budget because they know next season is irrelevent. What the hell are clubs playing for next year then? If I am not Toulouse I think I am just gutting the budget because quite frankly who cares?

Shame, Championship under a 14 team SL could´ve been a really great comp. Now it´s meaningless again. 

Also, are they going to want clubs to vote for this before they tell them it´s A,B or C? I bet some clubs already know they will never be given a license now (Fev,Fax,Widnes after last time, Leigh, Keighley) so why the hell would they vote for this?

But on-field activity also counts...

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

1 minute ago, The Daddy said:

"‘Category A’ clubs will be guaranteed participation in the top tier whilst ‘Category B’ clubs will be re-assessed annually with the highest-ranking clubs occupying the remaining slots in the top tier."

This is literally the EuroLeague basketball set-up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Think Super League as a brand will go. They're talking of re-branding and avoiding using the "Super League" name instead saying "top division".

I think this is pragmatically wise for a number of reasons, not least that it's been around a while and now being usurped by women's football.

The biggest Super League crowd at the LSV next year will be when Manchester United play Chelsea.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

So long as the Bs are graded fairly, this should be fine.

YOU HAVE A TERRACE WITHOUT A ROOF AND YOU DARE TO SAY YOU ARE CATEGORY A.

This is going to be brilliant.

• Haha 11

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Shared gate revenue in the play-offs.

That's the case below SL but I believe SL use a different system (or at least they did, might have changed though). For SL play offs the surplus revenue from all play off games goes into a pool - i.e. home team can keep bar and hospitality revenue and deduct costs of staging the game (staff costs etc) but any profit from ticket sales goes into the pool. Even the GF receipts (after staging costs) go into the pool. Then the final pool is paid out pro-rata to the 6 teams who made the play offs. It used to be pro rata'd so that each progression gained you 10% more of the pool - i.e. Winners 35%, Runners Up 25%, Losing semi-finalists 15% each and Losing 1st round 5% each.

• Thanks 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

4 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Also imagine if they didn´t include the two french teams on the eve of a world cup and basically shutting the door to growing clubs in france with France 2025 round the corner. Just worst of all world here. 

Calm down. They said there is a cap, but not what the cap number is. It might be irrelevant.

• Like 1

There are still, obviously, a whole tonne of questions to be answered but I like that they've not given a structure and are, instead, waiting to see how many clubs they have at each level and will then, presumably, work backwards from that.

I also like that, after the structure, there is that whole paragraph about streaming, commercial etc that, probably, is a lot more important longer term, but that no one is going to be talking about.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Derwent said:

It used to be pro rata'd so that each progression gained you 10% more of the pool - i.e. Winners 35%, Runners Up 25%, Losing semi-finalists 15% each and Losing 1st round 5% each.

But then someone lost the RFL abacus?

(Thanks for the explanation. Very helpful to know.)

Lack of a lot of detail at this stage, which is completely understandable. 

The format was never going to be the driver for change, as we’ve attempted before numerous times. Getting the basics right is key and a criteria based participation sounds, in theory, like a half decent idea. Of course, there’s a bad taste for many regarding our last poorly executed attempt at licensing but I’m willing to see what they suggest. 

Will the full findings of the surveys and clubs opinions be released in more detail?

I'm a little cautious of grading clubs. Once upon a time, Bradford would be Grade A. I assume these can change.

Ultimately, we'll probably adopt licensing again. It won't last 10 years and we'll do something different.

And maybe one day, the penny will drop and we will realise that changing our structure doesn't actually have any impact at all on the size or reach of the sport. Maybe we'll deal with more pressing issues like the international game and increasing participation.

Or, more realistically, we won't.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

No players are getting signed before October then. If they dont tell clubs how many will be in SL then I dont think they get the votes. 

There is no change for next season.

13 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Why would we take on a loss making operation like rugby union?

It's a good question. 

But if their backers and say Sky came to the table with a huge TV deal to join the games and create a super division that included the bigger Union clubs plus Wigan, Saints, Leeds etc. there could be a way of making short term money. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

2 x 10 would be a disaster might as well go to 14 now.

My prediction

* 14 teams 

* Toulouse stay in

* Winners of Championship up obviously 

* London Broncos back in 

Is your last inclusion one of those that people are saying is of fans only thinking of their own Paul?

Does London really deserve to be fastracked above some other teams?

On 26/09/2022 at 14:17, Dunbar said:

I don't like these proposals at all.

I don't know what they are, I just don't like them.

'Category A’ clubs will be guaranteed participation in the top tier whilst ‘Category B' clubs will be re-assessed annually with the highest-ranking clubs occupying the remaining slots in the top tier.

So you can finish above a Category A team and still get removed from the top tier.

That is not what sport is about.  There have to be consequences and rewards for on field performances.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, Dave T said:

It's a good question. 

But if their backers and say Sky came to the table with a huge TV deal to join the games and create a super division that included the bigger Union clubs plus Wigan, Saints, Leeds etc. there could be a way of making short term money. 

Yeah.

Nah.