IMG - Vote on Wednesday

25 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Yes but there is F all to play for if Licensing is in in 2024 is there? I am spending money to reach SL but if you know you wont get a license why would you bother ? 

Correct Salop, coffin, hammer and nails. The Championship will revert back to how it was when there was no P&R, apathy will set in, the guys who put money into the clubs will say "feck it, I'm off" fans will follow suit, the junior clubs with the absence of a local pro focal point will drift into obscurity which will greatly affect the production of kids to professionals, the foundations of the sport will will crack and splinter and in a short time those above will come crumbling down.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Just now, fighting irish said:

This is surely similar to the system in Australia.

To repeat: seriously, just go and read up on how the IMG-resourced EuroLeague basketball does it, and you'll have a very good idea of what they are trying to do here.

• Thanks 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Correct Salop, coffin, hammer and nails. The Championship will revert back to how it was when there was no P&R, apathy will set in, the guys who put money into the clubs will say "feck it, I'm off" fans will follow suit, the junior clubs with the absence of a local pro focal point will drift into obscurity which will greatly affect the production of kids to professionals, the foundations of the sport will will crack and splinter and in a short time those above will come crumbling down.

Except there is promotion and relegation?

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, bromleybulldog said:

Someone should get in touch with Batley and tell them not to bother turning up on Sunday then.

Why?

• Thanks 1

Or the top clubs take over those areas in terms of junior clubs as they de facto have for most anyway. 

5 minutes ago, Moove said:

It sounds like that's a short term thing. Just reading they're aiming to have a top division where all clubs are grade A's, so presumably the idea is that enough B's will make the step up in a shortish period then others will only be admitted as the pot grows. Dangles a carrot for those who don't already have their house in order I guess.

Indeed it may be short term.  And it may even get us into a better position than we are now by 206/27.

But I feel that all these decisions around structure and grading systems lose sight of some of the underlying principles of what sport should be about.  And one of them is that at the start of a competition everyone should have a fair and equal chance of success.

You have to have some foundations principles that you adhere to in these situations and I think we have lost one here where the performance on the pitch is rewarded unequally between teams in the same league.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

35 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

'Category A’ clubs will be guaranteed participation in the top tier whilst ‘Category B' clubs will be re-assessed annually with the highest-ranking clubs occupying the remaining slots in the top tier.

So you can finish above a Category A team and still get removed from the top tier.

That is not what sport is about.  There have to be consequences and rewards for on field performances.

Cue 2022, in this new scenario Warrington finishing 11th would very much likely be saved in this new proposal, as you say this is not what sport is about.

• Like 1

The idea that these small clubs with about 800 fans somehow prop up the top clubs us ludicrous, do you think youngsters at Batley boys  and the likes are looking at playing for Batley, no they look at Leeds community clubs get more support from the big guns than league one clubs

• Sad 1

Just now, ShropshireBull said:

Not to SL, I wouldnt invest in a club for the ambition of second tier part time rl and I wouldnt expect anyone else to either. The B catergory just feels like a way to string people along tbh. 

Cat B should give clubs the ability to compete with other Bs, whilst also allowing the strongest Bs to grow into Cat A clubs.

9 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

A Cat B team won't be able to decide how to recruit (or even who to retain) until the decision is made on their division for the following year. With on-field performance part of the assessment, that decision couldn't be made until after the end of the season, leaving them at a huge disadvantage in recruiting.

I think that's where on notice comes in. Otherwise it's short notice P&R just like now. 

3 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Awful idea, as it’s been since it was very first mooted. Not knowing who is playing or when they’re playing as close as four weeks from the event is a truly shocking idea. 

I don't agree. For example magic quarters could involve various other showcase events around the whole game as a celebration. Ladies Final? Championship 9's. Wheelchair? 4 weeks is plenty of time for the floating fan. 

Or we just go to Hudds Salford because that's our club, which you imply is more important.

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not so sure Harry. The more detail I read, the more I'm prepared to give it a go.  If the criteria are applied consistently and transparently (unlike last time), this could have legs.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Because if you can get London bk to what they were before 4-5k crowds. They offer significantly more in commercial opportunites than the vast majority of our clubs, including Leigh. 

IF, my auntie had b........... you know the rest, so just on speculation alone without proving anything London get a place? 

So these proposals are clearly designed to grow all our super league clubs into A's but in my opinion could have the opposite effect. Due to having the certainty of being in SL regardless A clubs will obviously have a huge advantage when it comes to recruitment, attracting investment etc., creating a danger of B clubs being sent on a downward spiral where being uncompetitive on the pitch leads to lower crowds, less income and so on making improvement and progression into an A club near impossible. 

Likewise I don't know how B clubs outside of SL can be expected to compete with B clubs already inside  with the obvious gap in central funding, media attention etc. Surely whatever list of criteria they come up with will be skewed towards the team already in SL?

• Like 4

Just now, MattSantos said:

Anything on the proposed calendar changes?

Other than a May Cup Final, i haven't seen anything.

Mid Season international

Aligned seasons between us and Australia

October end-of-season internationals

A "narrative" season

• Like 2