IMG - Vote on Wednesday

Just now, gingerjon said:

Mid Season international

Aligned seasons between us and Australia

October end-of-season internationals

A "narrative" season

So a September Grand Final? A shorter season or an earlier start..

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

What sports?

It's a new one on me. I'm all for a good prize for winning the comp, but the natural conclusion of the point is that if players minds are focused then we don't need to worry about IMG and their digital, broadcasting, branding, sales expertise etc. 

Focused players minds is the solution. Who knew? 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

'Category A’ clubs will be guaranteed participation in the top tier whilst ‘Category B' clubs will be re-assessed annually with the highest-ranking clubs occupying the remaining slots in the top tier.

So you can finish above a Category A team and still get removed from the top tier.

That is not what sport is about.  There have to be consequences and rewards for on field performances.

Does this mean if a category A team like Wire have future dreadful seasons it DOESN'T MATTER,  they won't be relegated?!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

And they were doing so well until that bit....

Bleeding eck 😳 I didn't know the Rugby League old boys worked for IMG 

Maybe they should be made to pay a bond to play in the CC

Do KR and Wakey for example have to play a % of domestic players.

The reason Catalans started dropping French players was because of the reintroduction of relegation. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BD20Cougar said:

So these proposals are clearly designed to grow all our super league clubs into A's but in my opinion could have the opposite effect. Due to having the certainty of being in SL regardless A clubs will obviously have a huge advantage when it comes to recruitment, attracting investment etc., creating a danger of B clubs being sent on a downward spiral where being uncompetitive on the pitch leads to lower crowds, less income and so on making improvement and progression into an A club near impossible. 

Likewise I don't know how B clubs outside of SL can be expected to compete with B clubs already inside  with the obvious gap in central funding, media attention etc. Surely whatever list of criteria they come up with will be skewed towards the team already in SL?

On the thread discussing the recent podcast with one of IMG's leadership, there was mention of them wanting to create an environment where owners felt confident or encouraged to invest. Surely this is the manifestation of that? If you invest in the club to the standard necessary to receive an A grade, then the risk associated with that investment is seriously reduced? 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Ackroman said:

I don't agree. For example magic quarters could involve various other showcase events around the whole game as a celebration. Ladies Final? Championship 9's. Wheelchair? 4 weeks is plenty of time for the floating fan. 

Or we just go to Hudds Salford because that's our club, which you imply is more important.

The Ladies Final moving from on the card on finals day (hopefully it becomes a standalone event) to being an undercard of the quarter finals is a terrible suggestion.

Does anybody want a Championship 9s?

You know they play wheelchair rugby in a hall not on grass, right?

Magic Weekend is announced probably in excess of six months before the weekend begins, giving “floating fans” and fans of clubs enough time to organise travel, tickets, spending money and hotels (if necessary). As I said in my original post, I think Magic could be done so much better, in a way that entices people to stay within the stadium or to attract people who will stay inside a stadium instead of the demographic of 40-55 year old’s getting steaming with watching their club sandwiched into their day drinking session. 

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Why?

I haven't understood it all to be honest. Are you able to do a summary please - I remember you did one for me on some Brexit issue which was surprisingly well balanced. 🙂

It sounds as if you see positives for Batley and other teams? 

This whole report is nothing more than fancy corporate speak and cliche. It tells you absolutely nothing, means absolutely nothing. Not one single fact or financial detail. 

Looks like IMG have passed this over to an under graduate on work experience to compile. I really don't understand how any one could take any of these absurdly vague suggestions seriously.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

So a September Grand Final? A shorter season or an earlier start..

Removal of loop fixtures suggests, possibly, both.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Jughead said:

The Ladies Final moving from on the card on finals day (hopefully it becomes a standalone event) to being an undercard of the quarter finals is a terrible suggestion.

Does anybody want a Championship 9s?

You know they play wheelchair rugby in a hall not on grass, right?

Magic Weekend is announced probably in excess of six months before the weekend begins, giving “floating fans” and fans of clubs enough time to organise travel, tickets, spending money and hotels (if necessary). As I said in my original post, I think Magic could be done so much better, in a way that entices people to stay within the stadium or to attract people who will stay inside a stadium instead of the demographic of 40-55 year old’s getting steaming with watching their club sandwiched into their day drinking session. 

Do you bump into a lot of stuff?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

On the thread discussing the recent podcast with one of IMG's leadership, there was mention of them wanting to create an environment where owners felt confident or encouraged to invest. Surely this is the manifestation of that? If you invest in the club to the standard necessary to receive an A grade, then the risk associated with that investment is seriously reduced? 

Absolutely. Especially if, as I understand it, once Super League is full of Cat A teams, a new Cat A team will lead to an increase in the size of the league (if that hasn't happened already).

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It's a good question. 

But if their backers and say Sky came to the table with a huge TV deal to join the games and create a super division that included the bigger Union clubs plus Wigan, Saints, Leeds etc. there could be a way of making short term money. 

Leeds had a Union team couldn't fill a coach with the attendances.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It seems most people don't like the latter being a major factor

You are no better than them by denying that it is both. 

Telling people it is not sport is just trolling, because I assume you don't really think that. 

21 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

We don´t agree on much but if clubs who got burnt by licensing before feel they wont get a fair shot then yes, 100% this is what will happen. 

Name me one club that deserved to be in SL in the last period of licensing that wasn't allowed into the league?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

You aren't seriously making that comment are you Harry? Next you'll be saying London and New York!

Off course I'm serious, there may be a few Leythers that go to the Women's game but not many, in fact I honestly do not know anyone who attends the M.U. ladies.

So what has London and New York got to do with anything, I was simply answering Gingers statement concerning the LSV next season.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Absolutely. Especially if, as I understand it, once Super League is full of Cat A teams, a new Cat A team will lead to an increase in the size of the league (if that hasn't happened already).

Assuming things are being reported accurately, if we get too many Cat A teams then we move to Conferences (or similar) in the top tier.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

This whole report is nothing more than fancy corporate speak and cliche. It tells you absolutely nothing, means absolutely nothing. Not one single fact or financial detail. 

Looks like IMG have passed this over to an under graduate on work experience to compile. I really don't understand how any one could take any of these absurdly vague suggestions seriously.

I think all of this comes with the caveat of 'more details to follow' and from a business model POV, there will be KPIs both for clubs and the league to establish if this is moving the sport in the right direction. I don't think IMG will be just throwing these ideas over the fence as it were and saying 'crack on'. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Off course I'm serious, there may be a few Leythers that go to the Women's game but not many, in fact I honestly do not know anyone who attends the M.U. ladies.

So what has London and New York got to do with anything, I was simply answering Gingers statement concerning the LSV next season.

My statement was about how the most visible Super League in a rugby league town might not actually be rugby's Super League.

• Like 1