IMG - Vote on Wednesday

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I would be very surprised of there were 12 A's in the first iteration. 

There won't be.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

There won't be.

Actually, not only there won't be but there can't be, as the promotion of the Category B's requires there to be space in the 12 club top tier.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

One things for sure.  With this and the World Cup, we are not short of things to discuss at the end of the regular season.

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Actually, not only there won't be but there can't be, as the promotion of the Category B's requires there to be space in the 12 club top tier.

Has that been said by IMG ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

8 minutes ago, Griff said:

Has that been said by IMG ?

Not that I know, but the entire premise (based on the presentation screen shot that was shared earlier in the thread) is that A's have a guaranteed spot and B's rotate/are promoted on assessment.  That won't work if there are 12 A's from day 1.

You don't introduce a system and then make it unworkable from the start... not when you are in control of that system.

Edited by Dunbar

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

No, but there entire premise (based on the presentation screen shot that was shared earlier in the thread) is that A's have a guaranteed spot and B's rotate/are promoted on assessment.  That won't work if there are 12 A's from day 1.

You don't introduce a system and then make it unworkable from the start... not when you are in control of that system.

If there are 12 As from day 1 then the Bs need to become As.

They have said all As are guaranteed in and they will fiddle with the top division to accommodate them, up to and including moving to conferences.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Surprised Fev are on board, that´s a good sign for this happening. 

They're not daft.

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

If there are 12 As from day 1 then the Bs need to become As.

They have said all As are guaranteed in and they will fiddle with the top division to accommodate them, up to and including moving to conferences.

So you think there will be 12 A's on the first assessment?

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

So you think there will be 12 A's on the first assessment?

I've said there won't be, they've said they don't expect there to be. I'm just repeating what they've said will happen should there be enough As to fill a division at any point.

21 minutes ago, Jughead said:

If you’re in the Euston Tap, you’re a man of impeccable taste. 

I usually am, but its full inside and not quite warm enough to sit in the beer garden (the inexplicable Euston Tap 2 across the way is not open).

So I'm in the Doric Arch on Asahi instead of my normal Bitburger or occasional Budvar.

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

I've been positive on this so far, but I must say I'm disappointed by the lack of detail around the grading. This was always going to be the controversial one, and to leave huge holes in the proposal is disappointing. I understand this is an initial proposal, but to go into A's and B's but not explain really what that may mean is a bit silly. 

Do the top clubs get A and everyone else a B? Or is there a n/a category? How does the handpicking work, because it can't just be changes every year as that keeps the chaos we are trying to remove? 

I understand more detail will come, but surely it could have been explained better than it has? 

• Like 1

Just now, Spidey said:

Nope. But any B’s in SL will be in over B’s in the championship 

Do you mean it will be engineered so that is the outcome?

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Do you mean it will be engineered so that is the outcome?

I think that is a challenge of having arbitrary criteria - because comparing across divisions, the higher division clubs will benefit from things like bigger crowds, commercial income, youth setups, higher revenue etc. So it would be crazy if a lower division club outscored an SL club. 

And this is where the criteria need to really mean something imo. Guaranteed P&R and never settibg a high enough bar was the problem last time, and we have to avoid making the same mistakes again. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Surprised Fev are on board, that´s a good sign for this happening. 

Leigh have helped roll the pitch for this decision by basically buying in an unbeatable squad and showing up the fallacy of 'earning it on the pitch'.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think that is a challenge of having arbitrary criteria - because comparing across divisions, the higher division clubs will benefit from things like bigger crowds, commercial income, youth setups, higher revenue etc. So it would be crazy if a lower division club outscored an SL club. 

And this is where the criteria need to really mean something imo. Guaranteed P&R and never settibg a high enough bar was the problem last time, and we have to avoid making the same mistakes again. 

As long as there are genuine minimum standards for our elite division that’s fine by me. I’d be annoyed if we accept simply promises from the first round of applications 

5 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I expect there’ll be a lot more B’s than places available, and more than likely incumbents will get preference 

Well, that all comes down to how the criteria are laid out and how absolute the measures are.  If there is a strict scoring and weighting of criteria then the B's will be ordered and this will be irrespective of incumbency. 

If it is more subjective then maybe it will favour the incumbents butbl surely that level if subjectivity will be much more controversial and open to criticism. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Leigh have helped roll the pitch for this decision by basically buying in an unbeatable squad and showing up the fallacy of 'earning it on the pitch'.

That's harsh.  Leigh have invested in the squad and won games.

• Like 3