IMG - Vote on Wednesday

1 minute ago, gittinsfan said:

I have read up to page 17 and  will read the full thread.A lot of people seem happy with the A clubs and the upper class B  clubs.No body seems  to give a thought to the lower clubs. But that's SL fans down to a tee.

It's no different to 2007 , they've already graded the clubs they want , and will fit the criteria to fit that aim 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

I have read up to page 17 and  will read the full thread.A lot of people seem happy with the A clubs and the upper class B  clubs.No body seems  to give a thought to the lower clubs. But that's SL fans down to a tee.

except for Batley, who will win on the weekend😉

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

So who finances Newbie London?

I don't know. God, maybe.

Seriously. Harry, don't get into the London thing. We've had a "benefactor" who has disenfranchised most of the core supporters over the years. Imagine the opposite of Derek. Let us lick our wounds in peace.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

With the presentations and communications all talking about the 'top tier' and this from Woods, could we actually see the name of Super League for the top tier be dropped completely I wonder.

Super League is all over the place now in Netball, Women's Football etc. maybe they think we need something more unique.

That would be a huge rebrand if true.

I think if this is being positioned as 'reimagining' UK RL then I'd be very surprised if that doesn't include a whole rebrand including comp names. A fresh start. 

11 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It's no different to 2007 , they've already graded the clubs they want , and will fit the criteria to fit that aim 

But why do you think they have favourites? Why do you think Salford or Castleford are preferred to say, Leigh or Fev? 

We often hear it is a stitch up, but why on earth would anyone protect Wakey for example? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

But why do you think they have favourites? Why do you think Salford or Castleford are preferred to say, Leigh or Fev? 

We often hear it is a stitch up, but why on earth would anyone protect Wakey for example? 

They did last time , will having a 3/4 empty seated stand make them an ' A ' , or even a good ' B ' ? 

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

And will achieve nothing , because they will be denied a SL place due to ' grading ' 

Actually Batley will achieve something.They will have a share of a decent gate at Barrow.

They will have a share of a better gate (probably ) at Fev.

They will have a share of a better gate (probably ) at Leigh.

Allowing for a decent bonus to the players that is still going to be a decent boost to the clubs finances.

That is without any help from SL or RFL.

It will be interesting to see where they will be classed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

Actually Batley will achieve something.They will have a share of a decent gate at Barrow.

They will have a share of a better gate (probably ) at Fev.

They will have a share of a better gate (probably ) at Leigh.

Allowing for a decent bonus to the players that is still going to be a decent boost to the clubs finances.

That is without any help from SL or RFL.

It will be interesting to see where they will be classed.

All stuff they will thoroughly deserve as well 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

They did last time , will having a 3/4 empty seated stand make them an ' A ' , or even a good ' B ' ? 

They lacked bottle last time and gave too much benefit of the doubt to the existing clubs imho. But I think a large part of that was that they didn't rate the clubs pushing for their spots. 

I don’t think there are enough letters in the Alphabet to reflect the grading the Broncos would get currently.

I assumed the reference to London was in terms of targeting an increase in the fan base here, and not about having a competitive team present in SL, which as we know would cost many millions over many many years to achieve.

Maybe Magic weekend could head to London as part of that strategy?

personally im not keen on a complete name change. I think the challenge is to take what we have and make it the most recognisable. Though I’d be happy with a return to “Rugby Super League”.

Edited by EastLondonMike
  • Like 2

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

They lacked bottle last time and gave too much benefit of the doubt to the existing clubs imho. But I think a large part of that was that they didn't rate the clubs pushing for their spots. 

So they were biased ? , And you don't think that will happen again ? , If it is an ' added value ' only decision , then geography will again enter their criteria , is that fair ? 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

So they were biased ? , And you don't think that will happen again ? , If it is an ' added value ' only decision , then geography will again enter their criteria , is that fair ? 

To be honest GUBRATS, you are making up your own points that don't relate to mine. Your arguments are dishonest here as you are stating things I haven't said, or believe. 

Happy to discuss it again when you aren't just being awkward because you are angry. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

To be honest GUBRATS, you are making up your own points that don't relate to mine. Your arguments are dishonest here as you are stating things I haven't said, or believe. 

Happy to discuss it again when you aren't just being awkward because you are angry. 

Not angry , just disappointed , I don't recall the sport growing last time , and can't see where it will grow with the same thing this time 

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Not angry , just disappointed , I don't recall the sport growing last time , and can't see where it will grow with the same thing this time 

These things are complicated. 

You know my view, I'm not massively fussed about what structure we have, I think the other things are probably more important, but if people are going to highlight structures as a success or failure, then it is hard to ignore the fact that the game has been on a downward trend in many areas since licensing was abandoned. 

My view is that isn't the core reason, but for many it will be. 

6 hours ago, Damien said:

Its only because of the World Cup its 27, it would have been 29 otherwise. I never thought you minded loops either!

There is no way clubs will accept 22, 29 to 22 is a heck of a drop which isn't going to happen in my opinion. Some of these games will be replaced by something I feel (and I hope that isn't Challenge Cup group games) This is to me is always why 14 makes sense and 26 games but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

It could be to make room for another competition to sell to TV. As Super League is going to remain at 12 for now there could be a Super League Cup with three groups of four playing home and away, with the group winners and best runners up in the semi finals. Home group games counting on season tickets so there is still around the same number of home games as now. After the final there could then be a two or three week gap before Super League starts.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dunbar said:

But I feel that all these decisions around structure and grading systems lose sight of some of the underlying principles of what sport should be about.  

Our game was literally founded because people disagreed on some BS notion of what sport should "be about".

It's 2022.  

new rise.jpg

One of the big differences between this proposal and last time is that this is a partnership with IMG. Assuming they can sell this to enough clubs to get it through, their role will be about getting more money into the sport.  

That means new investors and better TV deals. They will have been sounding out potential investors and no doubt talking to Sky etc as well. If you look at the way pro sports operate now its about seriously wealthy individuals buying in. That will be the plan for London for sure, and probably a few other clubs as well. On the plus side for our sport is that buying in is relatively cheap for big time investors. On the downside is the image of the sport in England as a regional small-time game and the fact that at the moment there's virtually no money in the game.

In order to get new cash you have to offer growth potential (i.e. can turn a B in the Championship into an A if you spend enough and the whole comp generating more income), but also limit downside risk. The carrot of an A grading makes investment far more attractive as it will limit exposure to one bad season.

The other thing about getting in new investment is that they will have to create a buzz about the sport and make it something investors want to be associated with. Rebranding is part of that. Super League always was a duff name to me. I'd rather we go for a pithy acronym (like NFL, NRL, AFL).

• Like 3