IMG - Vote on Wednesday

1 minute ago, Nothus said:

I can't see any of the journos making comments on how all of this is going to affect current/future broadcasting deals and also how they plan to distribute central funding. Anybody seen any comments on this?

Removing loop fixtures and the magic weekend is absolutely the right thing to do, as is increasing the focus on internationals. But how do Sky feel about this?

The only reference appears to be that the consultation involved broadcasters too. But I raised a similar point somewhere else (maybe this thread) - that we have 12m left on the current deal, we have to have a compelling story for a new or existing partner.

48 minutes ago, Pulga said:

I'm not sure what the problem is. Geography will come into it.

Geography is the problem.  I can't think of an advantage for two potless clubs based a hundred miles - or even fifty miles - apart "merging".  There are very few mergers.   One entity takes over the other.  If the entity being taken over has no assets, whether tangible or intangible, what's the motivation ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

You did get an extra point for being X miles from another team. It's how London got *just* enough points.

But that's what I mean about it being one thing among many.

Exactly - and whilst I hated the criteria being so prescriptive (in the name of transparency) - some acknowledgement of geographical position is perfectly sensible.

But clubs weren't burnt and shafted based on geography. 

The more controversial change was in 1995 when we removed SIX Northern clubs from the top division and replaced them with London and Paris. If I was arguing about being shafted due to geography, I'd be using this point!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Only clubs so far i can see on the A list are Catalan,Wigan,Saints,Warrington,Leeds,and Hull K.R. loop fixtures dropped is a  good thing .Think Magic has been good for the games exposure and see no need to drop it.Can't see SKY paying the same or more under the new proposals i think they will not renew.We have to give it a chance the game is nor progressing under the present structure.Grass roots need money to help future player development.

You don’t think Hull FC are worthy of Cat. A?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Only clubs so far i can see on the A list are Catalan,Wigan,Saints,Warrington,Leeds,and Hull K.R. loop fixtures dropped is a  good thing .Think Magic has been good for the games exposure and see no need to drop it.Can't see SKY paying the same or more under the new proposals i think they will not renew.We have to give it a chance the game is nor progressing under the present structure.Grass roots need money to help future player development.

I think you’ve got KR instead of FC there 😂😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Your lot only tagged onto it because of a Kiwi 13 years with bis 'All Golds' after those in the UK did the trail blazing.

Just as well they did, really.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Worries me that our journos don’t know basic facts about our games history

Don't make me check things. I don't want to have to go and check things.

Edited by gingerjon
  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 hours ago, gingerjon said:

If, at some future point, there are more As than spaces then the number of spaces will be increased.

Unlikely I know, but what happens if in 3 years we have 20 "A" teams.

It is stated that "then the number of spaces will be increased"

So do they get admitted to SL and the CF - 20M divided by 12 1.7 M each is divided by 20 so that will be 1M each.

Or do we then change to A+ teams so they can keep their cash?

Can't see that happening - the closed shop network will kick in and either they will stop making teams "A" for reasons as stated earlier - not having academies [when at same time won't allow them to have one].

3 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

I must have dreamt seeing Hull win every game in the old second division in the late 1970s then 😳

So, potentially, it's a mere 45 years he's talking about as opposed to 60?

That make a difference?

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Your lot only tagged onto it because of a Kiwi 13 years with bis 'All Golds' after those in the UK did the trail blazing.

Sure did. And now the NRL is the biggest domestic league of either rugby code in the world who will see the richest club admitted as a new member next year while Super League gets to look forward to a yo-yo in Leigh.

• Like 2

new rise.jpg

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

So, potentially, it's a mere 45 years he's talking about as opposed to 60?

That make a difference?

I like facts not made up numbers 😉 This man gets paid to write about RL. At least fact check rather than just put down anything he thinks sounds good.

I would like to see expansion and clubs outside the traditional areas. However, at this moment in time I would like to see a strong league with every club spending up to the cap and beyond. I think achieving that simple goal would do wonders for the competition. I think 12 clubs, and ideally 14 clubs doing that, is better for Super League than plonking a shell of a club in London (in the guise we see now with no real financial clout).

For me a key driver has to be the financials of clubs because if they are strong financially everything else can be achieved through minimum standards (hopefully and the grading process). If a club can commit to spending the salary cap, and where there are doubts around the dependency on an owner provide a bond, then I think they should be in regardless of location. If that means Leigh doing that courtesy of Beaumont, or if indeed Toulouse can commit to that, instead of London then so be it.

• Like 4

Just now, Derwent Parker said:

So do they get admitted to SL and the CF - 20M divided by 12 1.7 M each is divided by 20 so that will be 1M each.

Can't see that happening - the closed shop network will kick in and either they will stop making teams "A" for reasons as stated earlier - not having academies [when at same time won't allow them to have one].

Your final paragraph is just $tupid Greed burbling.

All we know right now is that they have said that there will always be space in the top tier for all Category A clubs.

We also know, because we've actually read the statement and followed what people were at the report launch have said, that there is baked-in commitment to supporting the sport as a whole. So no one is nicking your lunch money.

And also, as it's IMG's job, there's a big old chunk about increasing revenue not just in terms of TV revenue but *from literally every other possible avenue*.

It may not work. But probably best to try than get angry about imagined situations.

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Why should they if geography bans clubs I hope they dont vote for it. If the aim is to get to two conferences and Fev get criteria and can give sport 8k derby vs Wakefield wouldn’t we take it?

If 8k is your version of some kind of goal then I think you're on the wrong bus.

• Like 1

new rise.jpg

Just now, Gomersall said:

If sentoffagain’s Cat. A clubs are accurate

No one knows because the criteria and weighting haven't been finalised yet. So, no, they're not accurate.

And nobody is calling Hull KR one of the big four or five, are they?

• Haha 1

Just now, Dave T said:

I don't think having 20 Grade A clubs is the problem you are presenting it as. That would mean that the game has been hugely successful.

DISASTER

5 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

If we have 20 Grade A teams in 3 years then it will be bleeding fantastic!

I would imagine this criteria isn't set in stone either. As the competition grows and clubs get stronger (hopefully!) I'm sure the criteria to become Grade A will increase accordingly.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pulga said:

If 8k is your version of some kind of goal then I think you're on the wrong bus.

If this works properly then 8k should be the lowest crowd any top division club pulls in that season.

(It won't work that well but 8k should not be anyone's ambitious target crowd.)

• Like 2