IMG - Vote on Wednesday

3 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Yeah, I imagine Leigh probably are too, certainly if York and Featherstone are. Halifax, Bradford, Widnes and Barrow likely to be on board as well, I reckon. 

Yep, and I expect Mr Beaumont to go all out to finish above bottom place in SL next year, just as he would if we just carried on with P&R, but will that be enough to secure a SL position?

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Has any club even so much has hinted anything other than happiness?

I think there is a lot in this for so many of those larger historic clubs, the Halifax and Widnes of this world. They play in SL standard grounds as is and if they can get their act together, and/or a backer, they probably have an easier route to SL. It should be more appealing for investors too with a set path to follow. Whether RL can attract those investors is another matter.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

So what's your "lump it mean"

If IMG's proposals are rejected I expect they will walk away, so we stay as we are.

You are talking about the French clubs having a say. They dont, they will either have to accept what is proposed or they will be out.

If we had the proposed system in place today, what would next season's Super League look like? Leigh in/TO out? No change at all? Featherstone in/Salford out? Leigh and Featherstone in/Wakefield and TO out?

It isn't completely clear to me when the B clubs will receive their coefficient that ranks them for the following season (t1) - will it be at the start of season t0 or at the end of season t0? Presumably at the end of season t0. Right now, we'd be eagerly waiting on IMG and the RFL to publish a list of coefficients for B clubs. To be honest, I'd prefer to watch a Championship Grand Final!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Has any club even so much has hinted anything other than happiness?

So far I’ve only seen Featherstone release anything official (others have said Bradford and York have) so the rest is pure speculation. There hasn’t been anything particularly negative from any club but I suppose it would be jumping the gun given how few details we actually have here. 

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Let's wait to see the announcement on funding first, maybe some of the Championship clubs may change their minds if it is taken away.

Which brings up another question, considering any vote should be taken before the '23 season commences and there is going to be a time lag before the TV contracts are negotiated, then surely some committal has to be made how much funding will be paid, if then there is a further drop for the SL clubs tough, it should not be on a proviso.

You often criticise SL clubs and their treatment of the wider game - but some of the things you write are far more aggressive, unreasonable and offensive to SL clubs than would be accepted the other way. 

All the things you criticise others for, you demonstrate, just from a Leigh angle. 

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It's always interesting that we hear that clubs vote with self-interest all the time. We are seeing another example here of clubs supporting things that they view as right. 

To an extent yes.

That said I do think these proposals have been deliberately set out in a way that:

A) makes them more attractive and open to most clubs, and

B) the alternative is basically a non-starter.

17 hours ago, Just Browny said:

I don't think it is harsh at all, they have played by the rules and had an owner who has put up the money. But it has underlined to the others that just having an honest set of hard working lads won't be enough, they either have to find their own benefactor or they are stuck where they are. 

I'm not sure anyone has advocated 'having an honest set of hard working lads' should be enough, simply that on-field results trump off-field ones.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

If we had the proposed system in place today, what would next season's Super League look like? Leigh in/TO out? No change at all? Featherstone in/Salford out? Leigh and Featherstone in/Wakefield and TO out?

It isn't completely clear to me when the B clubs will receive their coefficient that ranks them for the following season (t1) - will it be at the start of season t0 or at the end of season t0? Presumably at the end of season t0. Right now, we'd be eagerly waiting on IMG and the RFL to publish a list of coefficients for B clubs. To be honest, I'd prefer to watch a Championship Grand Final!

You are correct regarding the timing of the club gradings being announced. The gradings used for 2025 will be announced at the end of the 2024 season for example. It can be seen in a screen grab from a journalist on twitter that was posted about 20 pages back. There will be a season under grading in 2024 where they are used for illustrative purposes only before they begin to affect demotion/promotion of clubs so clubs will have an idea of whether going up or down is a possibility in advance of 2025.

There should still be a Championship GF to watch, it just won't have promotion to SL determined by it. In RL terms the Championship and League 1 will be more analogous to the NSW/Queensland Cup competitions, something to be won in their own right rather than just a league to try to escape from. That will certainly be the end point for the proposed structure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

You are correct regarding the timing of the club gradings being announced. The gradings used for 2025 will be announced at the end of the 2024 season for example. It can be seen in a screen grab from a journalist on twitter that was posted about 20 pages back. There will be a season under grading in 2024 where they are used for illustrative purposes only before they begin to affect demotion/promotion of clubs so clubs will have an idea of whether going up or down is a possibility in advance of 2025.

There should still be a Championship GF to watch, it just won't have promotion to SL determined by it. In RL terms the Championship and League 1 will be more analogous to the NSW/Queensland Cup competitions, something to be won in their own right rather than just a league to try to escape from. That will certainly be the end point for the proposed structure.

Thanks for confirming when the rankings are updated. I'd been looking for that screenshot of a PPT.

I understand that P&R is off the menu now but I remain fairly unexcited by watching clubs move their coefficients up and down a little and would still rather have things decided by a big final. Oh well.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

To an extent yes.

That said I do think these proposals have been deliberately set out in a way that:

A) makes them more attractive and open to most clubs, and

B) the alternative is basically a non-starter.

We have had votes through that have ousted half a dozen clubs, we have had licensing through, we have had votes for French and Canadian teams in, we have had votes for S8, we have had votes for P&R. Many of those contradict each other. 

In reality, we have clubs and owners who vote for what they believe is right - the missing ingredient here has imo been a strong and credible leader and long term strategic direction. 

36 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I've only seen them at Bees...when are they moving ?

9 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Apparently next season and with licensing maybe they can make a better pitch to investors and council but athletics tracks make it impossible to build a crowd or atmosphere unless you are at full capacity. Multi use means no use in reality. 

Its a shame as Brum is even bigger than Leeds and there is no union team either so a decent club could be built but at an athletics track, I dont see it.

just no infrastructure in the sport at all. 

Guys, I literally typed Birmingham as the first non-traditional RL major city that came into my head. 🤣

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Of course the Bulls are in favour. According to the council, we are due to get started on turning Odsal into a major stadium with an £18million grant followed by another grant for £50million to make it a showpiece.

And the council is mustard on accountancy. It's currently spending £2million on block paving a stretch 5m-wide x 200m one way street and an associated courtyard at North Parade in the city centre. They've been doing it for about 6 weeks and it's still nowhere near finished.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

24 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Apparently next season and with licensing maybe they can make a better pitch to investors and council but athletics tracks make it impossible to build a crowd or atmosphere unless you are at full capacity. Multi use means no use in reality. 

Its a shame as Brum is even bigger than Leeds and there is no union team either so a decent club could be built but at an athletics track, I dont see it.

just no infrastructure in the sport at all. 

When I watch Skolars at New River I always think how rubbish having a track is..... Even a full Sarries suffers from this too

25 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

What point are you trying to make?

That those in favour of P&R, based on on-field performance, arent saying that just having a team that grafts will get you promoted, I read Just Browny's post as suggesting that Leigh have effectively ruined the idea of P&R by putting together a team that has walked the Championship and it's my contention that they have proven it works.

7 minutes ago, Tubby said:

I read Just Browny's post as suggesting that Leigh have effectively ruined the idea of P&R by putting together a team that has walked the Championship and it's my contention that they have proven it works.

It works if you get a parachute payment and funding distribution that dwarfs everyone else in your division, and then you recruit a team so filled with foreigners that it couldn't even take the field in Super League.

Thankfully, it seems, such nonsense won't get you anywhere in these plans.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)