IMG - Vote on Wednesday

1 minute ago, bobbruce said:

I can’t get the figure but I’m sure I read over £5m to the RFL and lower leagues. 

Indeed, £1.5 to £1.8 ish million to the 12 Super League clubs as I understand leaves that sort of figure.

At £25k a club, less than £300k of that is going to League 1. Less than some individual Championship clubs are getting.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Ahh the classic conflate professional teams outside of super league with amateur and junior rugby move...

To tell the truth, Super League would, like the NRL, probably run strong reserve/farm teams in the absence of the Championship and League 1, many of whom would take the form of clubs currently in those two leagues anyway.

And they're going to run junior teams from 6 years old? And pay for officials? And all the SL players who get loaned out to Championship and L1 clubs? Championship and L1 subsidise the need for Reserve

Just now, Wakefield Ram said:

And they're going to run junior teams from 6 years old? And pay for officials? And all the SL players who get loaned out to Championship and L1 clubs? Championship and L1 subsidise the need for Reserve

They pay the RFL for that, indeed with the new player levy the players/parents pay for u6s. None of that is done by Championship/League 1 clubs btw.

To an extent, they often provide a decent loan environment. Otherwise its a place for players not good enough at that time for Super League to earn some money playing rugby league.

On 02/10/2022 at 15:55, Derwent Parker said:

probably in the future, but not if you leave them to starve now.

But your kids must be 120 years old - isn't it time they went out to work?

Edited by Blind side johnny
  • Haha 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

40 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I can’t get the figure but I’m sure I read over £5m to the RFL and lower leagues. 

And the RFL absorbs most of that for their running costs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

31 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

And the RFL absorbs most of that for their running costs.

Does anyone have the figure that championship and league 1 clubs get under the new deal. I seem to remember some of it came with conditions. 

5 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Does anyone have the figure that championship and league 1 clubs get under the new deal. I seem to remember some of it came with conditions. 

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-finances-drop-revealed-21507431

This article seems to suggest £2million out of the £5million.

Also suggests that between 2015 and 2021, £24million was granted distributed to the Championship and League 1 (£4 million a season). 

29 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-finances-drop-revealed-21507431

Also suggests that between 2015 and 2021, £24million was granted distributed to the Championship and League 1 (£4 million a season). 

League 1 clubs got a maximum of £25k and a minimum of £12k; which is what Oldham got

1 minute ago, Roughyed Rats said:

League 1 clubs got a maximum of £25k and a minimum of £12k; which is what Oldham got

So £150k to League 1, and £1.85mill to the championship (ish). Clearly its Super League that are the problem here not looking after the lower tiers...

34 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

And part of that time SKY had the rights to show all the RL matches - so we should of had more - if your argument about what sky are paying for is right.

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

So £150k to League 1, and £1.85mill to the championship (ish). Clearly its Super League that are the problem here not looking after the lower tiers...

and dont forget 1.8 million to every single SG team - so every team in SL gets the same as the whole of the champ and about 11 times as much as the whole of League 1

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Roughyed Rats said:

Most people aren’t interested in whose at fault, they just want it sorting!!

That's fair, but there is a lot of anti-super league vitriol knocking about based on myths and non-truths and it is important to challenge those.

Ultimately until the Championship and League 1 bring in their own paying TV deal, then their central funding is entirely dependent on what Super League gets for their competition. We've seen a huge reduction in that amount in the last round, and that has impacted on the numbers to the lower divisions.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

and dont forget 1.8 million to every single SG team - so every team in SL gets the same as the whole of the champ and about 11 times as much as the whole of League 1

Not £1.8 million anymore so please debate in facts.

Considering SL have taken a cut, so it stands should everyone else who has hands in the pie. And considering Super League are the only ones generating the money, its reasonable to reinvest that in securing future money coming in. Otherwise, kiss goodbye to the Championship and League 1 getting any money at all.

10 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

And part of that time SKY had the rights to show all the RL matches - so we should of had more - if your argument about what sky are paying for is right.

They had the rights to the Championship as well as Super League (and a portion of the CC I believe - essentially the domestic portion that Premier have taken over). Remind me again how much did Premier recon that deal would be worth paying for?

18 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

That's fair, but there is a lot of anti-super league vitriol knocking about based on myths and non-truths and it is important to challenge those.

Ultimately until the Championship and League 1 bring in their own paying TV deal, then their central funding is entirely dependent on what Super League gets for their competition. We've seen a huge reduction in that amount in the last round, and that has impacted on the numbers to the lower divisions.

Well going off your location [Wakefield] let's see if you are spouting the same "facts" if your club has a couple of bad seasons and you are not getting the 1.8M whist out of SG.

different story then - wont it?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Not £1.8 million anymore so please debate in facts.

Considering SL have taken a cut, so it stands should everyone else who has hands in the pie. And considering Super League are the only ones generating the money, its reasonable to reinvest that in securing future money coming in. Otherwise, kiss goodbye to the Championship and League 1 getting any money at all.

Did every team take the same percentage cut - some L1 teams lost 66% - did Wakefield lose 66%?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

They don't in football, having 3000 Leeds fans there is costing Liverpool hand over fist on every ticket.

Nor in other major sports either.  In big time major pro leagues any money from "away fans" is trivial compared to the revenues from the home team's fans, TV, sponsorship, merchandise sales, etc. etc.

7 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

Well going off your location [Wakefield] let's see if you are spouting the same "facts" if your club has a couple of bad seasons and you are not getting the 1.8M whist out of SG.

different story then - wont it?

Odd to make a point about a club I don't support!

FWIW I understand Wakefield haven't received the full central funding distribution for quite a number of years due to the state of the ground. HTH.

If I supported a club outside Super League, based on the past 25 years I'd want Super League to get the biggest TV deal possible and for that to keep increasing each time; as that would see the greatest amount go to the Championship and League 1.

26 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It was the RFL who negotiated with Sky and accepted the deal which resulted in Super League clubs acceptance of it.

Then the ' elite ' led by Lenagan,brought Elstone into the picture for 'Commercial' reasons.That didn't go very well;accept for the money going out of the sport;to Elstone.

Despite Super League being a separate entity,it was the RFL who again negotiated.This time with the government, during Covid,and the acquired a loan that some Super League clubs required.

Before the loan was given,and accepted,the two separate entities were to reunite in harmony.

The vitriol was,and continues to be,from Super League club owners,and the followers of Super League clubs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

8 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

Did every team take the same percentage cut - some L1 teams lost 66% - did Wakefield lose 66%?

Super League clubs probably took as big a cut as they could and still provide a League that will pay the bills for them and everyone else. Indeed it amounted to roughly £300k per club.

Odd that the central funding to League 1 went down by AT LEAST 66% per club (some much much more than that ask @Roughyed Rats) when the central funding to the Championship and League 1 from the RFL only went down by 50%. Seems that some were looked after better than others.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Nor in other major sports either.  In big time major pro leagues any money from "away fans" is trivial compared to the revenues from the home team's fans, TV, sponsorship, merchandise sales, etc. etc.

There is a cap on ticket prices for away fans in the Premier League, £30. The FSA have wanted it reduced to £20 for years. As such away attendance is capped at 3000 or 10%(ish), whichever is lower. 

As you say these are trivial sums when compared with home attendees.

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Odd to make a point about a club I don't support!

FWIW I understand Wakefield haven't received the full central funding distribution for quite a number of years due to the state of the ground. HTH.

If I supported a club outside Super League, based on the past 25 years I'd want Super League to get the biggest TV deal possible and for that to keep increasing each time; as that would see the greatest amount go to the Championship and League 1.

Firstly, you state in your profile Wakefield /Leeds - If you had put West Wales - I would have assumed different.

Secondly - That is where we differ, I would like everyone treat equally

3 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

It was the RFL who negotiated with Sky and accepted the deal which resulted in Super League clubs acceptance of it.

Then the ' elite ' led by Lenagan,brought Elstone into the picture for 'Commercial' reasons.That didn't go very well;accept for the money going out of the sport;to Elstone.

Despite Super League being a separate entity,it was the RFL who again negotiated.This time with the government, during Covid,and the acquired a loan that some Super League clubs required.

Before the loan was given,and accepted,the two separate entities were to reunite in harmony.

The vitriol was,and continues to be,from Super League club owners,and the followers of Super League clubs.

There was a really good deal, the sky should have been fixed in the Championship and League 1 whilst the sun was shining. Now its back to reality across the game.

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Super League clubs probably took as big a cut as they could and still provide a League that will pay the bills for them and everyone else. Indeed it amounted to roughly £300k per club.

Odd that the central funding to League 1 went down by AT LEAST 66% per club (some much much more than that ask @Roughyed Rats) when the central funding to the Championship and League 1 from the RFL only went down by 50%. Seems that some were looked after better than others.

So, some SG clubs lost 300k out of 1.8Million - leaving £1.77Million

Some L1 teams lost 50K out of 75K - leaving £25k

Get a grip man 

It is unfair admit it - FFS

• Haha 1