IMG - Vote on Wednesday

gingerjon

46 minutes ago, Tubby said:

I agree the unequal distribution did no one any good, other than those players who were commanding higher wages, but that is an unavoidable consequence of increased funding in any scenario. The vast majority of the income from Sky was used to increase wages throughout the sport. 

I believe sufficient funding needs to be provided to allow teams a chance at maintaining their existence, but god alone knows where that funding will come from.

But I do believe that if we let the lower leagues fall by the wayside, we are doomed. 

But giving the club money and falling by wayside are different. Any extra cash in future has to go to infrastructure of target teams. It sounds like picking winners but I am not fussed. Sport badly needs a 3k ground for oldham and to regrow in manchester. That means not sharing equally.

Just now, ShropshireBull said:

But giving the club money and falling by wayside are different. Any extra cash in future has to go to infrastructure of target teams. It sounds like picking winners but I am not fussed. Sport badly needs a 3k ground for oldham and to regrow in manchester. That means not sharing equally.

This is an entirely different discussion as far as I am concerned. Equal funding is the way I see it, although obviously at different levels depending on the division you’re in, but what you’re talking about I see as grants/loans to match a clubs own funding for such things. But first, IMG need to find a way to increase income. 

Anyway, I’m off to try to work out how to get The Sportsman on my TV, so I can watch Swinton and Doncaster. 

49 minutes ago, Tubby said:

It’s a pointless argument, but we need to do enough to keep working whilst at the same time providing for our ‘family’.

But this always becomes ‘us and them’, when we used to be (and need to be) all ‘us’. 

RL is it one sport and whilst we need to make sure we provide a saleable product, we also need to keep a viable structure alive to provide the materials for that product. 

Absolutely 100% agree. That's why we should take the money we give to a handful of Championship clubs so they pretend to be full-time operations and instead give it to the community clubs. All of us, indeed.

• Like 1

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

4 minutes ago, Tubby said:

I personally don’t see CF as charity, it is RFL income and should be distributed accordingly. 

I’m aware that Championship funding used to be based on league position, but I will admit that I thought this was no longer the case, and I agree entirely that it should be distributed equitably. All Championship clubs should receive the same allocation. A cash prize for the finalists maybe makes sense, but I’m open to either option. 

Perhaps we’re not so far apart in our thinking, but I also think that the lower leagues support SL by being a part of the sport, increasing interest, nurturing and producing players. 

I agree it seems we aren't far away at all. 

Hopefully IMGs involvement will raise the standards of clubs and Leagues across the board and raise incomes on the back of that.

• Like 1

On 30/09/2022 at 17:42, Hemi4561 said:

Let's not hold our  breath for an answer. It would not surprise me if Jughead supports his own club to the death (of others), and has little interest in the wider community of the Championship and L1. 

That is very true, look at the threads for the Championship and L1 finals, not many of the fans of SL clubs have seemingly much interest.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

That is very true, look at the threads for the Championship and L1 finals, not many of the fans of SL clubs have seemingly much interest.

To be fair Harry, most people see the Championship final as a foregone conclusion. Not just SL fans.

On 30/09/2022 at 17:42, Hemi4561 said:

Let's not hold our  breath for an answer. It would not surprise me if Jughead supports his own club to the death (of others), and has little interest in the wider community of the Championship and L1. 

Saw this quoted in Harry's post. The phrase, "supports his own club to the death (of others)". Love it.

If he did think like that, it would hardly make him unique: it's the way most supporters of any team in any sport think.

(Not me though. Or, at least, I hope not.)

Edited by Stuff Smith

23 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Again, you do realise why Sky pay this money don't you? 

You seem to be of the impression it's free money that should be distributed equally amongst all member clubs. 

May I suggest you go watch the amateur leagues if the distribution of money to pay players upsets you? Professional sport clearly isn't for you.

Super League wouldn't exist without junior rugby, amateur rugby, Championship and League One for both players and officials. Unless there's any players in SL who only took the game up at 18 in a SL Academy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

The only reason they’d be starving is a couple of fat kids in the family are eating all the food. 

Exactly, even now there is lots of money going into the Championship and League 1, its not Super League's fault they are rubbish at divvying it up fairly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Super League wouldn't exist without junior rugby, amateur rugby, Championship and League One for both players and officials. Unless there's any players in SL who only took the game up at 18 in a SL Academy.

Ahh the classic conflate professional teams outside of super league with amateur and junior rugby move...

To tell the truth, Super League would, like the NRL, probably run strong reserve/farm teams in the absence of the Championship and League 1, many of whom would take the form of clubs currently in those two leagues anyway.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Exactly, even now there is lots of money going into the Championship and League 1, its not Super League's fault they are rubbish at divvying it up fairly.

I can’t get the figure but I’m sure I read over £5m to the RFL and lower leagues. 

1 minute ago, bobbruce said:

I can’t get the figure but I’m sure I read over £5m to the RFL and lower leagues. 

I Know Ken Davy said that was agreed, but I can’t find anywhere that confirms how it was used. That was the figure that was being allocated to the RFL as a governing body. 

I thought the allocation being based on league positions wasn’t the case now. 

1 minute ago, bobbruce said:

Indeed, £1.5 to £1.8 ish million to the 12 Super League clubs as I understand leaves that sort of figure.

At £25k a club, less than £300k of that is going to League 1. Less than some individual Championship clubs are getting.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Ahh the classic conflate professional teams outside of super league with amateur and junior rugby move...

To tell the truth, Super League would, like the NRL, probably run strong reserve/farm teams in the absence of the Championship and League 1, many of whom would take the form of clubs currently in those two leagues anyway.

And they're going to run junior teams from 6 years old? And pay for officials? And all the SL players who get loaned out to Championship and L1 clubs? Championship and L1 subsidise the need for Reserve

Just now, Wakefield Ram said:

And they're going to run junior teams from 6 years old? And pay for officials? And all the SL players who get loaned out to Championship and L1 clubs? Championship and L1 subsidise the need for Reserve

They pay the RFL for that, indeed with the new player levy the players/parents pay for u6s. None of that is done by Championship/League 1 clubs btw.

To an extent, they often provide a decent loan environment. Otherwise its a place for players not good enough at that time for Super League to earn some money playing rugby league.

On 02/10/2022 at 15:55, Derwent Parker said:

probably in the future, but not if you leave them to starve now.

But your kids must be 120 years old - isn't it time they went out to work?

Edited by Blind side johnny
  • Haha 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

40 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

And the RFL absorbs most of that for their running costs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

31 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

And the RFL absorbs most of that for their running costs.

Does anyone have the figure that championship and league 1 clubs get under the new deal. I seem to remember some of it came with conditions. 

5 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Does anyone have the figure that championship and league 1 clubs get under the new deal. I seem to remember some of it came with conditions. 

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-finances-drop-revealed-21507431

This article seems to suggest £2million out of the £5million.

Also suggests that between 2015 and 2021, £24million was granted distributed to the Championship and League 1 (£4 million a season). 

29 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-finances-drop-revealed-21507431

This article seems to suggest £2million out of the £5million.

Also suggests that between 2015 and 2021, £24million was granted distributed to the Championship and League 1 (£4 million a season). 

League 1 clubs got a maximum of £25k and a minimum of £12k; which is what Oldham got

1 minute ago, Roughyed Rats said:

League 1 clubs got a maximum of £25k and a minimum of £12k; which is what Oldham got

So £150k to League 1, and £1.85mill to the championship (ish). Clearly its Super League that are the problem here not looking after the lower tiers...