Mac gone

Now the dust has settled I think BM was on a hiidng to nothing we assembled a squad we thought good enough to get promotion  but Leigh's late recruitment blew every body away so that was never going to happen 

On top of that there were fans who hated him  from the get-go and  wanted him gone  before a ball was kicked

Bottom line if we had won the GF and got promoted to SL there are fans who's dislike  for the man would still have been shouting  OUT OUT OUT!!!!!!!

i can understand fans frustration but a coach can only play the hand he's dealt it wasn't his fault some players forgot how to defend so I find it silly that peope get so hetup about the coach  Personally I couldnt care less who he is  I watch the team not the coach #UTR

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, POR said:

Now the dust has settled I think BM was on a hiidng to nothing we assembled a squad we thought good enough to get promotion  but Leigh's late recruitment blew every body away so that was never going to happen 

On top of that there were fans who hated him  from the get-go and  wanted him gone  before a ball was kicked

Bottom line if we had won the GF and got promoted to SL there are fans who's dislike  for the man would still have been shouting  OUT OUT OUT!!!!!!!

i can understand fans frustration but a coach can only play the hand he's dealt it wasn't his fault some players forgot how to defend so I find it silly that peope get so hetup about the coach  Personally I couldnt care less who he is  I watch the team not the coach #UTR

I've never been a particular fan of McDermott, but neither was I calling for his head, but you have to acknowledge we were playing much better rugby with possibly a slightly worse (debatable) team before he came?  The defensive structure comes from the coach, the style of play comes from the coach and both of these factors were demonstrably worse at the end of the season than at the beginning.

I honestly think with a different coach we would have at least played more attractive rugby this season, which would have been far better to watch.  Perhaps the style of rugby is secondary to ultimate success, but if you ultimately fail anyway (and who amongst us honestly thought we were doing ok after half a dozen matches?) what's the benefit of the negative rugby?

I appreciate it's all conjecture, but the team looked like they were playing to a pattern that didn't suit them, we let players go that were proven match winners and to me at least, the season has been a let down.  Even when we were winning games, we looked disjointed and disorganised.  I can't see past the coach when these fundamental structures aren't working.

The fact we weren't promoted isn't the problem, it's how we arrived here that causes me to believe McDermott wasn't right for us.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Tubby said:

I've never been a particular fan of McDermott, but neither was I calling for his head, but you have to acknowledge we were playing much better rugby with possibly a slightly worse (debatable) team before he came?  The defensive structure comes from the coach, the style of play comes from the coach and both of these factors were demonstrably worse at the end of the season than at the beginning.

I honestly think with a different coach we would have at least played more attractive rugby this season, which would have been far better to watch.  Perhaps the style of rugby is secondary to ultimate success, but if you ultimately fail anyway (and who amongst us honestly thought we were doing ok after half a dozen matches?) what's the benefit of the negative rugby?

I appreciate it's all conjecture, but the team looked like they were playing to a pattern that didn't suit them, we let players go that were proven match winners and to me at least, the season has been a let down.  Even when we were winning games, we looked disjointed and disorganised.  I can't see past the coach when these fundamental structures aren't working.

The fact we weren't promoted isn't the problem, it's how we arrived here that causes me to believe McDermott wasn't right for us.

Team spirit goes a long way too when you take things into consideration. This is first and foremost generated down to the players through the coach. People are different and if you take a look at clips of Ryan Carr for instance after our play off win at Leigh in 2019 he was beside himself with joy like us speccies were at the time. It enthused the players on the field. I'm aware coaches have different styles but it was just a case that Brian's style did not fit with some players and it showed unfortunately. However I blame Batley🙄😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Tubby said:

I agree wholeheartedly  T but to  put it into perspective I watched them train and cos I loved tackling watched closely the defensive drills and they looked good unfortunately against batley never saw any of them used so that's down to the players not doing what they are shown in training not the coach 😭

• Like 1

1 hour ago, POR said:

I agree wholeheartedly  T but to  put it into perspective I watched them train and cos I loved tackling watched closely the defensive drills and they looked good unfortunately against batley never saw any of them used so that's down to the players not doing what they are shown in training not the coach 😭

Thanks POR, I've never been to a training session so I'll bow to your greater knowledge, but they were defensively bad for pretty much the whole season and the coach needs to be able to rectify that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, POR said:

I always have this nagging doubt in some of the big promotion games. Teams with quite a few old ex SL players in the squad, just how much do they really want to win them?

They will be fully aware that they are no longer good enough to play in a higher division, which is why they are plying their trade in the CH, and likely to be moved on if the club wins the GF. 

As a player, do you slog your guts out and put everything in, to essentially put yourself out of a job at the end of the season?

As a coach, how do you motivate players in that position? Do you have enough younger players in the squad, with enough quality to win the big games, when needed to replace the older players that might have got you there?

Edited by DOGFATHER
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tubby said:

Thanks POR, I've never been to a training session so I'll bow to your greater knowledge, but they were defensively bad for pretty much the whole season and the coach needs to be able to rectify that.

That's true T but if your showing them what to do  and they don't maybe thats  down to the club not the  coach and in hindsight we could  have moved them on and brought in someone in who would listen🤣

3 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

As a player, do you slog your guts out and put everything in, to essentially put yourself out of a job at the end of the season?

In that case D they could always go to te Dogs 🤣🤣🤣

8 minutes ago, POR said:

That's true T but if your showing them what to do  and they don't maybe thats  down to the club not the  coach and in hindsight we could  have moved them on and brought in someone in who would listen🤣

In that case D they could always go to te Dogs 🤣🤣🤣

Fair enough, other than Powell art Warrington this year, I've never known a coach need to remove the entire team to make it work.

2 hours ago, POR said:

It's the coaches job to make the players play well.........we have a squad of proven quality at this level and not reaching the final is very poor really.  

It's like he was preparing a style of rugby to combat a team that didn't exist....

Listen to him in the video from last week (around 29 minutes in) doesn't make sense to me when you see what they produced on the pitch.

Batley stood up to our conservative one man rugby and we didn't offer much else til the last 20 minutes when I think the players threw the game plan out of the window and had a go.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

1 minute ago, tuutaisrambo said:

It's the coaches job to make the players play well.........we have a squad of proven quality at this level and not reaching the final is very poor really.  

It's like he was preparing a style of rugby to combat a team that didn't exist....

Listen to him in the video from last week (around 29 minutes in) doesn't make sense to me when you see what they produced on the pitch.

Batley stood up to our conservative one man rugby and we didn't offer much else til the last 20 minutes when I think the players threw the game plan out of the window and had a go.

Exactly, spent 2/3 of game being totally predictable. 

4 minutes ago, tuutaisrambo said:

If you listen, its sounds like your lot were already in the final! mcdermott (a weird bloke I might add) had been coaching your lot all week on how to beat leigh in the final rather than how to beat Batley in the semi, pure arrogance if you ask me, probably thought our boys would bow down to your superior arrogance an just roll over! Top tip for your next coach! Before training for the final make sure he gets you there first!🤣🤣 UP THE MIGHTY BULLDOGS!! 

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, The scrim reaper said:

If you listen, its sounds like your lot were already in the final! mcdermott (a weird bloke I might add) had been coaching your lot all week on how to beat leigh in the final rather than how to beat Batley in the semi, pure arrogance if you ask me, probably thought our boys would bow down to your superior arrogance an just roll over! Top tip for your next coach! Before training for the final make sure he gets you there first!🤣🤣 UP THE MIGHTY BULLDOGS!! 

More assumptions of how arrogant we all are. I'll remember this when deciding whether to bring a car full to Batley next season. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tubby said:

Summed  up perfectly.

Edited by Fevrover
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

The last 20 minutes of the game was how to beat Batley. Spread the ball, run angles, drag people out of position. For some reason our former super coach decided that an arm wrestle was the best way to beat them.

Super coach, Super Ted would have done better 😆 glad you said FORMER!

1 hour ago, lingaro said:

More assumptions of how arrogant we all are. I'll remember this when deciding whether to bring a car full to Batley next season. 

I'm not  aiming this  at the supporters, it's the players and coach it's aimed at they actually do say they have been concentrating  on how to beat leigh in the final, not even mentioning the possibility that they might lose to Batley first, if that's not arrogance  what is? 

1 minute ago, The scrim reaper said:

I'm not  aiming this  at the supporters, it's the players and coach it's aimed at they actually do say they have been concentrating  on how to beat leigh in the final, not even mentioning the possibility that they might lose to Batley first, if that's not arrogance  what is? 

I can only think they were brain washed by big Mac lol.

4 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

I can only think they were brain washed by big Mac lol.

Don't know about brain washed!! after watching the interview I couldn't work out what the hell he was talking about! Especially the bit about losing to make you better winners and no team should win every game cos you don't learn anything! Sounds like he's round the fk twist to me🤣

Edited by The scrim reaper
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, The scrim reaper said:

Don't know about brain washed!! after watching the interview I couldn't work out what the hell he was talking about! Especially the bit about losing to make you better winners and no team should win every game cos you don't learn anything! Sounds like he's round the fk twist to me🤣

Yer definitely right there, he said it before and i said to folk what's point us spending our money watching em if we've got to lose some ? I want to win and every team loses but to say we have to lose some to learn. Well we did lose some and it told him/ us we weren't good enough but i still don't think he could grasp it  -thank goodness he's gone.

3 hours ago, lingaro said:

Can I just say as a Batley fan,both before and after the game,I never spoke to any Fev fan who were arrogant or disparaging in any way to Me or my team.

all the ones I spoke to or heard were highly complimentary of the way we played and took the defeat in good grace.

a classy set of fans indeed.

and had we lost the game I would have enjoyed the day just as much (seriously).....to me it was a good old fashioned day out watching the game I love.

did I expect us to win? No.

will we win next Sunday?

of course we won't. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

21 hours ago, lingaro said:

Not Campbell's money old 🐓 our clubs self sustainable unlike yours! 

We didn't spend a million quid to fuel our failure🤣🤣

It was a natural progression of leaving a coach too long in a position 🤔

Let's remember

Hooley

Walshaw

Morton

Flynn

We're all deemed not good enough for the team by the coach🤔

Couldn't spot a nipple in a barrel of t.iTs could the lad unfortunately 

We'll bounce back next year, a reboot was overdue🤔