Annoying RL phrases

Moscow01

I really don't like it when commentators refer to a half as a 'stanza'.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Yardage out of play, control the ruck. Both phrases confuse me.

Also ‘you’re useless Childs’ (Child) and ‘shut up Tompkins’ (Tomkins). I can’t see football fans calling Haaland by the name of Haalands so why do we struggle to get names right?!

• Like 2

What we need to do moving forward is put the right structures in place , in terms of the framework moving forward. We’re ring fencing the funding and trending in the right direction and with a holistic vision we can move forward and with the bandwidth to think outside the box we should be able to achieve success moving forward . Our new coach was the standout candidate among a high quality field , and his presentation and vision to the board impressed us all . He ticked all the boxes and will have a wide ranging remit which will see the club on a sustained footing … moving forward 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

"X person... gone"

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 hours ago, SJD said:

"Play the balls", there's only one ball.  I'm sure my English Master would know the proper grammar, but having said that he died about 40 years ago so I can't ask him. 

"Play-the-ball" would be a hyphenated noun, or "play the ball" would be a noun phrase, so there's nothing wrong with making it a plural. Context is key. Nothing wrong with this one.

• Like 2
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

2 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

What's the issue with this one?

I don't mind edges or middles in modern RL language.  I think it describes the role of the prop and second row better than.... well, prop and second row.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I came on here thinking "God I bet there's loads of sayings I agree with!" but having read a few feel the need to defend half of them!

Half of these are useful phrases and exist for that reason. Edges, middles, yardage are all terms that offer something particularly useful for example. But they are terms that didn't exist X years ago so are therefore bad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richard de la Riviere said:

“Fifth and last”

should either be “fifth and penultimate” or “sixth and last” given there are six tackles in a set! 

I take it as meaning "that was the fifth tackle and this is the last play before a turnover. It tells you the tackle number (that's what the ref counts in) and warns you of the last play.

"Sixth and last" makes it sound like the 6th tackle has already been made. You could obviously argue that it means 6th play, but as the referee counts the tackles, it's just confusing.

So another I disagree with. Nothing wrong with "fifth and last" for me!

God, I'm in an argumentative mood 🤣

Edited by Wellsy4HullFC
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Just now, Wellsy4HullFC said:

God, I'm in an argumentative mood

No you're not.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I don't mind edges or middles in modern RL language.  I think it describes the role of the prop and second row better than.... well, prop and second row.

4 minutes ago, V02 said:

Half of these are useful phrases and exist for that reason. Edges, middles, yardage are all terms that offer something particularly useful for example. But they are terms that didn't exist X years ago so are therefore bad.

Agree completely.

37 minutes ago, metallithrax said:

The one that really gets me is "2/3/4 score lead" etc.

In their eyes a 2 score lead is 12 points, but the minimum number of scores needed to pull back 12 points is 3.  I know what they are getting at, but it is incorrect and it annoys me.

No it's not.

If you're winning 1-0 in football, you don't have a 2 goal lead, do you! You have a 1 goal lead as if the other team scores then you're no longer leading, you're drawing.

If you're winning by 12 points in rugby league, it takes a minimum of two scores (via 2 converted tries) to take that lead away.

You're wrong on this one.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Oh yes I am!

(I'm actually starring in a panto this Christmas, so thought I'd get some early practice in 🤣)

Oh I'm sorry, is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

53 minutes ago, metallithrax said:

The one that really gets me is "2/3/4 score lead" etc.

In their eyes a 2 score lead is 12 points, but the minimum number of scores needed to pull back 12 points is 3.  I know what they are getting at, but it is incorrect and it annoys me.

I don't think it is incorrect, it is 2 scores to get even. 

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

Yardage out of play, control the ruck. Both phrases confuse me.

Also ‘you’re useless Childs’ (Child) and ‘shut up Tompkins’ (Tomkins). I can’t see football fans calling Haaland by the name of Haalands so why do we struggle to get names right?!

The worst: "Rob Burrows"

• Like 5