Annoying RL phrases

Moscow01

10 minutes ago, creditwhereitsdews said:

Field goal

I agree with you.  This is modern Australian usage, I think, and it does not take into account that there used to be field goals in our game, but they were different from drop goals.

That said, on the whole, I am quite tolerant of commentators' turns of phrase, even if, over time, they become a bit predictable. 

The exception to that rule would be "It all depends on who wants this most" and variations thereon.  This is just stupid and lazy.  The idea that either team contesting, say, a grand final or cup final, would make the effort to get that far and then decide they weren't that bothered about winning is patently preposterous.

My gripes would tend to be more about visual presentation and, in particular, a manic desire to show replays of comparatively trivial incidents, like a fumble leading to a knock-on, or, when a coach is referred to in commentary, the assumption that we must see him, as he watches the game intently, something which, for the moment, we are not able to do, though we would almost certainly like to!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

No it's not.

If you're winning 1-0 in football, you don't have a 2 goal lead, do you! You have a 1 goal lead as if the other team scores then you're no longer leading, you're drawing.

If you're winning by 12 points in rugby league, it takes a minimum of two scores (via 2 converted tries) to take that lead away.

You're wrong on this one.

But 2 converted tries is 4 scores, 2x tries and 2x conversions.  The conversion is a separate score to the try.

Just now, metallithrax said:

But you still have 4 scores to make, 2x tries and 2x conversions.

You are the first person I have ever met to think of it that way. I think 2 scores is the perfectly normal way to describe it as you have to score twice. I have never heard anyone refer to a conversion as a score.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

You are the first person I have ever met to think of it that way. I think 2 scores is the perfectly normal way to describe it as you have to score twice. I have never heard anyone refer to a conversion as a score.

I do understand why it is said like that, but in my eyes you still have to score the conversion which would make a converted try 2x scores.

23 minutes ago, Damien said:

Quite right, its 'adding the extras' 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

This is modern Australian usage, I think, and it does not take into account that there used to be field goals in our game, but they were different from drop goals.

A little bit of an aside from the topic at hand, but..

The last time we discussed this on this board I spent ages pouring over old footage of Rugby League games to see if I could see a field goal, or speculator, being scored; a kick through the posts from the ground in open play without using the hands.

It was abolished in 1950 but I couldn't find one from all the old footage available through the news archives (of course I didn't look at all the footage, but I looked at a lot).

I don't know why, but I would like to see an example being scored even if it is only a couple of seconds of footage.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

43 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

My gripes would tend to be more about visual presentation and, in particular, a manic desire to show replays of comparatively trivial incidents, like a fumble leading to a knock-on, 

Agree with most of what you`ve said, but not this.

Possession is more important in RL than in any other code of football, with the possible exception of Gridiron.

Hence, an incident that leads to a transfer of possession is never trivial. It should always be replayed. The fact that it currently sometimes won`t be is a sign that TV directors don`t understand the game.