Annoying RL phrases

Moscow01

1 hour ago, Gomersall said:

People saying Eff See and Kay Arr when they should be saying Hull and Rovers.

Unless this is a case of mistaken identity, you picked me up for doing that in your previous deluded incarnation.

Do Rovers fans see it this way?

I`ll go with the Black-and-White view in any case. Mainly out of respect for the classic jersey. Second best in the game. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Unless this is a case of mistaken identity, you picked me up for doing that in your previous deluded incarnation.

Do Rovers fans see it this way?

I`ll go with the Black-and-White view in any case. Mainly out of respect for the classic jersey. Second best in the game. 

Curses. I would have got away with it but for you meddling kids.

• Like 1

Not really annoying phrases that wind me up but commentators’ inability to speak properly. In particular the pronunciation of the letter t or th.

Terry O’Connor, apart from not knowing the difference between “as well” and “either”, constantly seems to recall incidents from two fousand and firteen, and highlights certain players as frets on the field.

I just can’t listen to the commentator on Radio Manchester because he is always referring to the action being on the twenny, thirdy  or fordy meeder line or the cender of the field. Now the guy on channel 4 has started doing it too, Mark Wilson?

If these are because of speech defects I hold my hands up and apologise and sympathise but if they are just lazy affectations please star speaking properly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

Not really annoying phrases that wind me up but commentators’ inability to speak properly. In particular the pronunciation of the letter t or th.

Terry O’Connor, apart from not knowing the difference between “as well” and “either”, constantly seems to recall incidents from two fousand and firteen, and highlights certain players as frets on the field.

I just can’t listen to the commentator on Radio Manchester because he is always referring to the action being on the twenny, thirdy  or fordy meeder line or the cender of the field. Now the guy on channel 4 has started doing it too, Mark Wilson?

If these are because of speech defects I hold my hands up and apologise and sympathise but if they are just lazy affectations please star speaking properly.

Do you think Tez curs what people say about him?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Live after death said:

Grub, Grubby, an no Australian phrase crept into our game and i hate it, nothing wrong with dirty b’tard our shithouse. 
see recent post started  about Grubbiest 

I quite like grub it means something different to dirty B@£tard. Grub is mores wind up merchant like a Luai ,Reynolds, Conner or Smithies. 

On 01/10/2022 at 12:08, Chalky said:

Ha ha ha. That's a perfect impression of Trevor Hunt, the commentator, even though it's written!

• 3 weeks later...

"Get back to what they were doing"

Which, along with "stick to our processes", means doing next to nothing with the ball.

How many people want to pay 50 quid to see RL teams stick to their processes and get back to what they were doing for 80 minutes?

On Saturday, the commentators seemed to quite enjoy watching the Fijians not stick to their processes and not get back to what they were doing. Despite that, next time they see a handling error they`ll be firmly of the view that everybody should stick to their processes and get back to what they were doing. Imparted as sage and original insight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 24/10/2022 at 22:52, unapologetic pedant said:

"Get back to what they were doing"

Which, along with "stick to our processes", means doing next to nothing with the ball.

How many people want to pay 50 quid to see RL teams stick to their processes and get back to what they were doing for 80 minutes?

On Saturday, the commentators seemed to quite enjoy watching the Fijians not stick to their processes and not get back to what they were doing. Despite that, next time they see a handling error they`ll be firmly of the view that everybody should stick to their processes and get back to what they were doing. Imparted as sage and original insight.

Doing the unexpected, is what made Salford so popular (and successful) this season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Doing the unexpected, is what made Salford so popular (and successful) this season. 

Salford will never be too popular with we, the chosen few in blue and white, but you make a very good point.

Some NRL teams used more short kick-offs and goal-line dropouts this year. Been encouraging to see this trend continue in the WC. Hope it`s a sign that the general logjam in tactical thinking might be breaking.

The tournament has confirmed my view that we need to amend the rulebook if we want more variety in the game. Top of the list, the iniquitous back-to-one charge down rule.

I`m officially retired from discussion of the PTB, so won`t go into any detail of that. It`s obvious from the outcome on the field how the RFL/NRL negotiations went. And the trade-off was the NRL got their way on ball-stealing. Which has helped produce more swings and unpredictability (Lebanon v Ireland especially).

Among the Peter V`landys rule changes, the one the WC should have emphatically rejected is the lateral turnover. I`d like someone to watch the routine from the point at which the ball crosses the touchline to about tackle 4 on the following set and explain how that pedestrian mind-numbing going-through-the-motions would awaken enthusiasm for RL.

• Like 1