Annoying RL phrases

Moscow01

15 hours ago, meast said:

"For our readers at home"

As you were 😌

I have an irrational hatred of the Brian Noble using the phrase "for our viewers at home" and it also seems to have been passed on to other commentators and pundits.

Has everything else he's been saying just been a private conversation between him and the commentator/host? If you're co-commentating or doing punditry surely everything you're saying is for the viewers? And it often precedes something so obvious that it doesn't need any explanation at all. 

"Just for our viewers at home, you don't want to let the ball bounce as it's not round and could go anywhere." Thanks Brian for sharing that little nugget of information with the humble viewer. 

Edited by EagleEyePie
  • Like 2

On 27/10/2022 at 17:37, langpark said:

Have not read the other pages. Has the word "star" gotten a mention yet? Seemingly always used instead of the word "player". 

West Wales Raiders star ______....

Most over-used and abused word in our sport, by a mile. 

YES!!!!! 

i imagine it's mainly employed as a clickbait word these days though like 'Giants star joins championship side' to find out Aidan McGowan, an Academy player and fringe 1st teamer, who will be a star, has joined Batley on loan.

I think the description of 'star' just refers to anyone with a squad number or who's played a 1st team game.

• Like 1

On the 'viewers at home thing' which Amor has now nicked, it originally came in during a World cup/4 nations i think as Nobby was and did refer to 'new viewers watching the sport for the 1st time' and trying to explain what was happening and what the rules were etc but now it's just been shortened to 'the viewers' in a collective term, it's really annoying.

16 hours ago, daz39 said:

it originally came in during a World cup/4 nations i think as Nobby was and did refer to 'new viewers watching the sport for the 1st time' and trying to explain what was happening and what the rules were etc 

If that`s the case, his continued use of the phrase is tacit admission that viewers are none the wiser from all his punditry since he said it the first time. So, however annoying, it is at least securely rooted in fact.

17 hours ago, EagleEyePie said:

"Just for our viewers at home, you don't want to let the ball bounce as it's not round and could go anywhere." Thanks Brian for sharing that little nugget of information with the humble viewer. 

The above "nugget" could be part of the enlightenment we regularly receive from pitch side reports of what the coaches have been saying at halftime.

I think Tanya revealed during the opening game that Shaun had told his players to "keep them away from our try-line". Would love to hear Nobby interpret that one, for our viewers at home.

Can`t really complain. The Beeb did give full warning in their pre-tournament blurb to expect expert analysis from their expert analysts.