Brian McDermott.......Gone!!

I'm surprised that the Featherstone fans here - many of whom have been calling for McDermott to go - are seemingly bereft of suggestions as to a replacement.

All I've seen so far is the idea of trying to lure Craig Lingard!

I thought you'd all have a raft of better coaches in mind 🤓

• Like 1

20 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

He lost the dressing room in April.

no wonder he couldn't get results if he couldn't even find where the players were getting changed!

• Haha 6

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

36 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I'm surprised that the Featherstone fans here - many of whom have been calling for McDermott to go - are seemingly bereft of suggestions as to a replacement.

Stop being silly. 

No one pro-actively campaigned for Rohan Smith. No one even knew of Ryan Carr...

There's an element of trust in the people making the decision to make the right one

• Like 3

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

22 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

Campbell appointed the coach. Surely he has to take some accountability. He got the coaching appointment very wrong did he not?

Yes. He did. At the time, with the exception of the comments about small clubs, he looked a fantastic appointment. 

It's sport, you can't get every decision right, but if the logic is correct and the coach doesn't work, what else can you do?

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

57 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

What a stupid comment.

• Like 1

Coaching/managing a sports team is always a difficult one , sometimes a coach just ' fits ' into a club , or certain type of club , but can struggle when moving up or down the ' ladder ' 

Ian Millward walked into a struggling Leigh and shook everything up , the whole feeling at the club changed , Paul Terzis followed him in and managed to continue that for another 2/3 years , Basil walked into Saints as they were SL champions and continued their success , he struggled at Wigan and CAS and only had further success again at Leigh 

Powell landed Leeds too early , but then rebuilt his worth at Fev and continued that at CAS , this coming season will be interesting at Wire 

McDermott at Leeds ? Was it him ? , Or was that squad just that good ? 

As fans we know ALL the answers , but the owners never give us a chance ? , Bstards 😉

1 hour ago, Fevrover said:

What a stupid comment.

Not at all

When John Kear left us earlier this year, there were a multitude of suggestions from our fans. 

Of course, we ended up with someone we didn't want, but that's not really the point.

Rugby League fans have opinions on these things. What's yours? I mean, I thought this was forum...

2 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Stop being silly. 

No one pro-actively campaigned for Rohan Smith. No one even knew of Ryan Carr...

There's an element of trust in the people making the decision to make the right one

So RL supporters don't have opinions of their own?

Funny, I could have sworn this was a forum.

I don't understand why Fev fans are being so coy. They've been telling us for months that Mark Campbell made a mistake in appointing McDermott.

Who would they like instead? It's a perfectly reasonable question

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Not at all

When John Kear left us earlier this year, there were a multitude of suggestions from our fans. 

Of course, we ended up with someone we didn't want, but that's not really the point.

Rugby League fans have opinions on these things. What's yours? I mean, I thought this was forum...

Here's a coach for you that's available. He's not English but he's coached over here before. would a certain Michael Maguire fit what you're looking for from Fev fans.

3 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Not at all

Fans can suggest who they want and there will be plenty do but it won't make a blind bit of difference to who we get. 

6 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Not at all

I don't mind Mark Dunning being appointed. He was handed a poisoned chalice and had to see the season out with disaffected players. He deserves a chance next season.

Since when did Rohan Smith have a glittering playing career? Doesn't stop him being a good coach. Same goes for Matt Peet and Mike Eccles.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

I don't understand why Fev fans are being so coy. They've been telling us for months that Mark Campbell made a mistake in appointing McDermott.

This Fev fan's preference would be Ryan Carr, but that ship has sailed.

MC has made mistakes before in appointing coaching staff and is always big enough to admit it.  We'll get a new one, get behind him and give him a chance, just like we did with Big Mac.

Edited by David Shepherd
  • Like 1

Interesting to see where McDermott ends up next. He did a good job at keeping Leeds performing while the star players were there but was utterly exposed when the time came to rebuild the side. He was stubborn to the point of ridicule at times, and really seemed to believe in his own genius. With the benefit of hindsight we'd probably have been a lot better off if he'd left along with Sinfield and co in 2015, or after the 2017 win at the very latest.

13 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Doing it this way PW71 will just gives us 50 names as there are so many different preferences across the fan base. There's only one preference that matters and that's Mr Campbell's. I'll leave it up to him and then get behind the new coach, whoever it is.

• Like 2

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

13 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Not at all

If you'd bothered to look on the Fev forum you'd have seen that there's a whole thread on who should be next with the same type of sound, perfectly likely candidates as suggested by Bulls' fans earlier this season....

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep

23 hours ago, binosh said:

The worrying thing for Featherstone is they have announced the re-signings for 2023 of most of the ageing players that have let them down this year.

Id take Bussey at Leigh in a FT environment with FT training, I’d be confident Lam could bring the best out of him.

LOL, worrying? Fev have announced the re-signing of Kheirallah, Leilua, Springer, Kopczak, Moors, Davies, Briscoe, Ford, Hall, Hardcastle etc. If virtually any other Championship side had prised some of those guys away from Fev their fans would be delighted.

Then in your next breath you're trumpeting the rumoured signing for Leigh of probably the only remaining out-of-contract player I would have liked to have kept?

For months we have been reading that whichever team out of Leigh or Fev didn't get promoted would implode as a result of this season's spending, but now it's meant to be worrying for Featherstone because that implosion doesn't seem to be happening?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

LOL, worrying? Fev have announced the re-signing of Kheirallah, Leilua, Springer, Kopczak, Moors, Davies, Briscoe, Ford, Hall, Hardcastle etc. If virtually any other Championship side had prised some of those guys away from Fev their fans would be delighted.

Then in your next breath you're trumpeting the rumoured signing for Leigh of probably the only remaining out-of-contract player I would have liked to have kept?

For months we have been reading that whichever team out of Leigh or Fev didn't get promoted would implode as a result of this season's spending, but now it's meant to be worrying for Featherstone because that implosion doesn't seem to be happening?

Despite Sunday's result against Batley, the majority of championship clubs would love to be in the position that Featherstone are in, i.e. decent fan base, owning their own facilities which are used by the community, as offices, for football etc. Instead of wondering why their club can't / hasn't done this, it makes it easier to predict Featherstone's doom.

4 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

It’s worrying because all these old fellas are another year old next year and they huffed and puffed through this season. What makes you think a new coach will improve them?

And I wasn’t trumpeting any rumour, merely stating that the only player I’d take off Featherstone for my team if he wanted a crack at FT would be Bussey.

7 minutes ago, binosh said:

It’s worrying because all these old fellas are another year old next year and they huffed and puffed through this season. What makes you think a new coach will improve them?

And I wasn’t trumpeting any rumour, merely stating that the only player I’d take off Featherstone for my team if he wanted a crack at FT would be Bussey.

Bussey's done full time at both Broncos and Toronto. He's now happily settled in a job, so why would he change at this time? Let's hope that the powers at Fev can get him signed up again for next year.

Edited by roversspud
  • Like 1

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

4 minutes ago, binosh said:

Junior Moors was one of the best forwards in the Championship this season regardless of his age. I suspect that the other 2 or 3 players who are the wrong side of 35 won't be with us next season. In other words, you judge players on performance, not age. I take it Leigh won't be releasing Blake Ferguson just because he will be 33 next season?

But as you are insisting it's "worrying", let's have a prediction of how Fev will do next season. Battling relegation? Mid-table? I'm frankly more concerned about the new IMG recommendations than I am about the make-up of our squad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Junior Moors was one of the best forwards in the Championship this season regardless of his age. I suspect that the other 2 or 3 players who are the wrong side of 35 won't be with us next season. In other words, you judge players on performance, not age. I take it Leigh won't be releasing Blake Ferguson just because he will be 33 next season?

But as you are insisting it's "worrying", let's have a prediction of how Fev will do next season. Battling relegation? Mid-table? I'm frankly more concerned about the new IMG recommendations than I am about the make-up of our squad.

My prediction is you’ll be second again, your defence will still be lacklustre, you’re middles will be older, slower unable to recover quickly enough to mount a promotion challenge. 

Blake Ferguson plays on the wing, takes minimal contact and makes minimal tackles so his body won’t be anywhere near as bad as a forwards.

You guys sound like your happy with how this years players have done so fair enough.