Batley Bulldogs don’t meet Super League criteria

Jughead

25 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

Londons ground barely held 3000.

Batley do not have the infrastructure, but deserve all the accolades. 

They won't beat Leigh because Leigh are just too fasy, too fit and too big and their coach knows this, but they will have a dig. 

If the fairytale does happen, I am really intreagued how Batley will be refused SL criteria unless they refuse themselves. 

Therefore, do Leigh go up? 

It’s been said that currently they fail to meet the criteria, the lux of their floodlights is one issue. It’s been said Batley are aware and confident that, if they win, all will be resolved and they’ll take their place in Super League. 

Just now, ShropshireBull said:

Wasnt a question about Batley per se but in general,is spending central funding on people if they said we wouldn’t take promotion sensible when you could spend it somewhere else?

That depends on if you think they only purpose of central funding is to get clubs promoted to SL, I don't. Sure it helps some clubs do that but I think the real benefit from central funding is in expanding the games footprint, reach and keeping it relevant in those areas, or indeed in making it relevant in developing areas. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

But surely the aim is for ROI and make relevant by backing projects of clubs who want to grow. I think Batley would take promotion for what its worth. 

Its not all about Super League and I dont see ROI being a club having to aim for SL or being capable of getting in SL. I think that where you and I fundamentally disagree. More RL fans, players and RL having a presence in towns like Batley is ROI for me.

It's more than possible to grow and not be Super League club. Clubs like Batley, Barrow, York, Newcastle have done that. I don't believe that everyone has to be a Super League club to be successful and to be an asset to RL.

At the end of the day I think funding the Championship and League 1 and having a greater footprint of clubs provides plenty of ROI for a fairly small investment. I'm not sure the exact figures with the latest TV deal but I doubt the Championship combined gets much different than 1 SL club these days and I have heard L1 clubs get 15k so we aren't talking big sums here.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Sorry David come Sunday it won't be you eating the pies it will be ........... "Another one bites the crust'"

Very witty Harry!  The Dogs might bite the crust on Sunday but it will be your turn when you get into SL. If you run true to form you  will be back down in  in 23.

1 hour ago, Fevrover said:

No,if Batley happened to win and be rejected i meant they would keep Toulouse up.  Leigh or Batley deserve to go up.

To be fair, the precedent has been set. Huddersfield got a reprieve in 2000 (and 1999 if memory serves), and Leigh got a reprieve in 2009 when Gateshead went bust. I wouldn't have an issue with Toulouse staying up if Batley win on Sunday and turn down / are refused a place in SL. I thought London should've been offered Toronto's place in SL last season for the same reason.

If Batley do win, I think the ground will be the least of their problems. How can a club transition from part time to full time, in the current climate, when they only know that they need to do it a week after the SL Grand Final, and weeks after the majority of SL clubs have done their recruitment. All on top of an economic climate that could put current players off packing in jobs to go full time themselves.

If they do win on Sunday, then they will face a bigger challenge than Leigh did in 2005.

• Like 1

I’ve always liked Mount Pleasant, it’s a great ground. Capacity is 7500 according to google. I’ve seen someone claim there’s 3000 seats. Not sure about that, the more modern side stand has in the region of 1250-1300 seats and the smaller main stand probably 400? Still plenty though and more than some SL clubs (Castleford for example only have 1500 seats). 

I still think Leigh will win on Sunday but it’s nice for Batley to be in the limelight and it’s fantastic what they’ve done not just on the pitch (when a certain TRL forum - me - tipped them to finish mid table) but also off it with little funding. 

Edited by AB Knight
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, frank said:

Very witty Harry!  The Dogs might bite the crust on Sunday but it will be your turn when you get into SL. If you run true to form you  will be back down in  in 23.

Is that more in hope than expectation Frank?

Bit unfair if you are using last season as one of your "true to form" scenarios, only getting the nod on the 14th December, reduced funding and collating a team to play in the Championship, but last season could well be the catalyst that altered the thinking of the owner, Leigh are much better prepared with the player's already signed who have already been disclosed and those who are yet to be announced, it may work or we may be dissapointed, but I am looking forward to getting on board for the ride, it is never dull being a Leigh fan.

99.9% sure it’s 1500, the club on numerous occasions have said 1500. And they would never lie 😇 Seriously though the stand does go quite far back, about 20 rows. Looking at google images I count 13 rows in Leigh’s old main stand.