Headingley

Phil W

25 minutes ago, Damien said:

This has been pointed out a million times before so it's not ignorance is bliss. People know what the situation is but I do think Leeds fans hide behind it somewhat.

I have seen various designs and plans over the years for the Western Terrace. The club have certainly looked at it. I am fairly certain it could be redeveloped to be much better than it is now, other sports clubs have overcome planning issues far less insurmountable than this. However it would undoubtedly cost and with 3 sides redeveloped, and with more seats than they can fill already, the ROI certainly wouldn't be there. It makes no business sense and that is why it will never be done.

I personally think there is nothing greatly wrong with the Western Terrace. In summer when it's dry its a decent place to stand. Headingley is rarely full and there are alternative stands to stand or sit in anyway.

This is all true, however until this stand is redeveloped it cannot claim to be the best ground in Rugby.

Everything you say is correct , but when the Leeds fans claim to have the best ground it is infact incorrect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yipyee said:

Yes its right that Leeds are proud of their developed stadium.

Just a couple of things,

Its more expensive as its a development, this always costs more than a total re-build. Some of the 40 mill was to build the cricket facing stand as well.

Only 3/4 of the stadium has been re-built so whilst its great for the people in 3/4 of the ground its still the pits for the people in the west stand.

And just on the whole criticism thing, Leeds fans criticise clubs that have done a total re-build as flat pack, no atmosphere etc..

This does come across as jealousy.

I personally think Leeds is a great upgrade on their old facilities but until it modernises the full stadium it can't be up there with the best rugby stadiums in the country.

You seriously think Leeds fans are jealous of those clubs with new grounds?

Honestly, that’s absolute rubbish.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I don't think making claims to be the best ground in Rugby actually means anything does it? There is no trophy for that.

It's a fan debate. The investment sees them get events just like Saints and Wire's does.

The best ground tends to be the one you have most fun at.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, Fevrover said:

We get that at Featherstone from SOME not many c@$ and Wakefield fan's!!!

Featherstone have a great stadium it puts the other two neighbours to shame 

• Thanks 1

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

5 hours ago, yipyee said:

Yes its right that Leeds are proud of their developed stadium.

Just a couple of things,

Its more expensive as its a development, this always costs more than a total re-build. Some of the 40 mill was to build the cricket facing stand as well.

Only 3/4 of the stadium has been re-built so whilst its great for the people in 3/4 of the ground its still the pits for the people in the west stand.

And just on the whole criticism thing, Leeds fans criticise clubs that have done a total re-build as flat pack, no atmosphere etc..

This does come across as jealousy.

I personally think Leeds is a great upgrade on their old facilities but until it modernises the full stadium it can't be up there with the best rugby stadiums in the country.

Well I dont know what the outcry would have been if the roof had blown off at Headingley like it did at the newly built St Helens stadium ? They dodged a bullet there cheaply built Screw fix stadium 

FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

2 hours ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Featherstone have a great stadium it puts the other two neighbours to shame 

Yeah and simply because they've spent it on players and got away with not upgrading their grounds  by getting their plans out every 18 months. Wakefield are now doing theirs up but theres still no sign of cas doing theirs. 

6 hours ago, yipyee said:

Build a smaller stand then?!

After committing themselves to all that expense on a 40 year mortgage their finances had reached their limit to do anything else .it does get annoying that a club has done all this and get criticized by fans of other clubs who have done nothing . It's not one of those community grounds either . The western terrace is not a warzone either .  

JAMIE PEACOCK

16 hours ago, Loiner said:

I watched the Leigh v York game and the Leigh sports village looked really impressive. Imagine what it would look like if there was somebody in it apart from empty seats.

So you've never visited the LSV ? 

Maybe next time we're in the same division as yourselves you can come down for a look , unless of course you're one of those people who goes everywhere by train , that's the usual excuse for a ###### poor away following we hear , much like your visit in 2017 

I don't mind the WT , the terracing under the east stand is much worse , terrible viewing angle 

3 hours ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

After committing themselves to all that expense on a 40 year mortgage their finances had reached their limit to do anything else .it does get annoying that a club has done all this and get criticized by fans of other clubs who have done nothing . It's not one of those community grounds either . The western terrace is not a warzone either .  

My club have a new state of the art stadium, but still gets negative comments screwfix stadium etc..

I can accept that criticism though but am also glad the stadium was built without debt, is fully owned by the club and was built within the clubs means.

It also won away fans best stadium award. (Leeds have no chance at that award)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

So you've never visited the LSV ? 

Maybe next time we're in the same division as yourselves you can come down for a look , unless of course you're one of those people who goes everywhere by train , that's the usual excuse for a ###### poor away following we hear , much like your visit in 2017 

I don't mind the WT , the terracing under the east stand is much worse , terrible viewing angle 

I have been once by bus and was very impressed as I said. I hope your stay in super league last a long while this time, Derek deserves better.(assuming you beat Batley)

18 hours ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

There is also the amenities in the bustling suburb of Headingley restaurants, Bars ,hotels etc lots of regular public transport into Town 

That isn't the ground though, its like saying there's a big dog terd but its in a lovely park with Rose Gardens, child's play area mature maze, why don't you like dog terd??

On 28/09/2022 at 09:15, Dave T said:

I don't think making claims to be the best ground in Rugby actually means anything does it? There is no trophy for that.

It's a fan debate. The investment sees them get events just like Saints and Wire's does.

The Ralph Rimmer Trophy for the best ground in RL*

*as voted for by members of this forum

2 hours ago, yipyee said:

Yes it is, I am sure you have access to Google

A quick Google seems to suggest this particular award is handed out by Serious About RL. Which presumably means the winner certificate was made with crayons. 

Next up, we have the award for "best stadium cooling system", presented by The Game Caller. 

Edited by whatmichaelsays
  • Haha 3