Licensing returning to super league

Rarefrith

It's happening, so the clubs got to make the best of it. Promotion next year and improvements to the ground and infrastructure. Let's make it hard for them to keep us out. At first I was dubious and I am still not a fan of licensing, but I'll be renewing my season ticket this week. Up the Rovers.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Doesn't sound like IMG will fall for attractive artists impressions like The RFL did last time.  Cas could be in bother.  Wakey should be OK. 

By the skin of our teeth, had we not got that 8 million from Yorkcourt and decided to spend every spare penny we had on extra ground improvements we'd have been stiffed. Those being new floodlights, a permanent big screen and the hybrid pitch.

I reckon you could possibly squeeze the pitch and the floodlights out of the WMDC grant as they both add to community use.

From memory our floodlights were 175 k and they use energy efficient bulbs. The pitch was about 500k but BV was already level so it might be a bit more for you.

You could easily add some flats like we have, but they won't need to be as big or as ugly as they have improved a lot in recent years. A bar and restaurant on one level and say six nice boxes on the second level would cost about 500k but you'd easily cover the cost if you filled it.

With all that in place you are easily Cat B 

Cas are in serious bother especially if the developer stalls - took us three years from the developer agreeing figure to us getting our money, and their developer hasn't agreed as yet.

8 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

By the skin of our teeth, had we not got that 8 million from Yorkcourt and decided to spend every spare penny we had on extra ground improvements we'd have been stiffed. Those being new floodlights, a permanent big screen and the hybrid pitch.

I reckon you could possibly squeeze the pitch and the floodlights out of the WMDC grant as they both add to community use.

From memory our floodlights were 175 k and they use energy efficient bulbs. The pitch was about 500k but BV was already level so it might be a bit more for you.

You could easily add some flats like we have, but they won't need to be as big or as ugly as they have improved a lot in recent years. A bar and restaurant on one level and say six nice boxes on the second level would cost about 500k but you'd easily cover the cost if you filled it.

Cas are in serious bother especially if the developer stalls - took us three years from the developer agreeing figure to us getting our money, and their developer hasn't agreed as yet.

The Developer hasn't submitted planning yet and even when they do it will be a 'generic' application as they have no tenants lined up. Given the way the economy is going it will likely prove as difficult as their previous search for retailers.....

2 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

The Developer hasn't submitted planning yet and even when they do it will be a 'generic' application as they have no tenants lined up. Given the way the economy is going it will likely prove as difficult as their previous search for retailers.....

And get away with it -again.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

David , how do they know now that the will be some grade B clubs in SL ? , Because they've already graded everybody 

On field to be a ' heavy factor ' ? , Still subjective 

They said it would be transparent last time 

Have I understood this correctly?

A team being in SL at the end of 2024 is not guaranteed to be in the top flight in 2025.It will all depend on the grading allocated.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, POR said:

Apparently France, London identified as  areas of focus for growth. So are all three teams  getting Cat A

No.

• Haha 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Yep and I'm not gloating, it's a disaster for Cas off the field. In the short term I an't see what they can do. No bank will touch them with an interim loan and the WMDC money won't go far. 

2 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Don't think we need the pitch as urgently as we need to replace the terracing at the POR end.  Apart from very early in the season, it's always immaculate.  There's no rule that says it need to be level and it's been full size for quite a while now.

The terracing is not in a good state and needs modern crush barriers really. Don't think we'll ever get away with a roof on that end, so it's just some digging up old concrete and pouring some new.  

I'd have thought we could comfortably get that, the floodlights and the boxes you suggest for £2m

1 hour ago, David Shepherd said:

Don't think we need the pitch as urgently as we need to replace the terracing at the POR end.  Apart from very early in the season, it's always immaculate.  There's no rule that says it need to be level and it's been full size for quite a while now.

The terracing is not in a good state and needs modern crush barriers really. Don't think we'll ever get away with a roof on that end, so it's just some digging up old concrete and pouring some new.  

I'd have thought we could comfortably get that, the floodlights and the boxes you suggest for £2m

From what I hear they will bounce you on the pitch. It's not in the details so far but I'm told that the pitches will also have a requirement to be level (within reason). No pun intended but the idea is to create a level playing field in which all clubs offer the same basic standards. So no not yet, but remember this is just the beginning.

I wouldn't bother with the terracing unless it's unsafe? That said if you levelled the pitch I'm guessing you'd have to raise it anyway, so you might as well do both or it's a bit self defeating.

It's not my decision or my club so I can only suggest stuff, but forget about further capacity or spectator stuff, you're ok on that IMO. Get the infrastructure sorted, lights that are TV quality, a pitch that's flat like everyone else's and get the corporates in and fleece them so to speak. Don't give them any excuses to exclude you.

Edited by Kirmonds pouch
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

As i have said before Dewsbury have made a really good job of their terracing behind the sticks.Ours is not in a good state and not up to modern standards.Your right about the roof no chance of planning as it would block out light from the houses.

The right to light wont be an issue i once had a conservatory built and next door complain to the councal about it saying it would block the light nothing came of it like i said you have'nt got a right to light

9 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

From what I hear they will bounce you on the pitch. It's not in the details so far but I'm told that the pitches will also have a requirement to be level (within reason). No pun intended but the idea is to create a level playing field in which all clubs offer the same basic standards. So no not yet, but remember this is just the beginning.

I wouldn't bother with the terracing unless it's unsafe? That said if you levelled the pitch I'm guessing you'd have to raise it anyway, so you might as well do both or it's a bit self defeating.

It's not my decision or my club so I can only suggest stuff, but forget about further capacity or spectator stuff, you're ok on that IMO. Get the infrastructure sorted, lights that are TV quality, a pitch that's flat like everyone else's and get the corporates in and fleece them so to speak. Don't give them any excuses to exclude you.

Not sure that there's much of a slope these days. When we built the new stand it was lengthened. Doesn't seem that noticeable to me these days.

11 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

I wouldn't bother with the terracing unless it's unsafe? Capacity is not an issue and I don't believe there is a minimum capacity or if there is you are easily within it. It's not my decision or my club so I can only suggest stuff, but forget about further capacity or spectator stuff, you're ok on that IMO. Get the infrastructure sorted, lights that are TV quality, a pitch that's flat like everyone else's and get the corporates in and fleece them so to speak. Don't give them any excuses to exclude you.

I'd argue that our terracing is fairly un-safe.  It's uneven, the steps are designed for children's feet and there are no crush barriers.  It also looks bloody awful on TV.

I take the point about the level pitch.  However, levelling the pitch would also mean the terracing needs replacing.  The bottom steps would be about 3 feet below pitch level.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

20 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

From what I hear they will bounce you on the pitch. It's not in the details so far but I'm told that the pitches will also have a requirement to be level (within reason). .

So the Dogs are foooked then

1 hour ago, sentoffagain2 said:

As i have said before Dewsbury have made a really good job of their terracing behind the sticks.Ours is not in a good state and not up to modern standards.Your right about the roof no chance of planning as it would block out light from the houses.

Make it out of perspex S so its see through job done☀️

2 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

If the pitch is now a problem having not been one for over 100 years, then surely the RFL should be paying for the 'level playing surface' 

As an old supporter I remember helping to put the terracing mentioned down. We took out all the old wooden ones and replaced them with the concrete ones. Now not up to standard? How time flies. Helped renovate the stands as well. At 88 wont be able to help manually this time but will help with any extra office work if needed. UTR

There's talk of intrducing a nines comp to replace magic if they do I would think they will do the same for the championship Furthermore proposed the sixth round of the Challenge Cup being two-legged, with an aggregate score determining who advances to the quarter-finals. The two-legged proposal has been designed for several reasons;  but one is, to reward non-Super League clubs who advance to the last 16 with the opportunity to host a Super League side 

26 minutes ago, POR said:

There's talk of intrducing a nines comp to replace magic if they do I would think they will do the same for the championship Furthermore proposed the sixth round of the Challenge Cup being two-legged, with an aggregate score determining who advances to the quarter-finals. The two-legged proposal has been designed for several reasons;  but one is, to reward non-Super League clubs who advance to the last 16 with the opportunity to host a Super League side 

Both no's for me.9's bears no resemblance to a proper 80 min game but it is fine for under 14's.

19 hours ago, POR said:

So the Dogs are foooked then

Make it out of perspex S so its see through job done☀️

Batley have bigger problems than the pitch TBH. It's the odd nature of a licensing system that it doesn't necessarily reflect on field performance. There are a number of clubs in the Championship who are bang average to say the least but who's grounds would would actually be Cat A. Halifax is the obvious one, The Shay is almost there even if the club is miles off.

P&R is simple, licensing is not, it has to be fair, open and done to the letter - IMG might be up to that but I doubt the RFL will ever be.

Batley have it right on the pitch, the Stadium is better than some but clearly needs some work, the clubs infrastructure is nowhere near capable of going full time and that's really where they fail.

You and Leigh are the only two Championship clubs that are close enough in all of the above to be truly considered for a SL place regardless of who wins the comp, if you follow the IMG recommendations.

Edited by Kirmonds pouch

21 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Batley have bigger problems than the pitch TBH. It's the odd nature of a licensing system that it doesn't necessarily reflect on field performance. There are a number of clubs in the Championship who are bang average to say the least but who's grounds would would actually be Cat A. Halifax is the obvious one, The Shay is almost there even if the club is miles off.

P&R is simple, licensing is not, it has to be fair, open and done to the letter - IMG might be up to that but I doubt the RFL will ever be.

Batley have it right on the pitch, the Stadium is better than some but clearly needs some work, the clubs infrastructure is nowhere near capable of going full time and that's really where they fail.

You and Leigh are the only two Championship clubs that are close enough in all of the above to be truly considered for a SL place regardless of who wins the comp, if you follow the IMG recommendations.

Not sure the Shay would meet all the criteria of the Facility Standards for SL clubs which should be the threshold for Cat A classification. 

It doesn't matter what you do. Licensing and mergers aren't wanted in the heartlands. IMG long term plan will be franchising clubs in the big cities of Britain. The heartlands will be feeder clubs. Only Saints, Wiggin, Leeds, Hull, London, Newcastle are safe. IMG are here to make a lot of money. They will be targeting a new, young audience throughout Britain over the 12 year contract. The top tier will look a lot different to today's league. They have an Aussie running this project who will be implement an Aussie model of RL.

55 minutes ago, Wysiwyg2 said:

It doesn't matter what you do. Licensing and mergers aren't wanted in the heartlands. IMG long term plan will be franchising clubs in the big cities of Britain. The heartlands will be feeder clubs. Only Saints, Wiggin, Leeds, Hull, London, Newcastle are safe. IMG are here to make a lot of money. They will be targeting a new, young audience throughout Britain over the 12 year contract. The top tier will look a lot different to today's league. They have an Aussie running this project who will be implement an Aussie model of RL.

Good luck with that without huge (and I mean huge - see London) investment. The big error made every time there's expansion is that because we think RL is TGG everyone else does/will.