New proposals!

The Art of Hand and Foot

Well there we have it. The likes of Wigan , saints etc are secure no matter where they come in the league. The most we can hope for is category B . BUT only if we are playing out of BP. In fact we would be in a better position than some SL clubs. If we can secure BP, whitebank is a none starter,  the next step is to do a Keighley. All out promotion. So let's see what the board comes up with.

1 hour ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Well there we have it. The likes of Wigan , saints etc are secure no matter where they come in the league. The most we can hope for is category B . BUT only if we are playing out of BP. In fact we would be in a better position than some SL clubs. If we can secure BP, whitebank is a none starter,  the next step is to do a Keighley. All out promotion. So let's see what the board comes up with.

Agreed. Has to be BP now. Absolutely no other option. 

1 hour ago, shrewsbury roughyed said:

What will the new organisation look like/require? Can anyone summarise it?

From glemiln on the hornets forum.

"summary the recommendations are:

“A re-positioned calendar which optimises flow, narrative and engagement, incorporating regular ‘peaks’ of interest and a compelling season climax.

A calendar aligned with the global game to facilitate an international window in October and incorporate a mid-season international.

Participation in the top tier to be based on a range of on and off field measures, delivered through a club grading system with the aim of supporting financial sustainability and encouraging investment into clubs.  ‘Category A’ clubs will be guaranteed participation in the top tier whilst ‘Category B’ clubs will be re-assessed annually with the highest-ranking clubs occupying the remaining slots in the top tier.

Promotion and relegation will continue on the field of play between the second and third tiers with tier two increasingly filled with strong Category B Clubs.

An expansion strategy to be developed that targets and supports the growth of the Women’s and Girls’ game, and also growth in new markets.

Participation of clubs outside of the UK to be capped and with additional standards to support domestic growth.

Operations to be centralised where this can maximise efficiencies and drive incremental revenue (e.g. ticketing and digital infrastructure).

A new brand strategy to be introduced and aligned with the above commercial strategy.”

More details:

https://twitter.com/intent/follow?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1575114488080400384|twgr^4c51f614b4046ad848f12e7d1c6eebf4dd447bd9|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.totalrl.com%2Fforums%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcoremodule%3Dsystemcontroller%3Dembedurl%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fjdgsport%2Fstatus%2F1575114488080400384&screen_name=jdgsport "

Edited 2 hours ago by glemiln

55 minutes ago, saints10coach said:

Without promotion and relegation, is the sport worth watching for supporters outside of Super League?

Promotion and relegation between 2nd and third tiers. TBH I'd be happy if we reached the level of Featherstone. It's possible to become a cat A club and hence superleague. But we've been there, it was rubbish. Let's get the crowds back first. Remember the likes of Featherstone, Widnes and Leigh are like Royton or Chadderton in size. Oldham, with a population of nearly 200k should be able to get 5k crowds. Even in tier 2. In fact one of our most successful periods 89-91 was from tier two. And never forget we are and always will be the first home of Rugby League.

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Like 3

Just now, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Don't forget not all teams in SL will be cat A. That's reserved for the likes of Wigan, saints and Leeds and Catalans and maybe one the hulls. The rest will be cat B. 

I just don't like the top table clubs being like a members club. I didn't like it last time.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

I just don't like the top table clubs being like a members club. I didn't like it last time.

Playing from BP, own training ground, ladies team, second to none amateur set up, history as the first home of RL etc. If we can get the people of Oldham, pop c200k, reinvigorated then it's possible to be cat A. That's why we need you to turn up. Come on Oldham come on Oldham!

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

From glemiln on the hornets forum.

"summary the recommendations are:

“A re-positioned calendar which optimises flow, narrative and engagement, incorporating regular ‘peaks’ of interest and a compelling season climax.

A calendar aligned with the global game to facilitate an international window in October and incorporate a mid-season international.

Participation in the top tier to be based on a range of on and off field measures, delivered through a club grading system with the aim of supporting financial sustainability and encouraging investment into clubs.  ‘Category A’ clubs will be guaranteed participation in the top tier whilst ‘Category B’ clubs will be re-assessed annually with the highest-ranking clubs occupying the remaining slots in the top tier.

Promotion and relegation will continue on the field of play between the second and third tiers with tier two increasingly filled with strong Category B Clubs.

An expansion strategy to be developed that targets and supports the growth of the Women’s and Girls’ game, and also growth in new markets.

Participation of clubs outside of the UK to be capped and with additional standards to support domestic growth.

Operations to be centralised where this can maximise efficiencies and drive incremental revenue (e.g. ticketing and digital infrastructure).

A new brand strategy to be introduced and aligned with the above commercial strategy.”

More details:

https://twitter.com/intent/follow?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1575114488080400384|twgr^4c51f614b4046ad848f12e7d1c6eebf4dd447bd9|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.totalrl.com%2Fforums%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcoremodule%3Dsystemcontroller%3Dembedurl%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fjdgsport%2Fstatus%2F1575114488080400384&screen_name=jdgsport "

Edited 2 hours ago by glemiln

Havent we been there before……with franchising and protection from relegation for the ‘big’ clubs. How much have IMG spent/taken to get this plan out of the filing cabinet?

All thats missing is reintroducing ‘club call’ where St Helens decide who they want to meet in the play offs. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Havent we been there before……with franchising and protection from relegation for the ‘big’ clubs. How much have IMG spent/taken to get this plan out of the filing cabinet?

All thats missing is reintroducing ‘club call’ where St Helens decide who they want to meet in the play offs. 

So called franchising before was a joke. How many current SL teams had plans for amazing new grounds, still to be playing in the same old ones. Next thing they’ll be resurrecting the disastrous ‘merging’. RL will only grow when more people play it; more people watch it; and the experience and purpose are there- ie decent grounds, the possibility of growth and catching up the big teams. Therefore I think promotion/relegation is a must, and also terrestrial television coverage. Re Oldham specifically- I agree that we need to build and grow organically,which the club are making small but hopefully significant steps towards. But to restrict the long term (even theoretical) ambitions to the best of the rest would be a shame . Thanks for the clarification folks- much obliged.

• Like 1

Regards promotion and relegation, look at the last time it was a closed shop. Huddersfield were repeatedly bottom of the pile and showed no sign of improvement. It was only when relegation was reintroduced and they went down and developed from there.

To me there is an element of what is the point for teams outside the top tier.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

To be frank I'm not too bothered about the top tier. I believe that if we can get to the level of Featherstone then we'll be attracting at least 3,000 crowds. Remember we nearly got to Wembley, which is my dream, from tier two.

Agree completely. Perhaps the B's & C's should just break away and see how long the 6 A's manage without us!!!!

• Like 1

One of the comments was about getting more people playing. Schools no longer play rugby, and the amateur game is struggling with summer rugby. It finds it hard to compete with everything else that goes on in summer. So why not let the amateur game revert to winter - let's be honest our winters are just cold summers.

With regards to the "new" idea, it didn't work before, and I can't see it working now. It's like the recent budget "money for the big boys and stuff the rest."

• Like 1

Keighley cougars chairman has issued this statement: "

KEIGHLEY Cougars Chief Executive and co-owner Ryan O’Neill has issued the following statement in regard to yesterday’s Reimagining Rugby League announcement.

The following statement was first issued this morning in The Independent newspaper with Ryan now issuing in full to you, the supporters of Keighley Cougars.

I value the contribution IMG can bring to sport, they bring weight, talent, and value.

However, on what I’ve seen, I have reservations they fully understand Rugby League.

This sport is rooted in the north and in the communities, this is the Rugby League USP. These are the foundations to build on, be proud of, and embraced to organically expand.

Expand yes but expand with demand.

There is a huge opportunity to engage with people, to entertain people, to create a sport that is dynamic.

This doesn’t mean clubs that are exempt to the jeopardy of relegation, it means offering a competitive sport where losers can become winners, and winners can become losers.

Rugby League has failed over the last two decades because it has tried to manufacture a celebrity and glamour that is not authentic.

Expansion, favouritism, flexible rules for one, but not the other. This has to stop.

The IMG initial proposals to me seem to just be a continuance of the same mistakes. Preserving the clubs with the bigger names for vanity is not the answer.

Rugby League, and sport in general, should have a simple premise. You lose, you drop. You win, you rise.

Two up and two down in every league in every season.

No ifs and no buts. That’s sport."

• Like 9

The Grand Final this last weekend, had huge swathes of Old Trafford with empty seats. This was between (arguably) the two biggest clubs in the game, in what was a perfect, Lancashire/Yorkshire shoot out. 15 yrs ago and 10 yrs ago, you couldn't get tickets for this game. The people that run the game have lost the plot with constant rule changes, structural changes and expansionist ###### that have robbed the heartlands of opportunity. Only when the last foot has the last bullet squarely through the foot may they realise the damage they have inflicted on the greatest sport in the world. Rugby Yawnion has beaten us by having smarter people running the game (and they aren't without their problems, I acknowledge)

• Like 9

On 30/09/2022 at 06:33, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Keighley cougars chairman has issued this statement: "

KEIGHLEY Cougars Chief Executive and co-owner Ryan O’Neill has issued the following statement in regard to yesterday’s Reimagining Rugby League announcement.

The following statement was first issued this morning in The Independent newspaper with Ryan now issuing in full to you, the supporters of Keighley Cougars.

I value the contribution IMG can bring to sport, they bring weight, talent, and value.

However, on what I’ve seen, I have reservations they fully understand Rugby League.

This sport is rooted in the north and in the communities, this is the Rugby League USP. These are the foundations to build on, be proud of, and embraced to organically expand.

Expand yes but expand with demand.

There is a huge opportunity to engage with people, to entertain people, to create a sport that is dynamic.

This doesn’t mean clubs that are exempt to the jeopardy of relegation, it means offering a competitive sport where losers can become winners, and winners can become losers.

Rugby League has failed over the last two decades because it has tried to manufacture a celebrity and glamour that is not authentic.

Expansion, favouritism, flexible rules for one, but not the other. This has to stop.

The IMG initial proposals to me seem to just be a continuance of the same mistakes. Preserving the clubs with the bigger names for vanity is not the answer.

Rugby League, and sport in general, should have a simple premise. You lose, you drop. You win, you rise.

Two up and two down in every league in every season.

No ifs and no buts. That’s sport."

With an owner like that its no wonder the club is booming…good luck to them next year (and beyond).  I would rather have a club named after a small yorkshire town that nobody darn sarth has heard of than clubs named ‘wasps’ and ‘saracens’ and ‘harlequins’.

What does IMG stand for….inequality means good?

• Like 3

On 29/09/2022 at 22:29, Rochdale Roughyed said:

Rugby Yawnion has beaten us by having smarter people running the game (and they aren't without their problems, I acknowledge)

Union has beaten us by having a shed load of money from the international game (which comes secondary to club games in RL) and having lots of millionaires with more money than sense.  

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Union has beaten us by having a shed load of money from the international game (which comes secondary to club games in RL) and having lots of millionaires with more money than sense.  

What gets me is that we have a better product. Why has the international game not been given the attention it needs? And why can't Rugby league attract these millionaires? 

31 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

Why has the international game not been given the attention it needs?

Because the clubs controlled the game.  They don't want players released or games midseason.  

34 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

And why can't Rugby league attract these millionaires? 

Because we are a small town game restricted to the M62, without the big old boys network.

• Like 2

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!