Will Cleary be in the Aussie squad?

2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I think we can safely finish this thread

He'll be there, for sure now. Had Panthers lost he may have been overlooked.

That said I reckon he'll spend most of the WC sitting in the stands. If the Roos start with DCE and keep winning they'll stick with the Manly half, excepting the inevitable squad rotation group game!

can't see why he can't form a devastating partnership with Munster -  his no6 partner at the panthers is extremely random just like Munster is - dce has had his day but will big mal have his maroon hat on?

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

33 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

That said I reckon he'll spend most of the WC sitting in the stands. If the Roos start with DCE and keep winning they'll stick with the Manly half, excepting the inevitable squad rotation group game!

He was never missing the squad. He has been the best player on the best team for 3 years. He will also start for Australia and link up well with Munster. 

33 minutes ago, anjado said:

He was never missing the squad. He has been the best player on the best team for 3 years. He will also start for Australia and link up well with Munster. 

I don't agree. As with QLD the dummy half pairing will be Hunt and Grant. Munster will be the six. Australia's opening game is against Fiji, and despite previous meetings it's no gimme. Five of their likely squad played in the GF, whilst only three for the Roos, Cleary, Martin and Yeo.

I reckon Meninga will stick with a tried and tested trio of Munster, DCE and Grant, with Teddy at #1. 

IMO Cleary is on the 'outside' of the influential group in the Aussie squad. At club level, for all his undoubted skills, he's coached by his old man and has had a team built around him. And then he's not totally clicked at Origin level, losing two of the past three series.

Can he adapt to a scenario where he's not top dog?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

can't see why he can't form a devastating partnership with Munster -  his no6 partner at the panthers is extremely random just like Munster is - dce has had his day but will big mal have his maroon hat on?

I’d agree . If I was an opponent of the kangaroos I’d be very happy if Cleary isn’t the half and DCE is

• Like 1

On 28/09/2022 at 20:15, ChristianB said:

In the final year of my dad's life, housebound but as sharp as ever, he took to watching almost every NRL match.

He was 88 and had seen countless legendary players come and go. But, in his opinion, Nathan Cleary was one of the two best halfbacks he had ever seen play the game.

I only regret forgetting to ask him who the other player was.

I thought you were going to say he couldn't remember who the other one was. 

4 hours ago, Number 16 said:

I don't agree. As with QLD the dummy half pairing will be Hunt and Grant. Munster will be the six. Australia's opening game is against Fiji, and despite previous meetings it's no gimme. Five of their likely squad played in the GF, whilst only three for the Roos, Cleary, Martin and Yeo.

I reckon Meninga will stick with a tried and tested trio of Munster, DCE and Grant, with Teddy at #1. 

IMO Cleary is on the 'outside' of the influential group in the Aussie squad. At club level, for all his undoubted skills, he's coached by his old man and has had a team built around him. And then he's not totally clicked at Origin level, losing two of the past three series.

It's not a tried and tested combo though, only last year the Munster/DCE/Grant/Hunt combo was embarrassed by Cleary getting 50 put on them at home and then being held to nil at Suncorp in the deciding match, only when Cleary missed the final game where they able to scrape past a second-string NSW side.

Furthermore that Munster/DCE combo got outplayed by Kotoni Staggs/Tui Lolohea in the last Kangaroos match. In fact, when starting in the halves for the Kangaroos against the top nations (Samoa, NZ, England, Tonga) DCE has a 50% win rate or 4 wins from 8 matches - he has also only beaten NZ 1/4 times throughout that stretch.

If anyone other than Nathan Cleary starts in our halfback jersey Mal should be looking for a new job.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Number 16 said:

DCE will not be starting. This whole thread has been delusional.

8 hours ago, The_Gun said:

Isn’t that what’s being asked in this thread?

And nobody seems to think he misses out.

I agree with the poster who said that Cleary isn't part of the inside group at the Kangaroos, yet. 

7 hours ago, Number 16 said:

How is it tried and tested if that combination hasn't played for 4 years and their last match they played against Tonga they lost. 

• Like 1

Australia squad: Josh Addo-Carr, Matt Burton (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs), Reagan Campbell-Gillard (Parramatta Eels), Patrick Carrigan (Brisbane Broncos), Daly Cherry-Evans, Jake Trbojevic (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles), Nathan Cleary, Liam Martin, Isaah Yeo (Penrith Panthers), Lindsay Collins, Angus Crichton, James Tedesco (c) (Sydney Roosters), Reuben Cotter, Valentine Holmes, Jeremiah Nanai, Murray Taulagi (North Queensland Cowboys), Tino Fa'asuamaleaui (Gold Coast Titans), Campbell Graham, Latrell Mitchell, Cameron Murray (South Sydney Rabbitohs), Harry Grant, Cameron Munster (Melbourne Storm), Ben Hunt (St George Illawarra Dragons), Jack Wighton (Canberra Raiders). Standby players: Dylan Edwards (Penrith Panthers), Nicho Hynes (Cronulla Sharks), Damien Cook (South Sydney Rabbitohs)

New Zealand squad: Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Jesse Bromwich, Kenneath Bromwich, Jahrome Hughes, Brandon Smith (Melbourne Storm), Dylan Brown, Marata Niukore, Isaiah Papali'i (Parramatta Eels) James Fisher-Harris, Moses Leota, Scott Sorensen (Penrith Panthers), Kieran Foran (Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles), Peta Hiku (North Queensland Cowboys), Sebastian Kris, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Jordan Rapana, Joseph Tapine (Canberra Raiders), Isaac Liu (Gold Coast Titans), Joseph Manu, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (Sydney Roosters), Jeremy Marshall-King (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs), Ronaldo Mulitalo, Briton Nikora (Cronulla Sharks), Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (Warriors)

• Like 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

I googled this and i can now answer you … Yes he is . And so am I !

Cool.  And just one more to clarify, where do bears do their numbers two's?

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Cool.  And just one more to clarify, where do bears do their numbers two's?

well from what I could tell when I nipped to the loo in Morrisons on sat afternoon - it seems to be there 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile