Andrew Voss

33 minutes ago, Welshleaguelover said:

Eddie Butler had a great voice for it but I never enjoyed his over-romantic style of commentatory... It did work well with Brian Moore though, who would call a spade a spade.

Agreed - Eng v Wales with those two on comms was a perfect balance of poetic interpretation  and brutal honesty

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Agreed - Eng v Wales with those two on comms was a perfect balance of poetic interoperation and brutal honesty

My Dad, brother and mates hated Brian Moore for not giving Wales credit... Even when they didn't deserve any. They had decided he was a biased Englishman before kick off.

I've always liked Brian Moore to be fair. He talks sense in Union and is always complementary towards our game. That's good enough for me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

'Dark side' commentators are leagues above RL in this country. Eddie Butler (RIP) was one of the greatest of all time, in any sport. IMG and SL should be chasing Andrew Voss round every pie shop in the north west with a contract! 

Agree with the last bit on Vossy but can’t agree about Eddie Butler. Found his monologues to be extremely overrated and ostentatiously self absorbed.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Agreed - Eng v Wales with those two on comms was a perfect balance of poetic interpretation  and brutal honesty

Bill McLaren made even the most boring Union kickathon sound exciting.

• Like 3

On 31/10/2022 at 16:29, Davo5 said:

Bill McLaren made even the most boring Union kickathon sound exciting.

Micheal O Hehir, via the medium of his RTE radio commentaries, was very good at making GAA matches inevitably sound exciting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Did he make it sound any less baffling?

Come to think of it, has any Irishman ever made anything sound any less baffling?

If you found it baffling, then, yes, he would have made it less so.

Yes, Ireland has produced a series of erudite and intelligent scholars, philosophers and artists over the centuries - proportionally, probably far more than England, but I am open to discussion on that assertion (though probably not here!)

55 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Didn’t he used to commentate on the Grand National too?

Yes, he was often drafted in to join the BBC commentary team.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Yes, Ireland has produced a series of erudite and intelligent scholars, philosophers and artists over the centuries - proportionally, probably far more than England, but I am open to discussion on that assertion (though probably not here!)

Add a bit of name-dropping, and this could be a prose version of "Burn it Down" by Dexys Midnight Runners.

BTW, my surname is spelt differently from every other branch of the family due to some mutual incomprehension many moons ago between an English registrar and a chap from County Roscommon. Another chapter in 900 years of oppression.

3 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Micheal O Hehir, via the medium of his RTE radio commentaries, was very good at making GAA matches inevitably sound exciting.

Also BTW, I whole-heartedly agree with you, lest you thought otherwise.

• Thanks 1

I noticed that we had Newsum for the SF, while Vossy's commentary was carried by Aussie TV.

Looks as though the Beeb will stick with their own for the final and Vossy will commentate on the Fox League coverage.

Bit of a pity. I think I prefer him to all the BBC regulars.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

I noticed that we had Newsum for the SF, while Vossy's commentary was carried by Aussie TV.

Looks as though the Beeb will stick with their own for the final and Vossy will commentate on the Fox League coverage.

Bit of a pity. I think I prefer him to all the BBC regulars.

Newsum is a bit local radio for my taste. Would have been great to have had Voss, or at least maybe him as an alternate commentary option on the BBC website.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

I think Vossy was perfect in the Aus v NZ game womens' game! 

Thought that game was the least enjoyable commentary of the ones I've watched, still entertaining, but not as good as other games he's called

Sky keep banging on about the game proving itself and they are right but Sky needs to get the cheque book out & offer Vossy whatever he asks for to become their face/voice of Superleague,the man has done more to promote the game over here in a few short weeks than the RFL has done in years.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Bradman Better said:

2 hours ago, Bradman Better said:

The evaluation of Andrew Voss should be based on other criteria. Andrew Voss spends half his time trying to fabricate excitement, and also trying to be a comedian, and he is not very good at those roles. He should stick to raw game calling -- as Dave Wood does 80% of the time -- and leave the comedy to trained professionals.

.......like Jimmy Cricket ?.

Edited by Stirlin

People on this forum like Andrew Voss for two reasons. First, because unlike most Australians he follows Super League closely and always treats it with respect. Second, because he treats M62 restaurants and fast food, especially curries, as if they were candidates for a Michelin star, rather than as something meant to be thrown up on the train shortly after consumption.

The evaluation of Andrew Voss should be based on relevant criteria. Andrew Voss spends half his time trying to fabricate excitement in his listeners, about the mostly hum drum moves of the game he is watching. He also tries to be a comedian, and he is not very good at that role. He should stick to raw game calling -- as Dave Wood does 80% of the time -- and leave the comedy to trained professionals.

• Confused 1