How do we feel about the proposals?

How do you feel about the proposals?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the proposals?

• Ecstatic
    • Positive
    • Unsure
    • Disappointed
    • V disappointed

22 hours ago, Jughead said:

It’s difficult not to be anything other than unsure simply because there’s a lot of detail to be thrashed out on finer details within the proposal. Once that’s clearer, it will allow for a more solid thought on the proposal. 

It’s difficult not to be anything other than disappointed by the lack of detail

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

Speaking as a Cumbrian and also realising any aspirations of a Super League club in Cumbria are all but impossible , i think there is a case to be made that some Super League games go on the road to give Rugby League fans who follow their local Team a chance to watch a Super League game on their doorstep , if you take away any real chance of promotion for all but a few ,its not much to ask .Or do we just keep the game in house and let the rest lose interest and go to the wall? 

Yes, that used to be a thing, only the on-the-road games as I recall were in what were very much what you'd call expansion areas e.g. Edinburgh, and so probably weren't very successful economically. Revisiting that idea in Cumbria or perhaos the midlands might not be a bad plan. Do you think there would be an appetite for it in Cumbria, and which stadium would be the least unpopular place to host it?

2 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

Unless I missed it something not addressed is the salary cap. We still have cap figures introduced maybe 20 years ago. 
If we want to attract / retain top players then get rid of the cap or say treble it. 

That's the Paradox though. Four or five clubs wanting to scrap the cap and spend,spend,spend.

Same four or five then moan because their share of the pie is not big enough. 

I say if they can afford to double or treble the cap,give em no pie, they are financially fat enough already.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

Speaking as a Cumbrian and also realising any aspirations of a Super League club in Cumbria are all but impossible , i think there is a case to be made that some Super League games go on the road to give Rugby League fans who follow their local Team a chance to watch a Super League game on their doorstep , if you take away any real chance of promotion for all but a few ,its not much to ask .Or do we just keep the game in house and let the rest lose interest and go to the wall? 

I assume by Cumbrian you mean West Cumbrian and not Furness. Given the size of population centres in the county it will always be a challenge to grow the clubs beyond a certain size support wise. I wouldn't say that these proposals lock out either Workington or Whitehaven with certainty as we don't know how high the bar will be to reach a high enough grade for SL (in the early years at least). The aim for both (and Barrow) should be to become a leading Championship club with a B grade and to attract wider support outside their town to swell crowd numbers (I don't know how much they do this already). The annual reviews will then tell them whether they have a chance to progress further from that point.

Without meaning to sound harsh it has been 26 years since Workington were in the top tier (and it nearly destroyed them) and about 40 years for Whitehaven. I doubt this proposal has made much material difference to their top flight aspirations than they were previously.

2 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

That's the Paradox though. Four or five clubs wanting to scrap the cap and spend,spend,spend.

Same four or five then moan because their share of the pie is not big enough. 

I say if they can afford to double or treble the cap,give em no pie, they are financially fat enough already.

Why don't you give all your money away? 

3 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Meanwhile, in the real world. It's been 15 years since Catalan entered the competition and we are still waiting for significant TV revenue from that territory.  TOXIII's inclusion this year has yielded exactly zero extra income. 

London have got a hell of a lot of work to do before we should even consider them for a Cat B license.

If Wigan entered the French league (in pretty much any sport) would there be that broadcast appetite over here? Doubt it.

That is what we have with Catalans (Perpignan). Toulouse for a single season isn't going to make a difference frankly.

London is the key growth area for the sport in the UK. IMG have publicly stated as such. That doesn't mean London Broncos or Skolars are the vehicles to push that forwards necessarily.

Edited by Tommygilf

58 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

If Wigan entered the French league (in pretty much any sport) would there be that broadcast appetite over here? Doubt it.

That is what we have with Catalans (Perpignan). Toulouse for a single season isn't going to make a difference frankly.

London is the key growth area for the sport in the UK. IMG have publicly stated as such. That doesn't mean London Broncos or Skolars are the vehicles to push that forwards necessarily.

If Wigan wouldn't be a draw for English TV if they entered a French league, then it follows that (1) they also aren't a draw for TV in an English league and (2) they aren't a draw with respect to crowds down in London either.  And ditto for the other traditional clubs too.

So the question becomes, how on Earth does anyone think that just restructuring the game's current offering will bring more money into the game?  Then again the team which came up with this proposal is headed by an Aussie from Sydney who evidently doesn't understand the root causes of the lack of money in British RL.

21 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

If Wigan wouldn't be a draw for English TV if they entered a French league, then it follows that (1) they also aren't a draw for TV in an English league

No, it doesn't follow in the slightest. Your point makes no sense. 

It means in England there is little value for a French league with 1 English team in. 

It means in Canada there is little value for an English league with 1 Canadian team in. 

It means in France there is little value for an English league with 1 French team in. 

It is yet to be seen what the magic number is. 

But 10 English teams in one division is currently worth £25m per annum. 

So as i read it ,it looks like there looking at starting with two leagues of 14 and a league of 9 . Also looks like there is no limit to how many teams can grown to become a cat A team . So as a cat C the aim would be to slowly grow to become a cat B . Like wise cat B teams aims would be to grow and achieve a cat A . I also agree with an earlier poster who stated that teams should also be demoted from Cats if they are not performing. I would maybe give teams warnings first and a chance to get there house back in order. I would be interested in what criteria for each Cat will be .   I know both south yorkshire will struggle to get a B grade at moment but at least we should still have two clubs that can  have clear goals and aims.  

6 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Doubt it. We don't have many assets to sweat. Hopefully we'll have some when IMG have done their work.

Totally disagree 500 Million is peanuts for some USA sports investment corporations and thats all it would take dangle 25 million upfront each to 10 teams and away you go.

Paul

6 minutes ago, Rlsouthyorks said:

So as i read it ,it looks like there looking at starting with two leagues of 14 and a league of 9 . Also looks like there is no limit to how many teams can grown to become a cat A team . So as a cat C the aim would be to slowly grow to become a cat B . Like wise cat B teams aims would be to grow and achieve a cat A . I also agree with an earlier poster who stated that teams should also be demoted from Cats if they are not performing. I would maybe give teams warnings first and a chance to get there house back in order. I would be interested in what criteria for each Cat will be .   I know both south yorkshire will struggle to get a B grade at moment but at least we should still have two clubs that can  have clear goals and aims.  

No, they have stated the top tier will be 12 until it is full of Grade A's. 

6 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Totally disagree 500 Million is peanuts for some USA sports investment corporations and thats all it would take dangle 25 million upfront each to 10 teams and away you go.

Paul

And what do they get for their half a billion? 

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

No, they have stated the top tier will be 12 until it is full of Grade A's. 

Really i thought they were scrapping loop fixtures and magic weekend so if only 12 teams thats only 22 games . 11 home games club wont like that loss of income . Plus if only 22 tv would be less surely. 

On 28/09/2022 at 17:27, gingerjon said:

There's a lot more to like than dislike. Many of the criticisms in the main thread seem to be people either filling in blanks with things they don't like just so they can moan, or are actually going against what is in the proposals put out so far.

Broadly positive then.

Depends upon how your team sits in all this

Most SL supporters will positive as it gives most, maybe all, protection.

If your team is bottom half of Championship or lower, then there is nothing in it for you.

So more than likely all the positive comments are from SL fans, especially the ones that didn't want 2 x 10s

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Rlsouthyorks said:

Really i thought they were scrapping loop fixtures and magic weekend so if only 12 teams thats only 22 games . 11 home games club wont like that loss of income . Plus if only 22 tv would be less surely. 

Yup, that's the proposal. Its why we are hearing little bits now about what may fill the gaps. 

58 minutes ago, Dave T said:

OK. I'm listening. 

Pies have to be meat and potato and from approved pie shops. So: Gent's, Muffin Man, Rolling Pin.  Pimmies from Saints also qualify (or they did twenty years ago when I last tasted them). Nowhere else. Especially not Greggs.  On a "buttered" barm (involves margarine, obviously).

Beyond nirvana. 

Edited by Stuff Smith

19 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yup, that's the proposal. Its why we are hearing little bits now about what may fill the gaps. 

Create a gap , then fill a gap , maybe don't create it in the first place ? 😉

29 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

Depends upon how your team sits in all this

Most SL supporters will positive as it gives most, maybe all, protection.

If your team is bottom half of Championship or lower, then there is nothing in it for you.

So more than likely all the positive comments are from SL fans, especially the ones that didn't want 2 x 10s

My team are in the bottom half of the Championship.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

No, it doesn't follow in the slightest. Your point makes no sense. 

It means in England there is little value for a French league with 1 English team in. 

It means in Canada there is little value for an English league with 1 Canadian team in. 

It means in France there is little value for an English league with 1 French team in. 

It is yet to be seen what the magic number is. 

But 10 English teams in one division is currently worth £25m per annum. 

In fact my point makes good sense.  The current deal was the second time Sky decided that the game wasn't worth what they were paying and reduced their offer, and they also put the game on notice to prove its value if it even wants to get that amount again.

The reason they did that is the same as the reason they did in 1999: the current offering doesn't rate well enough to be worth more to them and this time they likely want to see ratings improve for it to be worth their while to continue.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

And what do they get for their half a billion? 

Thanks for reinforcing my point there.  Sky's managers have posed precisely that question about their 25 million £.

Just now, Big Picture said:

In fact my point makes good sense.  The current deal was the second time Sky decided that the game wasn't worth what they were paying and reduced their offer, and they also put the game on notice to prove its value if it even wants to get that amount again.

The reason they did that is the same as the reason they did in 1999: the current offering doesn't rate well enough to be worth more to them and this time they likely want to see ratings improve for it to be worth their while to continue.

Thanks for reinforcing my point there.  Sky's managers have posed precisely that question about their 25 million £.

That post has nothing to do with the post you made.