How do we feel about the proposals?

How do you feel about the proposals?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the proposals?

• Ecstatic
    • Positive
    • Unsure
    • Disappointed
    • V disappointed

8 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Meanwhile, in the real world. It's been 15 years since Catalan entered the competition and we are still waiting for significant TV revenue from that territory.  TOXIII's inclusion this year has yielded exactly zero extra income. 

London have got a hell of a lot of work to do before we should even consider them for a Cat B license.

All Catalan home games have been televised at no cost to the game. We benefit over here as we see all catalan home games which is extra coverage on TV.

This my friend is a TV deal. Now to get TO regular home games on TV so a chanel over there has weekly games and a bigger audience is the part where you can start negotiating a fee (on top of the production costs).

London category... how do you know they are a B when they haven't published what an A or a B is. I only mentioned them because the report does.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, yipyee said:

All Catalan home games have been televised at no cost to the game. We benefit over here as we see all catalan home games which is extra coverage on TV.

Agree. We probably also benefit slightly from having a better product in the eyes of the broadcaster. So they possibly feel obliged to bid a bit more than if we had another team from a small town in Yorkshire for example. Recently Featherstone were rumoured to be considering playing with a part time team if they got promoted. Things like that would harm the product, whereas Catalans potentially gives the sport a bit more credibility as a professional competition with their team, stadium, international perspective etc.  

It won't make a huge difference but I think it might help a bit. 

• Like 2

On 29/09/2022 at 06:50, The British Lion said:

As mentioned. There is much to be fleshed out.

- Happy with Challenge Cup return to May.

- Home and away fixtures, no loop fixtures, but lets see.

- Need more detail on licensing, its not clear enough

My one concern is the space for 'an' international fixture mid season. Just 'one' isn't enough. It needs to be 3 games, preferably during Origin in Oz. Then if the domestic calendars are lined up - That (via a miracle) should free up NZ, Tonga, Samoa, PNG, Fiji to compete either in their own Oceana Cup, or GB/England tournament.

One international mid season isn't enough. Yes I know there would be October internationals, but we can't just continue to 'tag on' Internationals at the end of a season, with nothing else meaty in the middle of the season.

That is an important point and you would think a single match against France, followed by a two match invitation to any of NZ, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji or PNG would be of interest to the RFL, the England coach, the invited nations and hopefully the fans.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

That is an important point and you would think a single match against France, followed by a two match invitation to any of NZ, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji or PNG would be of interest to the RFL, the England coach, the invited nations and hopefully the fans.

No mid season internationals involving NRL players is happening. Ever. That is done. So I suspect its an annual mid season test vs France than test series here against rotating cast which is fine. Thats 4 annual internationals with 3 being at home you suspect.

Edit: I would add that if IMG really want a TV deal in France they are going to have to help France get an annual test series too. Then someone buying into FRL gets a weekly home game for French teams for 22 weeks a year plus four internationals.

Edited by ShropshireBull
  • Like 1

On 28/09/2022 at 21:41, Londonbornirishbred said:

I'm with yipee here. Not quite sure how Licencing failed last time? I'll freely admit to some of the criteria not being "policed" properly, but Licencing was, like many other things in RL, not given an opportunity to bed in.

I believe the most different thing about this proposal from IMG is the use of the term "12 year plan". 

Like I said SL looking after them selves, closed shop.

• Like 2

So incentive is for all clubs to strive to get to be a Cat A. to avoid relegation, could there possibly be a scenario where the top tier is made up of successful Cat A clubs, and say one cat B.  However, on the sporting field the cat B club is ultra successful and become champions.  Could they be champions and relegated at the same time?

🤪

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fezantplucka said:

So incentive is for all clubs to strive to get to be a Cat A. to avoid relegation, could there possibly be a scenario where the top tier is made up of successful Cat A clubs, and say one cat B.  However, on the sporting field the cat B club is ultra successful and become champions.  Could they be champions and relegated at the same time?

🤪

Yes, IMG have confirmed that a Category B team could win the Super League title but then also be relegated in the same year. It’s a possibility but given the existing strength of the top clubs presently and then the next cluster of clubs, many existing Super League clubs, who will surely be striving for Category A, the chances of a Category B team winning the competition are slim, though not completely impossible, as we’ve seen a wider range of clubs get to finals in recent years. 

1 hour ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

An article in the daily mail today by Martin Samuels brilliantly takes down the IMG report and encapsulates all my reservations about it.

So what was Samuels solution? 

"Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution."

Albert Einstein   (Fat chance on THIS forum)

Just now, JohnM said:

Judging by his other subjects covered, his solution is to be very angry about everything.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Compare and contrast similarities with soccer - and conclude that it is not sport.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11264191/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Getting-rid-relegation-slices-heart-soul-sport.html

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

4 hours ago, Fezantplucka said:

🤪

No

27 minutes ago, Jughead said:

That’s one bizarre rant when, to date, we have no idea what the criteria to determine clubs rankings actually is. 

IMG must have , they've stated SL will consist of A grade and some B grade clubs , so they've already graded clubs to come to that conclusion 

2 hours ago, Jughead said:

That’s one bizarre rant when, to date, we have no idea what the criteria to determine clubs rankings actually is. 

We just need some Mike Rush characters at clubs outside of Super League to appeal against, and nit pick, each and every wording which is used when granting St Helens a Cat A.

I reckon lawyers will become involved before long.

National press already judge and jury.

Trial by social media shouldn't be overlooked.

I love professional sport - in such a great country as England.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

IMG must have , they've stated SL will consist of A grade and some B grade clubs , so they've already graded clubs to come to that conclusion 

That’s inconsequential when a journalist is writing such oddly pieced together rants like that when any criteria hasn’t been released to the public. 

3 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Compare and contrast similarities with soccer - and conclude that it is not sport.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11264191/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Getting-rid-relegation-slices-heart-soul-sport.html

The only time I have ever seen Samuel mention Rugby League is when he can have a dig. England could win the World Cup and he wouldn't mention it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jughead said:

By starting by talking about football, in fact almost entirely about football, he shows he knows next to nothing about the game. In fact he almost doesn’t mention the sport at all. If this was an essay he would fail for it being completely irrelevant.

Is there promotion and relegation in Six Nations? No. Has Samuels written about it without mentioning p and r? Well yes he has. Worthless article.

Licensing and P&R failed IMO because of the huge gap in funding between the divisions. If that is sorted out, both systems would work. 

If that is sorted out, and unlike last time, the licensing process is completely fair and transparent, then I'm quite positive about the proposals. 

However, I'm not convinced that either of these things will ever be allowed to happen whilst certain clubs chairman have a say on them.

On 29/09/2022 at 15:27, Human Punk said:

Yes, that used to be a thing, only the on-the-road games as I recall were in what were very much what you'd call expansion areas e.g. Edinburgh, and so probably weren't very successful economically. Revisiting that idea in Cumbria or perhaos the midlands might not be a bad plan. Do you think there would be an appetite for it in Cumbria, and which stadium would be the least unpopular place to host it?

If the selected game was marketed properly , yes i think it would work , the venue is immaterial really .There would be certain provisions like a target crowd to be acheived and if the whole match day thing didn`t work , well that venue wouldn`t be considered for the next fixture .The onus would be on the Club concerned to make sure it was done to a certain standard .

what a load of rubbish . These proposal are just going to keep the game in a rut . With about 4 teams getting grade A every ones knows they dont need to improve anything to get into super league . 12 teams just playing 22 games so much loss of revenue how can clubs improve . Do you think sky will pay for six less weeks and no magic weekend so loss of tv revenue . If you lose tv exposure you will also lose club sponsors. England v France what a waste of time do well to get 6,000 watching that . The game will go backwards with these ideas . Surely the leagues of ten are the way forward .   

Chief Crazy Eagle

8 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

Licensing and P&R failed IMO because of the huge gap in funding between the divisions. If that is sorted out, both systems would work. 

If that is sorted out, and unlike last time, the licensing process is completely fair and transparent, then I'm quite positive about the proposals. 

However, I'm not convinced that either of these things will ever be allowed to happen whilst certain clubs chairman have a say on them.

Until TV companies want to pay to televise lower tier it won't happen 

• Like 1

On 30/09/2022 at 17:07, Cheadle Leyther said:

An article in the daily mail today by Martin Samuels brilliantly takes down the IMG report and encapsulates all my reservations about it.

Daily Mail can jump. Huge proponents of Rugby League generally, aren't they?

Oh, hold on... Rugby League is only worthy of their coverage if they can show it in a negative light.

I know I've just echoed Damien, but a quote from the Daily Mail's article:

"Why bother with a sport at all then? Why bother with actual matches if all that matters are commercial considerations, crowds and revenue?"

Well, Daily Mail, you've never bothered with Rugby League. Ever. And it *is* a sport.

Unless, of course, there was a betting scandal or something similar you could use to reinforce and promote your prejudice.

Odious.

Like I said: jump.

Edited by Stuff Smith