What makes your club Grade A?

Class A - Wire Saints Leeds.

1 Fit for purpose stadium with RL the primary tenant if not owner . Excellent floodlights, broadcasting and media facilities, toilets and catering to a high standard, on site and well lit parking

2. Financials - any losses to be covered by capitalising loans.

3. Must run and be awarded cat1 academies and reserves

4. Gates - min 60% capacity or 6500

Edited by sweaty craiq
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Seeing as though Grade As are the only one's guaranteed to be in Super League and Grade A is reportedly going to be at a very high bar, it would seem the majority of clubs will be at Grade B or lower. Whilst we don't know the firm criteria yet, we can at least have a discussion about what each club can do.

So, what changes at your club to make it Grade A? 

Post code beginning WF7 

6 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

No they closed it due to no or poor competition as they were denied access to big boy league. Love how this thread was hijacked into a Leigh knockathon by the first few posts by the usual knownowts 

There's quotes about this, I've posted them before. Your fellow Leigh fan mentioned Leigh so maybe you should direct your wrath to him.

For what it's worth I have always supported Leighs right to have an academy. However as Snowy mentioned one preventing vultures signing Leigh youngsters I was curious as to why it should be different this time. I know Gubrats has been against one for this very reason.

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

There's quotes about this, I've posted them before. Your fellow Leigh fan mentioned Leigh so maybe you should direct your wrath to him.

For what it's worth I have always supported Leighs right to have an academy. However as Snowy mentioned one preventing vultures signing Leigh youngsters I was curious as to why it should be different this time. I know Gubrats has been against one for this very reason.

Leigh have never had a funded Cat 1 Academy  . 70’s  to 90’s we ran Decent colts teams

• Like 1

In reality, I don't think the Grade A clubs will be controversial or a surprise.  They are our strongest clubs. 

Wigan, Saints, Leeds, Hull, Wire, Catalans

That's a decent starter of a league, and if we had 6 more clubs of that strength we would be doing well. Sure, we can talk about Wigan giving way to a wedding at their stadium, Wire being rubbish on the field, and Hull's liking for rolling over and having their belly tickled, but they are the strongest clubs. 

Grade B's will be where the debates happen. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

In reality, I don't think the Grade A clubs will be controversial or a surprise.  They are our strongest clubs. 

Wigan, Saints, Leeds, Hull, Wire, Catalans

That's a decent starter of a league, and if we had 6 more clubs of that strength we would be doing well. Sure, we can talk about Wigan giving way to a wedding at their stadium, Wire being rubbish on the field, and Hull's liking for rolling over and having their belly tickled, but they are the strongest clubs. 

Grade B's will be where the debates happen. 

I have Hull as a B. They should be an A but they need to improve performances, finances and juniors IMO.

Edited by FearTheVee

5 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

I have Hull as a B. They should be an A but they need to improve performances, finances and juniors IMO.

I think we need to be careful not to over-analyse.

In reality, Hull perform at the top end of the game consistently. They underperform, but thats for their board and fans to be annoyed about. But they contribute to SL, with big crowds, big signings, they've made Cup Finals a Grand Final etc. 

They are a premium RL club. 

• Like 2

Do the criteria need to be binary? I think whatever the criteria they pick, there should be clear definable ways teams can progress over time

Stadium Requirements;

[1 Point] Full Ownership and scheduling in the clubs control

[2 Points] 4 stands with a roof on each

[3 Points] Hospitality, conferencing and commercial facilities used outside of game day

Attendances;

[1 Point] Average over 8,000 per home game in the last 3 seasons (2020 excluded)

[2 Points] Average over 10,000 per home game in the last 3 seasons (2020 excluded)

[3 Points] Average over 15,000 per home game in the last 3 seasons (2020 excluded)

etc etc

Make what "progress" means really obvious to all involved in the game, and progressively make the bar move. We have seen what keeping the salary cap stagnant for so long has done in terms of quality and licensing should continue to move everyone forwards, even those "comfortable A Licence teams"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Leigh folded their academy in the past because they said it was a waste of time and they couldn't stop kids going to the bigger clubs. Why do you expect it to be different this time?

Because if that's a requirement they won't be in SL??

Classy sponsors. Hoovers in, Home Bargains out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

9 minutes ago, Magic Superbeetle said:

Do the criteria need to be binary? I think whatever the criteria they pick, there should be clear definable ways teams can progress over time

Stadium Requirements;

[1 Point] Full Ownership and scheduling in the clubs control

[2 Points] 4 stands with a roof on each

[3 Points] Hospitality, conferencing and commercial facilities used outside of game day

Attendances;

[1 Point] Average over 8,000 per home game in the last 3 seasons (2020 excluded)

[2 Points] Average over 10,000 per home game in the last 3 seasons (2020 excluded)

[3 Points] Average over 15,000 per home game in the last 3 seasons (2020 excluded)

etc etc

Make what "progress" means really obvious to all involved in the game, and progressively make the bar move. We have seen what keeping the salary cap stagnant for so long has done in terms of quality and licensing should continue to move everyone forwards, even those "comfortable A Licence teams"

So that leaves...... nobody...

19 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think KR, and then Huddersfield, Toulouse, Leigh, Salford (ground purchase permitting) are all very close to an A imo.

Castleford and Wakey are Strong Bs imo

Why are Cas and Wakefield lower than Leigh? Don't want to start the Leythers off on one here, but I'm curious why you think that.

(Worse grounds? Yes, but they own them. They have no local version of Derek B. Is that it?)

5 minutes ago, Spidey said:

How are Leigh close to being an A?

4 minutes ago, Stuff Smith said:

Why are Cas and Wakefield lower than Leigh? Don't want to start the Leythers off on one here, but I'm curious why you think that.

(Worse grounds? Yes, but they own them. They have no local version of Derek B. Is that it?)

I hope you'll excuse me for replying simultaneously, but I didn't want to reply twice.

I think Cas and Wakefield suffer for a couple of reasons, particularly their grounds but also their ownership/financial investment (that essentially being nil). Currently every single one of those clubs I posted would be considered "strong grade b's" imo, I just thought it worthwhile saying which one's I thought were potentially closer to the top level. Leigh have that potential, though ultimately their business case might mean them being limited.

Cas and Wakefield with new grounds would absolutely be on a par with the others, if not As already. But considering grade A is for Clubs who are vital to the commercial health of the competition such to the point they will not be released from it, I don't think any are on an "A" footing right now.

10 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I hope you'll excuse me for replying simultaneously, but I didn't want to reply twice.

I think Cas and Wakefield suffer for a couple of reasons, particularly their grounds but also their ownership/financial investment (that essentially being nil). Currently every single one of those clubs I posted would be considered "strong grade b's" imo, I just thought it worthwhile saying which one's I thought were potentially closer to the top level. Leigh have that potential, though ultimately their business case might mean them being limited.

Cas and Wakefield with new grounds would absolutely be on a par with the others, if not As already. But considering grade A is for Clubs who are vital to the commercial health of the competition such to the point they will not be released from it, I don't think any are on an "A" footing right now.

Thanks but that doesn’t say much about Leigh being an A, more about Cas & Wakey being a B. An A is possibly a place in SL for life. I’m not sure Leigh should be given that opportunity yet (neither should Cas or Wakey)