What makes your club Grade A?

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Well yes in my opinion. It's a fan discussion forum, with a specific thread about gradings. 

My point is that there shouldn't need to be too much discussion about the Wigan's, Leeds' and Hull's of this world. The decisions are around that middle ground where club merits are far closer. 

If we did a survey of RL fans who their 12 would be, I expect 90%+ would name the 6 I have in their top tier. The debate would be who make up the other 6 places. 

Arguing about whether Wigan own their ground, or Hull have a long lease is a waste of time. 

Dave , you and I both know they've already done it , otherwise why mention France and London ? , Do they really think the women's game is going to grow income to the point they'll be able to make money from it ?

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Dave , you and I both know they've already done it , otherwise why mention France and London ? , Do they really think the women's game is going to grow income to the point they'll be able to make money from it ?

I disagree. 

If IMG want to make money here, it is not in their interest to play the protection game, or the favourites game. 

If they rank London or Toulouse as good enough then it will be because they think they add value. Not through any conspiracy or weird loyalty. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I disagree. 

If IMG want to make money here, it is not in their interest to play the protection game, or the favourites game. 

If they rank London or Toulouse as good enough then it will be because they think they add value. Not through any conspiracy or weird loyalty. 

So it will be purely on an ' added value to SL ' basis ?

And sod the rest ?

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So it will be purely on an ' added value to SL ' basis ?

And sod the rest ?

Nothing in there suggests sod the rest. But the top tier and internationals are the only comps that bring serious money in, so it is sensible to start with them. 

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Nothing in there suggests sod the rest. But the top tier and internationals are the only comps that bring serious money in, so it is sensible to start with them. 

If it is an added value it has to be 

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

There is no money to be made out of the lower tiers ( everything below SL ) so it is ' sod them ' 

From what I have read, the 2nd and 3rd tiers were mentioned plenty, despite us being told that we were going to be 20 teams and sod the rest. 

I’m not entirely sure where to put this as just got home from work and trying to digest the news but I think they’ve nailed it from the French perspective. 

The general comments about Catalans and to a certain degree Toulouse are that they are well run clubs, with great reserve and youth structure, sponsors, stadiums and local government support 

BUT 

They bring no additional TV incomes and that the whole point of bringing them in to the UK game was to give French players a go at a higher level and produce a better national team.   

On the negatives make a TV deal part of an A license. While it was slightly unreasonable to expect a French regional RL team to sort this with a Northern English governing body supporting them. IMG are the exclusive TV agents for the French 2023 RUWC. 

Without relegation to worry about the idea to set them a number of French players is great.  

Finally the cap at two teams means we won’t have a complete farce of loads of Elite one players trotting around way above their pay grade. 

On 28/09/2022 at 19:57, Damien said:

I wasn't questioning them having an academy. The question was why would kids not still go to bigger clubs.

Thats easy D they stay and play   along side  their mates who the'ave played with since they were babies  they all know ir's only acadamy and if their good enough they will get picked up when they are older

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, POR said:

Thats easy D they stay and play   along side  their mates who the'ave played with since they were babies  they all know ir's only acadamy and if their good enough they will get picked up when they are older

Well they haven't done that before so it's obviously not that easy.

9 hours ago, POR said:

Why can't they go do that at the bigger club academies like they have for decades? Its not a chore for most kids to travel, indeed many travel further to play amateur at top clubs to get noticed *cough*Siddal*cough

9 hours ago, Damien said:

Well they haven't done that before so it's obviously not that easy.

Lads who just want to play with their mates and hopefully get picked up if they're good enough.

That's perfectly fine. Definitely a place for it in a rugby league that is open to all.

But it doesn't scream ambition, does it?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Lads who just want to play with their mates and hopefully get picked up if they're good enough.

That's perfectly fine. Definitely a place for it in a rugby league that is open to all.

But it doesn't scream ambition, does it?

Shockingly I doubt they will be the lads that make it pro.

• Like 1

I genuinely don't care who gets to be Category A.

What I want the RFL and IMG to do is to take steps so that the product we offer is improved, it reaches more people through more and improved media/social media/sports channels which means that more people can enjoy our sport, we generate more income and Rugby League thrives because of this.

If they feel that this is a necessary step on this journey then I will accept that.  But the outcomes are far more important than the actions here.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

at leeds nothing needed to change as they were already grade A .

the fact that the ground has been improved  

there certainly solvent

teams in the super league grand final. womens grand final. academy grand final. PDL final. and wheelchair final.

run a rugby foundation that works with junior clubs and schools and has a large budget.

sems to have the biggest audience for its online presence of any club

and of course, has the savour in the sleeve.

recon Leeds are in the A grade of clubs

14 hours ago, POR said:

clubs pluck players from the age of 12 and to be picked after the age of 14 is not that common at a number of clubs that run scholarships.  

when you look at what the big clubs give not only academy players but also scholarship players in terms of kit etc. it's no Suprise young players would go to the big academies' . at least one academy sorts out access to college courses etc. so why would you not want to go to a big academy when they will do so much for you and even if you don't make super league grade when often they will sort you out with a championship or league one club