Ralph's grovelling apology

8 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Geez . I mean it doesn’t even make any sense anyway . 

Agreed.

Embarrassing, unprofessional, idiotic. And probably racist. Is he denigrating Fijians or rugby league players in general? Or specifically Fijian rugby league players?

(Sack him now! Oh, second thoughts, too late.)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stuff Smith said:

Agreed.

Embarrassing, unprofessional, idiotic. And probably racist. Is he denigrating Fijians or rugby league players in general? Or specifically Fijian rugby league players?

(Sack him now! Oh, second thoughts, too late.)

I actually think it's probably more a dig at the NRL and all the off field indiscretions over the years. Who knows though and maybe I'm being generous. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RigbyLuger said:

As there must have been media there on Monday night, why has it taken until today for a non-RL writer to publish the story?

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/exclusive-rfl-ralph-rimmer-fiji-28107245

The bloke is a total embarrassment. He should fall on his sword after these comments.

Without a doubt the game has gone backwards under his watch. He has certainly been overpaid for the little he has done for the game. I can't imagine firms queuing up to take him on as CEO or a job with any sort of responsibility.

• Like 4

Just now, Exiled Wiganer said:

It was clearly a stupid slip of the tongue. He has worked year in year out for the entire international game. As long as the Fijians accost it, a grovelling apology is proportionate, 

He obviously thought it though, which is concerning in itself. 

I would like to think it was challenged at the time. 

I think that someone who has worked for the International game and is paid extremely well should be capable of knowing what is appropriate. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Outrageous remark which is based on a hideous stereotype of island populations. In my experience, the Fijian players have always conducted themselves in an exemplary manner and deserve nothing but praise.

Rimmer should resign immediately or be removed. 

Now if he had said the Aussies...it would have been bang on.

Edited by jacksy
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

I have some sympathy for someone who makes a throwaway line that they didn't think through.  I have done the same.

But that sympathy starts to fade away when you are a 56 year old CEO who is at an official function and being filmed.  Part of that role is to do and say the right things.  All of the time.

This is probably an easy one to ride out with him already leaving.  Luckily for him.

• Like 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I have some sympathy for someone who makes a throwaway line that they didn't think through.  I have done the same.

But that sympathy starts to fade away when you are a 56 year old CEO who is at an official function and being filmed.  Part of that role is to do and say the right things.  All of the time.

This is probably an easy one to ride out with him already leaving.  Luckily for him.

Part of that role is to do and say the right things.  All of the time.

True, but I can't remember Rimmer ever having done that. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I should imagine he will have to give the town of Rochdale a wide berth from now on!

A horrible, horrible man who sadly will face no accountability for these despicable comments.

Rochdale is a far better place for having its Fijian community.

Mr Rimmer is not welcome in our town.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

A horrible, horrible man who sadly will face no accountability for these despicable comments.

Rochdale is a far better place for having its Fijian community.

Mr Rimmer is not welcome in our town.

With a population of around 220,000, I doubt that even 0.05% of Rochdale MBC residents have heard of Rimmer.

Anyway, here's a test for those condemning Rimmer. What would you have thought of him had he not made that comment?

8 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

As were Rimmer’s comments, but I dont see you condeming them.

I condemn everything that anyone has ever said, ever, in the whole of human and inhuman existence and in the future. Is that better now?. Your use of the word excrement is entirely out of order and has been reported to the mods 

• Haha 1