Ralph's grovelling apology

What would have happened if a player had come out with that comment?

The Match Review Panel would have had a field day with its deliberations and decisions.

The CEO should have known better and should face the same consequences if a player had made the comment.

We have tickets for the England v Fiji game at the AJBell and I wonder which RFL officials, if any will be there, and just what will be said to the Fijians pre and post match?

• Like 4

We have jobs, you know, I'm a volunteer moderator, and John has to deal with all his work stuff. If we don't get to things quickly at times then that's no excuse to treat it as an excuse to go overboard yourself.

A bunch of posts deleted.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Interesting thread that sums it up for me - the footage is still available to watch on Our league! Tinpot response 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

7 hours ago, JohnM said:

I condemn everything that anyone has ever said, ever, in the whole of human and inhuman existence and in the future. Is that better now?. Your use of the word excrement is entirely out of order and has been reported to the mods 

I didnt use that word….it was another poster and that post appears to have been removed.  But i dont expect that will stop you making these wild accusations or offering an apology.

8 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

A horrible, horrible man who sadly will face no accountability for these despicable comments.

Rochdale is a far better place for having its Fijian community.

Mr Rimmer is not welcome in our town.

You clearly mean Ralph, I take it, Anita.  No doubt his brother, Rob, would be welcome, having played for Hornets, if I remember correctly.

10 hours ago, JohnM said:

With a population of around 220,000, I doubt that even 0.05% of Rochdale MBC residents have heard of Rimmer.

Anyway, here's a test for those condemning Rimmer. What would you have thought of him had he not made that comment?

Look back at any of my previous posts as regards him. I make no apologies for the fact that he makes my skin   crawl if he is within 10 yards of me, a fact that I have pointed out to him personally 

• Like 1

On 29/09/2022 at 06:12, Exiled Wiganer said:

It was clearly a stupid slip of the tongue. He has worked year in year out for the entire international game. As long as the Fijians accept it, a grovelling apology is proportionate, 

Nice one Champ! I’ve always thought we would go far under your stewardship.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Amber Avenger said:
the footage is still available to watch on Our league! 

Because we don't take this sort of thing seriously.

And then wonder why other sports are genuinely more welcoming to a whole range of people than our highly specific, banter approach.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, Hemi4561 said:

Look back at any of my previous posts as regards him. I make no apologies for the fact that he makes my skin   crawl if he is within 10 yards of me, a fact that I have pointed out to him personally 

So his comment merely reinforces your deep personal hatred of him? What has he ever done to you?

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Of those criticising him for his comment, what was your opinion of him previously?

I am genuinely at a loss to understand why this is relevant. 

Those who had a negative perception of him before would have that perception reinforced. 

Those who were positive will be disappointed by this.

So what is the point of this post?

• Like 6

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Wonder if this is starting to get some traction outside RL circles. Troy is the head of development for Kick It Out so not exactly a great look

• Like 2

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

1 hour ago, ckn said:

Will be interesting to see how Martyn's poll on Twitter ends up:

I voted for apology should be accepted. 

People make mistakes, that is life, God knows I have made a few. 

If he apologises then I don't see any reason why it cannot be accepted.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I haven`t voted but the bloke has to be made an example of, because he is setting a very poor example himself and giving a sly nod to all the racists associated with the game.

Out on his bloody ear with a kick up the bum on the way out. Unbelievable, what an insult.

39 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I voted for apology should be accepted. 

People make mistakes, that is life, God knows I have made a few. 

If he apologises then I don't see any reason why it cannot be accepted.

I voted that he be booted, he knows better, or bloody well should. He's not a junior employee or someone who can be excused as making an unintentional mistake.

• Like 4

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I think a few factors must be considered. Firstly, his seniority. He is a leading figure in the sports governing body.

Secondly, the fact that these were not remarks made in private. They were made at an RFL event.

Thirdly, the impact on the World Cup. It is deeply embarrassing for the sport to have these comments aired just weeks before a World Cup.

Finally, and most importantly, these comments are deeply unfair. The captain of Fiji played for St Helens until the end of last season and conducted himself in a magnificent manner throughout his time here.

When Fiji were last here, they positively engaged with the community, especially in Rochdale. I haven't forgotten Fiji inviting the England players to join them in prayer / reflection after our group stage match on the day that Steve Prescott died. A kind gesture that meant a lot.

Rimmer should, in my view, be suspended pending full investigation. 

• Like 8

I voted that his apology be accepted, though resigning might have been something he considered. Sure, I'm probably in a minority, but I'm fed up with the hatred of him expressed on here by the mob. Some of the comments expressed about him on this and other issues says as much about his accusers as it does about him and in the workplace could have been described as bullying.

One point Martyn might have raised, though, was that of rehabilitation.

Edited by JohnM
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, ckn said:

I voted that he be booted, he knows better, or bloody well should. He's not a junior employee or someone who can be excused as making an unintentional mistake.

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Absolutely. He's going anyway, get it done now.

3 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Rimmer should, in my view, be suspended pending full investigation. 

Well, you are harsher than me for sure.

I am inclined to accept that this was a misjudged and throwaway comment that he certainly shouldn't have said but I have made gaff's in the past and would hope that people accept it for what it was.

I would take a harder line if it was a text of WhatsApp etc as that takes a bit more of a decision to make and send a comment... speaking off the cuff can sometimes lead to a brain fart.

I am not defending the comment - it was out of order - but just that we can punish every mistake or we can accept that sometimes people make mistakes.

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

I voted that his apology be accepted, though resigning might have been something he considered. Sure, I'm probably in a minority, but I'm fed up with the hatred of him expressed on here by the mob. Some of the comments expressed about him on this and other issues says as much about his accusers as it does about him and in the workplace could have been described as bullying.

One point Martyn might have raised, though, was that of rehabilitation.

That was my first post ever criticising Rimmer. For someone in his position, it was unacceptable, and deeply embarrassing for the sport because it was directly related to it. Deserves no tolerance.

THEN you add on that it’s just before the major showpiece of the World Cup and it’ll give those who don’t like rugby league yet another thing to point at.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ckn said:

That was my first post ever criticising Rimmer. For someone in his position, it was unacceptable, and deeply embarrassing for the sport because it was directly related to it. Deserves no tolerance.

THEN you add on that it’s just before the major showpiece of the World Cup and it’ll give those who don’t like rugby league yet another thing to point at.

Apologies if it read that way but my post wasn't referring to you.

Edited by JohnM
  • Thanks 1