Ralph's grovelling apology

4 hours ago, ckn said:

I voted that he be booted, he knows better, or bloody well should. He's not a junior employee or someone who can be excused as making an unintentional mistake.

There is no way a junior employee would be spared the boot if they were making similar comments.

An apology is mandatory, which I believe he has done.

As a man finishing anyway, if he had a single ounce of integrity and love for the sport, he would fall on his sword immediately, instead of sticking around for his end of year bonus.

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t think he’s racist. I think he was referring to the bother all international teams (inc England) can get into on overseas tours. But it isn’t the point. He’s a CEO, he should be a statesman. Not winging it with off the cuff ‘gags’ which sound crass at best, and at worst racist. More is expected of a CEO and rightly. He’s paid a very big salary to represent the sport professionally at all times. Read a bloody speech. Don’t be arrogant enough to think you can wing it. Don’t be an idiot. It’s not hard. 

• Like 5

There was an article in the Daily Mirror about it today.

I saw the video for the first time. Disappointingly, some attendees found the remark funny and laughed.

I think someone should have spoken up at the time. There must have been plenty of officials there with enough seniority to do so. Even a gentle riposte would have been better. 

It would have been uncomfortable for many attendees I imagine. 

If he is genuinely sorry then surely he would offer his resignation. To continue seems to be compounding it for all of us.

Edited by Niels

10 hours ago, Niels said:

There was an article in the Daily Mirror about it today.

I saw the video for the first time. Disappointingly, some attendees found the remark funny and laughed.

I think someone should have spoken up at the time. There must have been plenty of officials there with enough seniority to do so. Even a gentle riposte would have been better. 

It would have been uncomfortable for many attendees I imagine. 

If he is genuinely sorry then surely he would offer his resignation. To continue seems to be compounding it for all of us.

There must have been media there who haven't reported on this. Either they didn't think it was newsworthy, or we're willing to report on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RigbyLuger said:

There must have been media there who haven't reported on this. Either they didn't think it was newsworthy, or we're willing to report on it.

Well shame on them. so long as we have old white males in positions of authority still coming out with this nonsense we will never be able to move forward as a game of equal opportunity for all. 

You never heard this sort of stuff from Bill Fallowfield, or David Oxley (or Maurice Lindsay). 

17 hours ago, Salfordfan said:

I don’t think he’s racist. I think he was referring to the bother all international teams (inc England) can get into on overseas tours. But it isn’t the point. He’s a CEO, he should be a statesman. Not winging it with off the cuff ‘gags’ which sound crass at best, and at worst racist. More is expected of a CEO and rightly. He’s paid a very big salary to represent the sport professionally at all times. Read a bloody speech. Don’t be arrogant enough to think you can wing it. Don’t be an idiot. It’s not hard. 

He has to be the worst representation of our sport generally....and now this 

Do we know who is taking over?

• Like 2

Well that is an inglorious finale for our esteemed leader.

Even if he tried to paint it as some post modernist ironic jape, I doubt he will be able to brush it off. 

As often it has been the case, instead of leadership we get comedy. But it  is a dark bitter humour that no one finds funny. 

On 30/09/2022 at 17:47, Sports Prophet said:

There is no way a junior employee would be spared the boot if they were making similar comments.

I have been thinking about this and I think it is a difficult argument to say that a comment like this is gross misconduct and so a dismissal.

It was a poor comment from a leader but I think an employee would have a pretty strong case from a tribunal if they were dismissed due to making a comment about whether anyone from a touring team had been arrested yet.  It just isn't explicitly racist or derogatory enough to warrant a gross misconduct charge.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I have been thinking about this and I think it is a difficult argument to say that a comment like this is gross misconduct and so a dismissal.

It was a poor comment from a leader but I think an employee would have a pretty strong case from a tribunal if they were dismissed due to making a comment about whether anyone from a touring team had been arrested yet.  It just isn't explicitly racist or derogatory enough to warrant a gross misconduct charge.

Whilst terribly gross, I never expected urinating in one’s mouth to warrant a misconduct charge, but alas, we lost a fabulously skilled player for such behaviour.

You may be right, not certainly, I don’t think.

Apparently it was meant as a joke, how i don't know. Why say it in the first place?. The man can't go 10 minutes without saying something that angers a section of the RL fan base and now he's outdone himself. Thank god he's going this year, i just hope his replacement is better.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I disagree. I think a tribunal would, given sufficient background information,would be happy not to uphold an appeal against dismissal.

I see this as a perfect opportunity to get rid of him without any deals, exorbitant pay offs or golden handshakes. He has been well paid whilst in post, now he should be sacked, and only receive the bare minimum he is entitled to. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hemi4561 said:

I disagree. I think a tribunal would, given sufficient background information,would be happy not to uphold an appeal against dismissal.

I see this as a perfect opportunity to get rid of him without any deals, exorbitant pay offs or golden handshakes. He has been well paid whilst in post, now he should be sacked, and only receive the bare minimum he is entitled to. 

You think saying "we don't think anyone has been arrested yet, do we" about a touring sports side is a gross misconduct offence?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

You think saying "we don't think anyone has been arrested yet, do we" about a touring sports side is a gross misconduct offence?

Well I don't Dunbar.

The Madness of Crowds!

It was just a joke, for god's sake (albeit an ill-conceived one).

I reckon it was a poorly crafted sideswipe at Jarryd Hayne's recent well publicised brush with the law.

Ralph probably thought he (Hayne) was in the touring party. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Well I don't Dunbar.

The Madness of Crowds!

I reckon it was a poorly crafted sideswipe at Jarryd Hayne's recent well publicised brush with the law.

And the gross misconduct discussion is if a junior employee had said it.

I don't know how anyone could justify firing a junior employee for joking about whether  a touring sport team had anyone arrested yet.  How can that be serious enough for someone to lose their job.  I certainly wouldn't even consider it

The CEO has a greater burden not to say anything stupid... but even here I think an apology for a daft off the cuff remark is enough. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Well I don't Dunbar.

The Madness of Crowds!

But that was regarding an appeal against a conviction for aggravated sexual assault against a woman. 

It isn't a suitable subject to make a joke or sideswipe about, especially for a CEO.

There was an article about it in the Observer today. It is just creating bad publicity the longer he remains.

13 minutes ago, Hemi4561 said:

Yes, it shows a level of stupidity incompatible with being the CEO of the RFL. 

We are clearly talking at cross purposes here.  The post you originally quoted from me was about firing a junior employee for such a comment, not the CEO.

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

We are clearly talking at cross purposes here.  The post you originally quoted from me was about firing a junior employee for such a comment, not the CEO.

We obviously are. I am not considering anything other than the case in point, Ralph Rimmer and his comment.