Ralph's grovelling apology

9 hours ago, Hemi4561 said:

We obviously are. I am not considering anything other than the case in point, Ralph Rimmer and his comment. 

Not sure why you replied to a post about something else then and started this conversation. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 hours ago, Niels said:

But that was regarding an appeal against a conviction for aggravated sexual assault against a woman. 

It isn't a suitable subject to make a joke or sideswipe about, especially for a CEO.

There was an article about it in the Observer today. It is just creating bad publicity the longer he remains.

All I can say Niels, is that the Observer must be absolutely desperate for a headline.

By the way, I wasn't referring the Haynes (successful) appeal, I was referring to his initial arrest and of course the fact that he fled the United States of America following an accusation of rape.

I'm just surmising that Hayne might have been at the back of Rimmer's mind, when he made the joke.

I don't know that to be true.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fighting irish said:

All I can say Niels, is that the Observer must be absolutely desperate for a headline.

Daily Star was the first to report the comment.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I don't think the comment was too horrendous.

I suspect it was a bit of an in-joke about the fact that we are bringing 32 squads of young athletes together and stuff like this must be relatively high on the risk register, particularly around some of the issues that we see in the NRL. I suspect keeping 24 young blokes occupied and out of trouble on tour is a challenge. 

However, that is me giving the benefit of the doubt and making a generous interpretation of it. The bigger issue here is that Rimmer should know better than this, and his apology should attempt to explain the context if it was so innocent, he is leaving himself exposed to claims of racism. We also then see a poor response from the RFL - to have this still on show on their sites just shows how serious they take this kind of thing. 

I think a full apology, with context, maybe even a public rebuke from the RFL and let him move on at the end of the year. 

I don't see the merits of a gross misconduct dismissal, but really I do see an inadequate response from the governing body. 

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Madrileño said:

As @Salfordfansaid.... crass at best.

At worst, racist.

Certainly not what we need from a statesman type role like Rimmer has.

Badly lacking the professional image needed for a role like his. 

I know this is a cheap shot but he even dresses in a bad way for the leader of our sport 

Looks like he's just got off the set of Last of the Summer Wine 

Say what you like about Elstone....at least h we came across professional

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I know this is a cheap shot but he even dresses in a bad way for the leader of our sport 

Looks like he's just got off the set of Last of the Summer Wine 

Say what you like about Elstone....at least h we came across professional

So really, what this is about is one more pathetic  reason to vilify Rimmer.  Sure, his remark is a self- inflicted wound, but really, moaning about  his appearance really is scraping the barrel. Why don't you people just come out and say it. "We hate Rimmer."

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JohnM said:

So really, what this is about is one more pathetic  reason to vilify Rimmer.  Sure, his remark is a self- inflicted wound, but really, moaning about  his appearance really is scraping the barrel. Why don't you people just come out and say it. "We hate Rimmer."

I qualified it as a cheap shot but.....

In ALL business what you wear matters 

Ralph could choose and afford to wear a proper suit. Instead he wears outfits that look like he's off badger baiting with his farmer mates 

Also - I am not talking about what he looks like other than his clothes (which he decides to wear)

I don't hate Ralph. I just don't want him as the boss and figure head of the sport

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I qualified it as a cheap shot but.....

In ALL business what you wear matters 

Ralph could choose and afford to wear a proper suit. Instead he wears outfits that look like he's off badger baiting with his farmer mates 

Also - I am not talking about what he looks like other than his clothes (which he decides to wear)

I don't hate Ralph. I just don't want him as the boss and figure head of the sport

Steve Jobs, Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, Derek Beaumont..

can we all agree on one thing...

IF it was a joke it patently a poor one because none of us can work out exactly what the joke was about or referencing, everyone seems to have a different opinion on what it was.. 

On Rimmer.. for me its the final of many final straws of his poor stewardship of the game. It shows terrible judgement. If it was an obvious joke about historical instances then it has a potential place but it doesnt (or at least he has picked the wrong team to do it on). A CEO or senior leader is not making a speech to be funny (a skilled one can be but its not done with "wise cracks"). I am no fan of Rimmer but not because of "him" but because of how ineffectual I believe he has been in most aspects of what the CEO needs to do which is different to, for example, the COO which he may be very good at. IMHO a CEO is the figure head, the outgoing one, the one who knows how to hold a room without crass comments and wise cracks. Rimmer has never been that and that is not necessarily on him its on who hired him.

This though is beyond acceptable. I would suggest an apology would normally be enough but he hasnt even got that right and IMHO the only option the RFL have is to ask him to resign and forfeit a large chunk of the payoff he would be getting from resigning later. Otherwise its down the disciplinary route. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RP London said:

can we all agree on one thing...

IF it was a joke it patently a poor one because none of us can work out exactly what the joke was about or referencing, everyone seems to have a different opinion on what it was.. 

On Rimmer.. for me its the final of many final straws of his poor stewardship of the game. It shows terrible judgement. If it was an obvious joke about historical instances then it has a potential place but it doesnt (or at least he has picked the wrong team to do it on). A CEO or senior leader is not making a speech to be funny (a skilled one can be but its not done with "wise cracks"). I am no fan of Rimmer but not because of "him" but because of how ineffectual I believe he has been in most aspects of what the CEO needs to do which is different to, for example, the COO which he may be very good at. IMHO a CEO is the figure head, the outgoing one, the one who knows how to hold a room without crass comments and wise cracks. Rimmer has never been that and that is not necessarily on him its on who hired him.

This though is beyond acceptable. I would suggest an apology would normally be enough but he hasnt even got that right and IMHO the only option the RFL have is to ask him to resign and forfeit a large chunk of the payoff he would be getting from resigning later. Otherwise its down the disciplinary route. 

I do think we should remember the context here, it was an awards ceremony, rather than a press speech or similar, so I think a relaxed quip or two is not out of place. 

I went to the recent World Cup forum, and I found him a bit cringy and felt a bit sorry for him. He was dressed smartly but apparently wore odd socks - he was asked about that and went on to explain he always does and its a talking point and that he is a little bonkers. I found his answer a little too David Brent and I did think that this isn't what we need as a leader. 

His passion came across well that evening, but he didn't come across as particularly sharp or inspiring. And that is what I want from a leader. People should leave the room being impressed. 

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I do think we should remember the context here, it was an awards ceremony, rather than a press speech or similar, so I think a relaxed quip or two is not out of place. 

I went to the recent World Cup forum, and I found him a bit cringy and felt a bit sorry for him. He was dressed smartly but apparently wore odd socks - he was asked about that and went on to explain he always does and its a talking point and that he is a little bonkers. I found his answer a little too David Brent and I did think that this isn't what we need as a leader. 

His passion came across well that evening, but he didn't come across as particularly sharp or inspiring. And that is what I want from a leader. People should leave the room being impressed. 

I dont disagree with the bit in bold and its why I said a skilled CEO can be without "wise cracks". If the Fijians had a history of being arrested on tour then I would feel differently (though i would say it probably needed a better delivery, but i'm not a comedian) but they havent. 

As you go on to say though I do think it is not out of place for him, it sort of sums him up, and its why I think he has been in the wrong job as CEO from the very start, and that isnt necessarily on him but on those that thought he was a natural successor. 

Edited by RP London
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

They dress casually 

Ralph dresses like Compo. Not the look when we want to challenge it's perception as a northern sport only 

Really grasping at straws, that.

You forgot to mention his dirty fingernails, bad hair cut,  body odour...😀😀😀

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Not sure how much you know about leadership in the real world John but you are coming across as naive 

Senior manager in two large US corporations. No hiding  place for failure, no place for naivety and certainly no place for fashion shows.

3 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Not sure how much you know about leadership in the real world John but you are coming across as naive 

I must admit, I work in banking, a relatively traditional industry, and I'm finding your views a bit old fashioned. 

35 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I must admit, I work in banking, a relatively traditional industry, and I'm finding your views a bit old fashioned. 

Indeed.  I used to be 3 peice suit 10 years ago.  I am now in jeans and a geeky Star Trek t-shirt and no-one bats an eyelid.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris