Sun 2nd Oct: ChGF: Leigh Centurions v Batley Bulldogs KO 6.30pm (Premier Sports)

Who will win?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leigh Centurions by 13 points or more
    • Leigh Centurions by 7 to 12 points
    • Leigh Centurions by 1 to 6 points
    • Batley Bulldogs by 1 to 6 points
    • Batley Bulldogs by 7 to 12 points
    • Batley Bulldogs by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/10/22 at 18:00

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Disagree Rob, Charnley is nowhere near the player he once was, he would still have been at Warrington if he was but Powell preferred to utilise Kids whilst he was still at Warrington and since coming to Leigh I can see why.

There's a lot of players Daryll Powell didn't rate at Wire, one of them in Toby King will be starting centre at Wigan next year. Charnley has been solid if unspectacular this year for Leigh, however I'm happy to give him the benefit of doubt since it was a stop start year for him. I'll reserve judgement until I've seen him after a full preseason at Leigh.

1 minute ago, LeytherRob said:

There's a lot of players Daryll Powell didn't rate at Wire, one of them in Toby King will be starting centre at Wigan next year. Charnley has been solid if unspectacular this year for Leigh, however I'm happy to give him the benefit of doubt since it was a stop start year for him. I'll reserve judgement until I've seen him after a full preseason at Leigh.

OK, 

2 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

He definitely has the build/frame and does have some pace(but nothing express) but is very raw at present. Will need regular gametime at championship level next year so I expect him to go to whoever the DR partner with Leeds ends up being next year. He played wing for Swinton but his future is definitely center short to medium term and probably second row once he gets to his later 20s, early 30s.

Personally, I'd have like to have kept him...there is definitely potential in there and would have been an ideal 'squad number 25-30' type player for us but can't blame him for going to Leeds, it's a good place for a young player to go and learn.

What I will say is his(and the other fringe players for that matter)attitude has been exemplary, there hasn't been so much as a whisper this year of any tantrums or fall outs out over non selection. First time in a long time at leigh, especially seasons with high spend.

Smith seems to like his project players, as Hooley and Leon Ruan from Donny have also apparently been signed. I doubt they’ll play much first team footy next year but that will depend on injuries. 

I don’t think Leeds is necessarily a good place for young players to develop though, our record of bringing through players has been rather poor in recent years. Dupree was one we let slip through our net, along with Trout, although Huddersfield pushed for him as part of the Leeming transfer. Even the likes of Broadbent and Walters who I had high hopes for have not progressed as much as expected. Then there’s not so young Jack Walker who is seemingly on the outer. 

You guys certainly look well set up to compete next year. Mulhern and Davis should go well for you. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

So if we agree that Cats and TO bring in nothing for Sky then surely you can see that any UK club would bring in more, if not then the conversation is a wasted one anyway 

What are your thoughts on the French tv deal or no Sky funding?

Who agrees that. How does the most shown team on Sky bring nothing to Sky. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SalfordSlim said:

Why confused @Davo5?😁 If a team doesn't have the cash they can't spend the cap, that's pretty simple economics (unless you're a RU Premiership team!). Feel free to enlighten us on how the likes of Salford/Wakey are able to "rethink about spending the cap". Looking forward to your response...😁👍

My point being those clubs faced with a cashed up Leigh team will have the difficult decision of whether to spend up to the cap or face the very real threat of demotion & by the looks of things not being able to spend up to the cap will have an impact on a clubs grading if IMG’s recommendations are accepted.

Cant wait for another condescending reply.👍

7 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I'm not sure how you deduced agreement on that.

My view is that there are a core of 6-8 clubs in SL which derive the majority of the value from the Sky deal. I would purport that Cats and Toulouse attract higher viewing figures than Leigh, which is the key metric.

Anyway, good luck to Leigh next year. Let's hope Derek doesn't spit his dummy out again when things don't go his way

Bla bla bla.

4 hours ago, DoubleD said:

What's the score with Roberts?..........I heard he'd been linked to Leeds but seems an odd pick up if he's not getting regular game time in the Championship. Appreciate he's young still. Do you think he's got potential for SL?

He needs game time and that was limited this year due to the stakes being high but FT training will have done him good, would love to keep him and loan him out as he will struggle for time due to the stakes being even higher in 2023.

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

You guys certainly look well set up to compete next year. Mulhern and Davis should go well for you. 

Being from t'other side o't hill, you most probably don't get The Northwest regional news programme on the BBC, well Mr Beaumont was on that being interviewed and he said in 3 to 5 years the SL title would be residing at the LSV and he looked deadly serious in making that very big statement on a public platform, make of that what you will.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, georgeb1 said:

I like at a lot of folk think you'll go great next season , but for replacements I feel charnley is half the player Kristian Inu is .

Inu will be a big miss, as will Sam Stone. Though the circumstances around their leaving means we’d have had to replace them even if there was no overseas limit in Super League. 

Personally, I’d be picking Keanan Brand over Charnley, he was having a good season on the wing before losing his place to Blake Ferguson. 

Not sure who’ll be kicking goals next season, someone with Inu’s accuracy could make a big difference for us next year. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Inu will be a big miss, as will Sam Stone. Though the circumstances around their leaving means we’d have had to replace them even if there was no overseas limit in Super League. 

Personally, I’d be picking Keanan Brand over Charnley, he was having a good season on the wing before losing his place to Blake Ferguson. 

Not sure who’ll be kicking goals next season, someone with Inu’s accuracy could make a big difference for us next year. 

What are the circumstances around Inu leaving, looks like he’s going to keighly 

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Being from t'other side o't hill, you most probably don't get The Northwest regional news programme on the BBC, well Mr Beaumont was on that being interviewed and he said in 3 to 5 years the SL title would be residing at the LSV and he looked deadly serious in making that very big statement on a public platform, make of that what you will.

Assuming  the SL trophy is really valuable then? Does the LSV have a state-of-the-art safe where they can store it for other clubs?

Joking, obviously: I'd love it if Leigh (or any unfancied team) won.

Edit: damn, misread "title" for "trophy". (Shoot me: would put me out of my misery.)

Edited by Stuff Smith
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Mr Beaumont has a habit of making outlandish statements so you’ll forgive me if I take that with a pinch of salt. They may not even gain a place under IMGs new plans 

9 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Mr Beaumont has a habit of making outlandish statements so you’ll forgive me if I take that with a pinch of salt. They may not even gain a place under IMGs new plans 

He actually said winning a trophy. Expect some WOW announcements over the next few weeks - some may have to wait until after the WC. Leigh are not in it to make up numbers, it will be full cap and Marquees

4 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

He actually said winning a trophy. Expect some WOW announcements over the next few weeks - some may have to wait until after the WC. Leigh are not in it to make up numbers, it will be full cap and Marquees

Leigh won a trophy this year, the Sundeck cup 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColD said:

What are the circumstances around Inu leaving, looks like he’s going to keighly 

I’d heard he was going to a French RU team. But either way, it looks like at 36, SL might be a bit of a stretch for him next year. Though, his performances this year might suggest otherwise to be honest. 

11 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Leigh won a trophy this year, the Sundeck cup 

Think he was looking at CC, SL leaders or GF. Lam/Chester are instrumental to the future, Lam signing a further 2 years is a big statement. Keep an eye out for who we sign and lets see what things look like after the WC, our biggest strength is the spirit and culture in the club - its never been better

32 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Think he was looking at CC, SL leaders or GF. Lam/Chester are instrumental to the future, Lam signing a further 2 years is a big statement. Keep an eye out for who we sign and lets see what things look like after the WC, our biggest strength is the spirit and culture in the club - its never been better

That’s what you get with a winning side. When the chips are down  and you lose a series of games, that’s when you find out the true nature of it 

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

That’s what you get with a winning side. When the chips are down  and you lose a series of games, that’s when you find out the true nature of it 

We've beaten part time teams this year relatively easily , we've seen posters on here suggest we'd have been competitive in SL , but until you actually are out on the pitch facing SL opposition week in week out , nobody actually knows , this year we've had fewer injuries than I can remember in the last 20 odd years , in SL that would probably be different , time will tell only about 16/17 weeks to go 😂

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Davo5 said:

My point being those clubs faced with a cashed up Leigh team will have the difficult decision of whether to spend up to the cap or face the very real threat of demotion & by the looks of things not being able to spend up to the cap will have an impact on a clubs grading if IMG’s recommendations are accepted.

Cant wait for another condescending reply.👍

Condescending reply? Haha, your first post was very condescending towards certain clubs and basically nonsensical as I explained in my previous post.

If I have £200 in my bank account and no overdraft can I go out and buy a new £400 TV? Nope. So apologies for being blunt but implying that a team should now try and spend money they don't have to compete with a team like Leigh with a rich owner who will spend the cap is pretty dumb.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, phiggins said:

I’d heard he was going to a French RU team. But either way, it looks like at 36, SL might be a bit of a stretch for him next year. Though, his performances this year might suggest otherwise to be honest. 

Inu's a brilliant player and I'd have liked him to have stayed at Salford this season (just gone) but rumours during 2021 were that he didn't think his body could hold up to another season of SL which is why he dropped down to the Championship. He won't have lost out financially by the move either so Leigh was a good fit.

France would be a great move for him and maybe a season at Toulouse to finish his career as he'll be 36 in March? Lovely weather, nice lifestyle and a good salary while playing for a team who'll be right up there challenging.

Edited by SalfordSlim
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Just watched the interview again, Mr Beaumont started of by saying, "we are not in it (SL) to compete, we are in it to win it" he then went on to say "next year may be a big ask, but I can promise the Leigh fans in 3 to 5 years we will win summat" OK I held onto his opening statement thinking wow, and you listened more attentively to the last bit, a point to each!