Two Legged Challenge Cup Ties

Jughead

No no no

• Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

14 minutes ago, Jughead said:

First thoughts: no.

Second thoughts: read my first thoughts.

• Haha 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

This feels like the sort of idea you would float to find some common ground between people who can't agree on much else. 

I think we can all agree that the second leg of Wigan v Swinton (first leg 60-4) could conceivably be less attractive than most forms of internal surgery.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Definitely not. It's different in football when there's maybe a 1 or 2 goal deficit after the first leg that can easily be overturned but what if a Super League team puts 70 on a Championship side in the first leg here, who is gonna show up to watch the 2nd leg of that? And are the BBC gonna want to broadcast a pointless, dead rubber game at an empty ground? I also feel like doing this in just one round would seem really half arsed; the first 5 rounds all 1 legged, 6th round 2 legged, quarters, semi, final all 1 legged again. That just seems like a really messy schedule that is designed to irritate people with OCD. Reinvigorate the Challenge Cup? More likely to kill it off completely. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
Spelling
  • Like 2

It compensates for the loss of home games from going to 22 rounds a season.

In fairness, double legged cup games did work well in Unions Heineken Cup last season. That was between teams that are far more even however than the 6th round of the challenge cup.

Edited by Tommygilf

I can envisage a bunch of poorly attended second legs following a convincing win in leg 1. RL games produce too many points for the sport to lend itself to two-legged ties. When we did have them in the years around World War 2 the points tallies were lower so a deficit would be less to turn around. There is little interest in cup games when your team just needs a 1 point win, even fewer people will bother if their team needs to overturn say a 20 point deficit.

This is obviously a short term fix as the aim is that the SL will expand in a few years as we get more A grade clubs so the fixture shortfall will disappear. This plan has ditched after a year written all over it though.

• Like 1

No.  Really poor idea.

Really misunderstands what the cup is and takes the match going fan for granted.

If your team gets thrashed in the first leg away, why would you bother to shell out yer cash for the return game (as it won't be on your season ticket) to see basically a friendly?

Less levelling up, more trickle down. It wouldn't work.

13 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

yuck.

I suspect this is all about trying to guarantee season ticket holders at least one more game after scrapping the loops. 

It won't work.

First mistep. 

It's worth reading the phrasing TBH.

There are some proposals around the Challenge Cup and this is one of them.

There will be others. Just not aired.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Total non starter and again thinking of the smaller Clubs i am more in favour of when the Super League clubs first enter the draw , the Super League Team if drawn at home to a lower league Club , should have to play the game away from home or at least the lower Club should be given the opportunity to host it .

3 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

Total non starter and again thinking of the smaller Clubs i am more in favour of when the Super League clubs first enter the draw , the Super League Team if drawn at home to a lower league Club , should have to play the game away from home or at least the lower Club should be given the opportunity to host it .

Agreed. And domestic football has been moving away from 2-leg cup ties, because it's a rubbish idea.

I'm not keen on the idea of two legged ties full stop. But the worst part of this is that's it's the 6th round, and only the 6th round. You might get 3 or 4 ties where we will go into the second leg with the game genuinely in the balance. The rest are likely to be blowouts with no interest in the second game from either set of fans. Rubbish idea.

If they really wanted to have two legged ties then the only sensible way of doing it as far as I'm concerned is by doing away with neutral venues for the semis and playing them over two legs instead.

11 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

idea. Just get the super league clubs in at the last 32, make them all play away in the last 32 and give us these proper cup games that actually interest fans. Saints took a load to Haven, made for a great tv game. Giants vs Barrow looked good, let´s get them in earlier.  

Plus if we are going Cat B it will give champ clubs a game to market and promote against a bigger club to see if the interest is there. York vs Leeds on BBC , ok York, let´s see what you can do. 

Agreed . Seems a lot simpler 

• Like 1