Two Legged Challenge Cup Ties

Jughead

Just now, Griff said:

Jughead says they are.

The link doesn't say that anybody is proposing anything.

The link says that two legged Cup ties are an idea that is being discussed as part of a whole set of ideas about shaking up the Challenge Cup.

It's no more a proposal than anything else shouted out at the white board.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

They do seem to have made some noise about fewer loop fixtures and more scarcity. I'm not sure scarcity usually leads to a better TV deal, so it'll be interesting to see how they will fill the gap of a few hundred grand from playing fewer games. 

The bit where they talk about raising matchday revenues and other income streams - the part everyone ignored - would probably be that part.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The link doesn't say that anybody is proposing anything.

The link says that two legged Cup ties are an idea that is being discussed as part of a whole set of ideas about shaking up the Challenge Cup.

It's no more a proposal than anything else shouted out at the white board.

Direct quote from the link, attributed to Simon Johnson.

“One of the proposals is that round six, when the Super League teams enter the competition, will be a home and away two-legged fixture to provide a bit more interest and a bit more involvement for clubs with the final taking place in May.”

Edited by Griff

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 minute ago, Griff said:

Direct quote from the link, attributed to Simon Johnson.

“One of the proposals is that round six, when the Super League teams enter the competition, will be a home and away two-legged fixture to provide a bit more interest and a bit more involvement for clubs with the final taking place in May.”

Yes, the important bit in that sentence would be the "one of the" part.

This really isn't difficult to understand.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Keep in mind that 12 clubs are already guaranteed to be in this round - and they are looking (it seems) to get to 14 top-flight clubs soon.

At that stage, there are only going to be two Championship teams even making it to that stage. If they are competitive Championship Grade B clubs like Fev or Halifax or whatever - teams aiming actually to get to Grade A level then they ought to be at least competitive.

It's not like every SL club is going to play a low-level team

TL: DR There wouldn't be that many blowouts.

All SL games have blow outs too. In this years Challenge Cup round 6 there were 3 all SL ties. One had a 24 point margin, another 20 with a 4 point margin being the only close game.

Edited by Damien

13 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The bit where they talk about raising matchday revenues and other income streams - the part everyone ignored - would probably be that part.

We do need those things in any case. Stripping games will leave a bigger gap to fill. Great if that can be done, but it makes the challenge harder to start. 

Getting rid of 5 weeks worth of fixtures for a broadcaster has the potential for creating a very big gap. 

Putting structure and number of games and anything else to one side.

I think 2 legged Rugby League ties are awful.

That is my view, if someone else likes them great but I don't (that last bit is so I don't get someone telling me my opinion is wrong when it is, in fact, an opinion).

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Putting structure and number of games and anything else to one side.

I think 2 legged Rugby League ties are awful.

That is my view, if someone else likes them great but I don't (that last bit is so I don't get someone telling me my opinion is wrong when it is, in fact, an opinion).

They are awful.

They're awful in pretty much any sport.

Cannot stand them.

22 minutes ago, Damien said:

All SL games have blow outs too. In this years Challenge Cup round 6 there were 3 all SL ties. One had a 24 point margin, another 20 with a 4 point margin being the only close game.

Perhaps the team beaten by 20 might have fancied their chances of overcoming that in a second game?

Look, I'm not necessarily favouring this idea, but I think its worth more consideration than some on this thread are giving it.

Teams need more than 11 home games, and this is one way to increase that. 

Edited by paulwalker71

It is just a proposal though, so not set in stone just yet. 

Btw, saw Widnes best Leeds 14-4 in 1980, winning the tie 18-17 on aggregate. Went on to beat Bradford in the Premiership cup final. So I certainly enjoyed those games.

28 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Yes, the important bit in that sentence would be the "one of the" part.

This really isn't difficult to understand.

Exactly. Having more than one proposal doesn't mean they aren't proposals. On the contrary, it means they all are.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

2 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

I know, the point would be that by guaranteeing every team at least one home cup game, they could include it in the season ticket to soften the blow of reducing league fixtures. 

If they did, that's a further blow to income, on top of the loss of 2 home games.

This would be a no from me (have we ever had two legged matches except from the championship play-offs during the war?)

I'm also against Challenge Cup group stages.

I think super league teams should enter the cup a round earlier though. Not only would it give them the extra match they seem to be looking for, but it would come up with some more interesting match ups with 12 SL teams in a round of 32.

2 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

This would be a no from me (have we ever had two legged matches except from the championship play-offs during the war?)

I think super league teams should enter the cup a round earlier though. Not only would it give them the extra match they seem to be looking for, but it would come up with some more interesting match ups with 12 SL teams in a round of 32.

I don’t think SL teams are just looking for extra matches. They obviously want home games to fill the void of no loop fixtures. Extra games in the Cup aren’t guaranteed to be at home.

1 minute ago, Barley Mow said:

Challenge Cup ties were two legged (including finals) during World War 2. The first round was two legged for a few years afterwards.

• Thanks 1

I don't like the idea, and if IMG are flying this kite, they'll be looking at responses on social media like forums and Twitter.

If we absolutely must have 2-legged cup ties at some stage, make it the semi-finals, when the sides involved would be far more closely matched. Even then, it'll lessen the chance of a giant-killing performance, if a smaller club has a good run, so I'd be against that too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Rlsouthyorks said:

What would be a great idea is to have the challenge cup as it is , Then a new handicap cup were lower teams are given a start a bit like the betting coupon system . 

I’ve been an advocate of that idea before. The game’s main sponsor is a bookmaker. They could handicap each match. In theory any team entered into the competition could win it.