England Squad

Is it announced tomorrow? The press are starting to have an opinion: 

I am going with:

Backs

1 Tomkins - 2 Welsby - 3 Makinson - 4 Young - 5 Hall - 6 Percival - 7 Watkins - 8 Farnworth  - 9 Williams - 10 Lomax - 11 Sneyd - 12 Smith

Forwards

13 Burgess - 14 Thompson - 15 Oldezki - 16 Cooper/Lees - 17 Sutton - 18 Ackers - 19 McIllorum - 20 Bateman - 21 Whitehead - 22 Batchelor - 23 Radley - 24 Knowles

BBC reporting that Lomax and Percival out due to injury concerns but Farnworh and Watkins in

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

If Lomax is out, I would definitely have Sneyd in the 13 as he is the best game management half we have.

Have him plus Williams and Smith and then probably Welsby and Tomknis who can both play in the halves if need be.

We have a few options in the spine but centre is starting to look very bare.  Good news if Farworth is fit otherwise we would be in trouble. I just don't see Hardaker as a quality centre but he may be there for utility. 

Will Watkins revert to the centre for the World Cup.  He is safe and in form but is he the attacking threat out wide that he was.

Edited by Dunbar

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

The Lomax situation does frustrate me.

I get that clubs have to look after their players and players are contracted etc etc.

But Lomax has been 'managing' an injury for months that fans of Saints were assured couldn't get worse. He played all the way to the Grand Final and won man of the match.  Now he is out.

As a Rugby League fan, I believe that any success at the world cup is immeasurably more important than Saints getting 4 in a row.

But my priorities are not Saints priorities.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I get that clubs have to look after their players and players are contracted etc etc.

But Lomax has been 'managing' an injury for months that fans of Saints were assured couldn't get worse. He played all the way to the Grand Final and won man of the match.  Now he is out.

As a Rugby League fan, I believe that any success at the world cup is immeasurably more important than Saints getting 4 in a row.

I agree ref Lomax. 

I’d actually be inclined to start Watkins and Farnworth even if Percival was fit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

And Saints’ priorities are not England’s priorities.

They have a long history of players being unavailable for international duty. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

If Lomax is out, I would definitely have Sneyd in the 13 as he is the best game management half we have.

Have him plus Williams and Smith and then probably Welsby and Tomknis who can both play in the halves if need be.

We have a few options in the spine but centre is starting to look very bare.  Good news if Farworth is fit otherwise we would be in trouble. I just don't see Hardaker as a quality centre but he may be there for utility. 

Will Watkins revert to the centre for the World Cup.  He is safe and in form but is he the attacking threat out wide that he was.

Pack and wings I am pretty much  in line with @geordie saint

Matty Smith was a useful player for England in his day. Terrible at thinking outside the box or playing creatively but he could play to a game plan and do the simple things so well, which in international games that can be ultra structured and attritional is quite useful.  If Sneyd can come in and do that role and provide us with a solid kicking game he could be a good addition. He's also a little bit more creative than Smith was, so as long as his defence is solid Sneyd could have something to offer.

With Watkins I'd be a bit wary of picking him as a centre. Isn't it the case that his return to form has pretty much coincided with his move into the back row? If his form wasn't great playing centre but he's now in excellent form as a back rower I can't see how it makes any sense to pick him in the position he was underperforming in.

15 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

cant see us even winning a single game the way its going - worst line up in my living memory - ageing has beens and never will bees - what a state we are in 

A balanced and not at all melodramatic post as usual johnny.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Hell's bells.

10 minutes ago, DavidM said:

We need Welsby in and with Lomax out Samkins could play in the halves . Honestly why he’d pick Mcilorum is beyond me 

I'm not sure I'd pick Tomkins in the halves. But, to be honest, I'm not sure I'd pick him at full-back either.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, DavidM said:

We need Welsby in and with Lomax out Samkins could play in the halves . Honestly why he’d pick Mcilorum is beyond me 

I agree. 

I’d go with Leeming and Clarke at hooker. I appreciate Clarke has been poor but he’s got experience and you don’t lose class.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

cant see us even winning a single game the way its going - worst line up in my living memory - ageing has beens and never will bees - what a state we are in 

Blimey, you're an optimist! 

Surely we'll beat someone.

Mind you, looking at the Greek team line-up, you might be right. 

Regular international matches produce and find out who are at international standard as players. Most of these in the squad are untried as a team, or haven't played together internationally for an age. 

I wonder if the growth of the game international match wise has been discussed by img as a proposal or is a 2 legged challenge cup round  their idea of expanding the game globally and a better solution for the development of international standard players.

Looking at the above squads being selected, the cupboard looks rather bare.

45 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Yes very frustrating . He should turn up for the World Cup then have as much time for rehab as he wants 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, usain bolt said:

Looking at the above squads being selected, the cupboard looks rather bare.

old mother hubbard had more choices than sean wane - we are really gonna pay for the lack of development and investment over the last decade in this wc 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Yes very frustrating . He should turn up for the World Cup then have as much time for rehab as he wants 

never proved at international or nrl level - very overrated sl player wrong side of 28 now- would be eaten alive by munster and cleary -saints will hail him as a legend though - far from it 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Just now, graveyard johnny said:

old mother hubbard had more choices than sean wane - we are really gonna pay for the lack of development and investment over the last decade in this wc 

I hope we're both wrong and England as a team do themselves proud, but the lack of internationals, especially against Australian standard quality has pushed us back I fear. There just doesn't look like any world class superstar players jumping out that we've always had to win us the big games, too many mediocre players at international level 

47 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

You surely can’t be serious. Have you seen the Greek squad? No offence to them but the Knights squad could go out and beat them.