Tomkins, Welsby

Makinson, Hall, Murphy, Young

Herbie, Hardaker, Watkins

Williams, Smith, Sneyd

Leeming, McIlorum

Burgess, Thompson, Oledzski, Sutton

Bateman, Whitehead, Batchelor, McMeeken

Knowles, Radley

Out of these, I wouldn't have McIlorum and Hardaker. I'd have Connor and one of Ackers or Hastings over them.

• Like 1

Just now, graveyard johnny said:

never proved at international or nrl level - very overrated sl player wrong side of 28 now- would be eaten alive by munster and cleary -saints will hail him as a legend though - far from it 

And that's exactly where England are at, lomax does a great job for the saints, but has he ever really been tested, test after test, series after series. To be fair, none of the current squad have, regular internationals against quality opposition find out and test the best. It probably isn't lomaxs fault, he just does his business for the saints anyway 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Welshleaguelover said:

I'm sure it'll be an unpopular opinion on here but might be a blessing in disguise to have no Lomax. He's been fantastic in Super League for a number of years but every time I've seen him play against Australia he just looks like a rabbit in the headlights.

But i guess you can only pick the best you have and he’d be in the best we have squad

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

never proved at international or nrl level - very overrated sl player wrong side of 28 now- would be eaten alive by munster and cleary -saints will hail him as a legend though - far from it 

No one is really tested at internationalevel.

Nathan Cleary has never played an international game and Munster was at 6 when Australia lost to a tier 2 nation for the first time.  They have some way to go before they are legends.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

21 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

My final prediction for how Wane will go:

Tomkins, Welsby

Makinson, Hall, Murphy, Young

Herbie, Hardaker, Watkins

Williams, Smith, Sneyd

Leeming, McIlorum

Burgess, Thompson, Oledzski, Sutton

Bateman, Whitehead, Batchelor, McMeeken

Knowles, Radley

Out of these, I wouldn't have McIlorum and Hardaker. I'd have Connor and one of Ackers or Hastings over them.

I couldn't have Hall or Hardaker but expect at least one of them to make the squad.

Hardaker is unreliable and Hall is way past his sell by date for international rugby.

• Like 4

Wane needs to be on the phone to Roby tonight asking him to pack his boots.

• Like 4

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

1 minute ago, Welshleaguelover said:

I couldn't have Hall or Hardaker but expect at least one of them to make the squad.

Hardaker is unreliable and Hall is way past his sell by date for international rugby.

Yeah, neither of them should be there. I think the Percival news makes it pretty likely that Zak will come back in - covering FB and centre.

3 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

Wane needs to be on the phone to Roby tonight asking him to pack his boots.

Roby isn't up to it, mate. Unbelievable career and still a top player but he is not there physically anymore.

H played for GB the last time we beat Australia. That's 16 years ago.

It's an indictment on our game that the likes of Peacock and Roby can still be top players in our competition in their late 30s.

Gareth Ellis being able to come out of retirement and hold his own was a joke too.

Wonderful players in their prime but worrying that we're not replacing them.

• Like 1

Just now, Davo5 said:

You forgot the capital J.

If he ain't doing it, I'm not.

I am probably overly fussy about writing with punctuation and grammar on here... and even text messages etc. but from now on johnny has a lower case j.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Welshleaguelover said:

Roby isn't up to it, mate. Unbelievable career and still a top player but he is not there physically anymore.

H played for GB the last time we beat Australia. That's 16 years ago.

It's an indictment on our game that the likes of Peacock and Roby can still be top players in our competition in their late 30s.

Gareth Ellis being able to come out of retirement and hold his own was a joke too.

Wonderful players in their prime but worrying that we're not replacing them.

He's by far the best hooker in SL. Would have been virtually the first name on the team sheet, if he wanted to come back into the fold.

I mean, I get what you're saying about aging players going on and not being replaced - and agree in general. He showed though in the GF with his passing from dummy half that he's still an elite player.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

If he ain't doing it, I'm not.

I am probably overly fussy about writing with punctuation and grammar on here... and even text messages etc. but from now on johnny has a lower case j.

But … capital B 

6/10 must try harder

21 minutes ago, Welshleaguelover said:

I'm sure it'll be an unpopular opinion on here but might be a blessing in disguise to have no Lomax. He's been fantastic in Super League for a number of years but every time I've seen him play against Australia he just looks like a rabbit in the headlights.

Let's hope some of the less experienced youngsters aren't caught in the headlights, having not experienced international level rugby league regularly at the highest level, never mind playing in a world cup on home soil.

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

But … capital B 

6/10 must try harder

Will do david.

Just now, StandOffHalf said:

He's by far the best hooker in SL. Would have been virtually the first name on the team sheet, if he wanted to come back into the fold.

I mean, I get what you're saying about aging players going on and not being replaced - and agree in general. He showed though in the GF with his passing from dummy half that he's still an elite player.

My point is more that England need to be picking a side to beat the Aussies, Kiwis and the Pacific Islanders.

We (and I cringe at saying "we" because I'm not English but support the England team) need to get the players on the park that are in their physical primes.

Lomax can be the best halfback in super league, Percival can be the centre. It doesn't matter to me.

Percival wasn't picked by Bennett because he is/was poor defensively. Not just on the goal line but in general play. That's why gypsy John played there in the last world cup.

Lomax looked like he was playing a different sport to the Aussies in 2017. As did Kevin Brown and Luke Gale.

With Sneyd and Smith, you can trust them their goal kicking. Give me that.

I'm bordering on a full on rant so I'll stop.

• Like 1

Just now, Davo5 said:

Team for first game V Samoa.

1.Welsby 2.Makinson 3.Farnworth 4.Watkins 5.Young 6.Tomkins 7.Sneyd 8.Oledzki 9.Leeming 10.Thompson 11.Radley 12.Whitehead 13 Knowles

14.Burgess 15.Batchelor 16.McMeekin 17.Lewis

I've a feeling mcillorum will start with leeming off the bench, wane likes his no nonsense tough customers, and looking at that pack you've selected it's full of them