England Squad

3 minutes ago, usain bolt said:

Just a thought, are we a stronger squad now or was it stronger in 2017, away from home in Australia, where we were inches from levelling up the scoreline at 6 nil down when Kallum Watkins was ankle tapped by Dugan in the final.

I guess only time will tell 

If we had a fit Harry Newman to partner Farnworh in the centres, Lomax at 6 and Walmsley in the pack, I would have us as stronger than 2017.

Now, probably not a lot in it.

But I think New Zealand, Samoa and Tonga are all stronger than 2017.

Australia is a funny one as they have lost some greats in Cronk, Slater, Smith and Cordner.... but they are always strong.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, Welshleaguelover said:

My point is more that England need to be picking a side to beat the Aussies, Kiwis and the Pacific Islanders.

We (and I cringe at saying "we" because I'm not English but support the England team) need to get the players on the park that are in their physical primes.

Lomax can be the best halfback in super league, Percival can be the centre. It doesn't matter to me.

Percival wasn't picked by Bennett because he is/was poor defensively. Not just on the goal line but in general play. That's why gypsy John played there in the last world cup.

Lomax looked like he was playing a different sport to the Aussies in 2017. As did Kevin Brown and Luke Gale.

With Sneyd and Smith, you can trust them their goal kicking. Give me that.

I'm bordering on a full on rant so I'll stop.

With all due respect, you/England aren't going to beat Oz by kicking penalties.

I fear that Wane's team will be padded out with OAPs like Hall, Hill and Hardaker - when it would be better to go with the promise of comparative youth (Murphy, Lewis, Ackers, etc.).

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

If we had a fit Harry Newman to partner Farnworh in the centres, Lomax at 6 and Walmsley in the pack, I would have us as stronger than 2017.

Now, probably not a lot in it.

But I think New Zealand, Samoa and Tonga are all stronger than 2017.

Australia is a funny one as they have lost some greats in Cronk, Slater, Smith and Cordner.... but they are always strong.

Had a top Burgess, Graham and Hodgson in 2017.

Add that to an in form Widdop, Watkins and Jerry Mac.

England are definitely weaker for me. Australia are definitely weaker too. NZ are stronger, Samoa are a lot stronger and Tonga are similar to what they were.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

With all due respect, you/England aren't going to beat Oz by kicking penalties.

I fear that Wane's team will be padded out with OAPs like Hall, Hill and Hardaker - when it would be better to go with the promise of comparative youth (Murphy, Lewis, Ackers, etc.).

Murphy and Lewis aren't ready.

Ackers isn't exactly a youngster. He's been around for a while now. I'd have in the squad.

If Wane picks all three of Hall, Hill and Hardaker then he's gonna be out of a job.

10 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Team for first game V Samoa.

1.Welsby 2.Makinson 3.Farnworth 4.Watkins 5.Young 6.Tomkins 7.Sneyd 8.Oledzki 9.Leeming 10.Thompson 11.Radley 12.Whitehead 13 Knowles

14.Burgess 15.Batchelor 16.McMeekin 17.Lewis

What that halves pairing lacks is speed. Tomkins and Sneyd both offer a kicking option, but I'd really hope to see a balance of control and speed in the halves from Wane - whether from Williams or Lewis starting at #7 alongside one of Tomkins or Sneyd.

Radley really isn't a second-row IMO. Neither is Knowles for that matter, but I think it's the latter who might be shifted to make place for the Roosters hard-man. I hope not because there are enough quality options in whoever Wane picks - Batchelor, McMeeken, KPP, etc.

13 minutes ago, usain bolt said:

I've a feeling mcillorum will start with leeming off the bench, wane likes his no nonsense tough customers, and looking at that pack you've selected it's full of them 

Your probably right but I wouldn’t have him anywhere near an England shirt.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Welshleaguelover said:

Murphy and Lewis aren't ready.

Ackers isn't exactly a youngster. He's been around for a while now. I'd have in the squad.

If Wane picks all three of Hall, Hill and Hardaker then he's gonna be out of a job.

I disagree on Murphy and Lewis. They'd settle like a duck to water against Greece and France.

Hall is 100% certain, Hardaker will probably be there given decimation to centres and Connor out in the wilderness, Hill is there or thereabouts with lads like Sutton and Cooper. I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest to come on here tomorrow and see all three in the final 24, hehe...

Edited by StandOffHalf

2 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Your probably right but I wouldn’t have him anywhere near an England shirt.

Me neither to be honest, I just don't think he's at international standard. There's no zip from him at 9, but I think wane will go for, in his eyes, the safe option of who he knows

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

What that halves pairing lacks is speed. Tomkins and Sneyd both offer a kicking option, but I'd really hope to see a balance of control and speed in the halves from Wane - whether from Williams or Lewis starting at #7 alongside one of Tomkins or Sneyd.

Radley really isn't a second-row IMO. Neither is Knowles for that matter, but I think it's the latter who might be shifted to make place for the Roosters hard-man. I hope not because there are enough quality options in whoever Wane picks - Batchelor, McMeeken, KPP, etc.

It’s Samoa,we need to force them to start their sets from deep inside their own half,both Tomkins & Sneyd can do that & hopefully it will fatigue them allowing Lewis to take advantage when he comes on,Radley in the backrow will stiffen up our edge defence,Samoans aren’t usually renowned for sidestepping.

Anyways it’s just a bit of fun.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

I disagree on Murphy and Lewis. They'd settle like a duck to water against Greece and France.

Hall is 100% certain, Hardaker will probably be there given decimation to centres and Connor out in the wilderness, Hill is there or thereabouts with lads like Sutton and Cooper. I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest to come on here tomorrow and see all three in the final 24, hehe...

You think Hall is certain? Jesus, I hope not.

But again on Murphy and Lewis. I'm sure they could tear Greece and France apart... But wouldn't want them playing against the likes of Samoa, Tonga, Australia or NZ just yet. They're not ready.

And yeah, if all three are in then it will convince me that England are gonna fail.

Mikey Lewis is in the Knights squad and (barring Bateman to run down his ban) I don't think any of the England squad will be in the Knights.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Welshleaguelover said:

Maybe a chance few players have been named in the knights to get them a game under their belts if they haven't played since the end of the regular season?

So which of the Knights do you expect to be in the England squad?

31 minutes ago, Welshleaguelover said:

Had a top Burgess, Graham and Hodgson in 2017.

Add that to an in form Widdop, Watkins and Jerry Mac.

England are definitely weaker for me. Australia are definitely weaker too. NZ are stronger, Samoa are a lot stronger and Tonga are similar to what they were.

From your first sentence replace Hodgson with Roby and you have a point - add in lockers and your 100% correct.

18 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

It’s Samoa,we need to force them to start their sets from deep inside their own half,both Tomkins & Sneyd can do that & hopefully it will fatigue them allowing Lewis to take advantage when he comes on,Radley in the backrow will stiffen up our edge defence,Samoans aren’t usually renowned for sidestepping.

Anyways it’s just a bit of fun.

The backline for them will have some pretty slick moves, heehee. 

I do like the idea of throwing on speed later in the contest.

17 minutes ago, Welshleaguelover said:

You think Hall is certain? Jesus, I hope not.

But again on Murphy and Lewis. I'm sure they could tear Greece and France apart... But wouldn't want them playing against the likes of Samoa, Tonga, Australia or NZ just yet. They're not ready.

And yeah, if all three are in then it will convince me that England are gonna fail.

A squad is a mixture of youth and experience, heehee. I think Mr. Wane might err a little more towards the latter. We shall soon see.

I understand the clamour for Lewis as he is an exciting half who can do things others can’t but he’s also extremely erratic and that’s at SL level. I appreciate you don’t know how players will stand up until they are in a big game but it’s a huge risk. Sneyd and Williams are safer bets.

I still can’t believe that days after picking up the MOM Harry Sunderland award that Lomax has now ducked out the World Cup, what will likely be his last

Edited by DoubleD

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

If Lomax is out, I would definitely have Sneyd in the 13 as he is the best game management half we have.

Have him plus Williams and Smith and then probably Welsby and Tomknis who can both play in the halves if need be.

We have a few options in the spine but centre is starting to look very bare.  Good news if Farworth is fit otherwise we would be in trouble. I just don't see Hardaker as a quality centre but he may be there for utility. 

Will Watkins revert to the centre for the World Cup.  He is safe and in form but is he the attacking threat out wide that he was.

Watkins been class this season, maybe not quite as quick but so skilled and in great form. We need his expertise…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Welshleaguelover said:

I have no expectations. Rugby League continues to shock me.

I'd have had Smithies in the England squad.

But the fact he's in the knights makes me think he isn't.

Who knows though? 

Smithies is an awesome prospect who looks like a player who'll step up and impress on the big stage.

I love him. I think he's going to be an international and a good one at that. However, he's clearly behind Knowles and Radley. He was never really in the mix for the 24.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Welshleaguelover said:

I have no expectations. Rugby League continues to shock me.

I'd have had Smithies in the England squad.

But the fact he's in the knights makes me think he isn't.

Who knows though? 

Well, who knows.  But I would be very surprised. 

Since the Knights came into existence, an England squad and a Knights squad has been named and players are in one or the other.

The only exception I can think of is Bateman on a technicality. 

• Like 1