England Squad

Just now, SydneyRoosters said:

He’s experience could be well needed in the later stages of tournament. I think Marshall deserves it more but I don’t hate the selection, also if he starts every game he will become Englands most capped player.

Experience of what? Knowing the team song? The seating plan for the coach? 

He should be no where near the team in my view. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, Barley Mow said:

From this squad, I think I'd be looking at something like this:

1    Sam Tomkins (Catalans Dragons) - Captain
2    Tommy Makinson (St Helens)
3    Kallum Watkins (Salford Red Devils)
4    Herbie Farnworth (Brisbane Broncos)
5    Dom Young (Newcastle Knights) 
6    Marc Sneyd (Salford Red Devils)
7    George Williams (Warrington Wolves)
8    Tom Burgess (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
9    Victor Radley (Sydney Roosters)
10    Mikolaj Oledzki (Leeds Rhinos)
11    John Bateman (Wigan Warriors)
12    Elliott Whitehead (Canberra Raiders)
13    Morgan Knowles (St Helens)

14    Jack Welsby (St Helens)
15    Luke Thompson (Canterbury Bulldogs)
16    Andy Ackers (Salford Red Devils)
17    Chris Hill (Huddersfield Giants)

I dont think a bench can carry a 9 and a utility.

Structurally, it could as it'd be less weight, but metaphorically speaking. If anything, i want the bench to be straining...

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

I worry looking at that squad that Watkins is earmarked for centre . He wasn’t a threat at this level 5 years ago I don’t see that changing now . Second row now ok , but I’d be concerned by that with what we’re up against . Not long ago we were saying finally how strong our centres were … different now . Thank god herbie is fit is all i can say 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 2

I think it’s a weak squad with many players in who are third or fourth option, in some cases. I won’t go down the rabbit hole or why players are injured, I think it’s been done to death elsewhere. 

Ultimately, it’s a squad that will get out of the group, it’s not what I think a World Cup winning squad looks like. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

I dont think a bench can carry a 9 and a utility.

Structurally, it could as it'd be less weight, but metaphorically speaking. If anything, i want the bench to be straining...

You could be right.

My thinking was that Watkins has been playing well at 2nd row all year, so Welsby could come on for 11 or 12 with Watkins moving across - Welsby covering 1 to 7 plus 11 and 12.

Radley isn't a regular 9, so would want a regular hooker too -  with Radley/Knowles/Ackers doing 9 and 13 in spells between them - I could always swap Ackers and Radley just to beef up the bench a little!

Edited by Barley Mow

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I worry looking at that squad that Watkins is earmarked for centre . He wasn’t a threat at this level 5 years ago I don’t see that changing now . Second row now ok , but I’d be concerned by that with what we’re up against . Not long ago we were saying finally how strong our centres were … different now . Thank god herbie is fit is all i can say 

Based on that squad, he must have Watkins down at centre.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

I think your being a bit over dramatic. It will be a interesting squad but quite like some of the inclusions. It has a good mix of youth and experience and I have a massive feeling all English fans will be praising Wane on his squad selection in a months time.

So you don’t think 34yr olds Hill,Cooper,Hall & Mclloram are over the hill plodders then or Williams has been horrendously out of form for 18 months.

This is 2022, the game has moved on,it’s never been as fast,those 4 will be totally out of their depth physically.

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Experience of what? Knowing the team song? The seating plan for the coach? 

He should be no where near the team in my view. 

My heart sank when I saw Ryan Hall`s name on that team list, christ is that the best you`ve got. I can only imagine the rings that the other team`s wingers will run around him. And is that the same Chris Hill who has been around forever, bloody hell. 

Edited by The Rocket
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, DavidM said:

He’s no Sarginson/Lyne

• Haha 2

I was worried before I saw the squad and I'm worried now. The backline is very average and they will all be playing together for the first time.

I don't think Wane has necessarily picked the wrong squad but it has been decimated by players dropping out of form and injuries. Fingers crossed eh.

• Like 6

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

7 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

So you don’t think 34yr olds Hill,Cooper,Hall & Mclloram

Very safe ‘ I know these players ‘ picks but that won’t get us very far . I think we had to be bolder even if it meant younger and less experienced . 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

He’s no Sarginson/Lyne

Deon Cross would have been a better option . Matty Ashton , Murphy from Wakefield  lads like this who can do something would be better than Hall for me if it’s just back up in a squad 

• Like 4

In fairness Shaun has picked what is available and thats pretty much it.

2nd in the group

Out in the Qtr or Semis 

Final very much doubt it.

At least if we get to the semis it keeps the interest going, the Final should be a classic whoever gets there (Even better if its not Australia LOL:)

Paul

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Very safe ‘ I know these players ‘ picks but that won’t get us very far . I think we had to be bolder even if it meant younger and less experienced . 

I wouldn’t even call them safe,too old & slow for the pace of todays game,they’ll be found out by the good sides.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

England Men's World Cup squad:

Sam Tomkins (Catalans Dragons) - Captain

Andy Ackers (Salford Red Devils)

Joe Batchelor (St Helens)

John Bateman (Wigan Warriors)

Tom Burgess (South Sydney Rabbitohs)

Mike Cooper (Wigan Warriors)

Herbie Farnworth (Brisbane Broncos)

Ryan Hall (Hull KR)

Chris Hill (Huddersfield Giants)

Morgan Knowles (St Helens)

Matty Lees (St Helens)

Tommy Makinson (St Helens)

Michael McIlorum (Catalans Dragons)

Mike McMeeken (Catalans Dragons)

Mikolaj Oledzki (Leeds Rhinos)

Kai Pearce-Paul (Wigan Warriors)

Victor Radley (Sydney Roosters)

Marc Sneyd (Salford Red Devils)

Luke Thompson (Canterbury Bulldogs)

Kallum Watkins (Salford Red Devils)

Jack Welsby (St Helens)

Elliott Whitehead (Canberra Raiders)

George Williams (Warrington Wolves)

Dom Young (Newcastle Knights) 

Disappointed by some of the older players selected.

Is the talent pool so shallow that we have to dig up players that did not beat the Aussies when they were in their prime?

Not enough pace across the backs to score the amount of points needed or be able to run down attacking opposition against the big teams to win the World Cup.

I hope this is not going to be like the last Great Britain tour...

16 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

So you don’t think 34yr olds Hill,Cooper,Hall & Mclloram are over the hill plodders then or Williams has been horrendously out of form for 18 months.

This is 2022, the game has moved on,it’s never been as fast,those 4 will be totally out of their depth physically.

No I do agree that have been on poor form. I don’t agree with selection of Ryan hall but I don’t think it’s the end of the world.

For Hill and Cooper I don’t really think they had any other choice because apparently Sutton was out. With McLlorum I would have rathered Leeming but I don’t think it will make an impact as most of those guys will get little to no game time.

Its definitely not a full strength England team but I don’t hate it and I still think they could do great things at this World Cup.

17 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I was worried before I saw the squad and I'm worried now. The backline is very average and they will all be playing together for the first time.

I don't think Wane has necessarily picked the wrong squad but it has been decimated by players dropping out of form and injuries. Fingers crossed eh.

Yeah I agree it’s the best squad available so I don’t know what people are arguing about. It’s still a great team and could do special things.

3 minutes ago, Jonty58 said:

Disappointed by some of the older players selected.

Is the talent pool so shallow that we have to dig up players that did not beat the Aussies when they were in their prime?

Not enough pace across the backs to score the amount of points needed or be able to run down attacking opposition against the big teams to win the World Cup.

I hope this is not going to be like the last Great Britain tour...

No the talent pool isn’t small but half of squad is out injured. Super league has to make the season shorter those doesn’t continue to happen.

So, I think realistically, he has gone with the following options

Full back: Tomkins, Welsby

Wing: Hall, Young,  Makinson

Centre: Farnworth, Pearce-Paul, Watkins

Half backs: Sneyd, Williams

Middle: Hill, Thompson, Burgess, Oledski, Lees, Cooper, Knowles, Radley

Edge: Whitehead, Bateman, McMeeken, Batchelor

Hooker: McIloram, Ackers

The variables here being that Tomkins or Welsby could shift into the halves and Radley into 9.

It feels like one prop too many and light an outside back.  I suppose that Bateman could cover the centre if necessary but we have been there before and you could argue that Pearce-Paul and Watkins are forwards anyway.

No doubt in my mind he has gone for size in the centre to counter what we will see from Samoa and Tonga.  Time will tell if it pays off.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

44 minutes ago, Damien said:

Some older players that I wouldn't have picked but its good to see the likes of Sneyd, Welsby, Batchelor, Farnworth and Young in there. At least he has picked the young and in form players that many have been calling for.

Sneyd is nearly 32!! Are we really that bad for halves when Lomax is out? I have a feeling we will run with Williams and Welsby in the big games

13 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

So, I think realistically, he has gone with the following options

Full back: Tomkins, Welsby

Wing: Hall, Young,  Makinson

Centre: Farnworth, Pearce-Paul, Watkins

Half backs: Sneyd, Williams

Middle: Hill, Thompson, Burgess, Oledski, Lees, Cooper, Knowles, Radley

Edge: Whitehead, Bateman, McMeeken, Batchelor

Hooker: McIloram, Ackers

The variables here being that Tomkins or Welsby could shift into the halves and Radley into 9.

It feels like one prop too many and light an outside back.  I suppose that Bateman could cover the centre if necessary but we have been there before and you could argue that Pearce-Paul and Watkins are forwards anyway.

No doubt in my mind he has gone for size in the centre to counter what we will see from Samoa and Tonga.  Time will tell if it pays off.

It’s a little bit back to type with strong forward options and much less strong options behind the scrum . Walmsley out is a big blow but it’s more recoverable than guys like TJ , Newman , Percival , Lomax . We do look worryingly light now compared to other sides 1-7 .Hes gone size and experience with what’s left , I worry that’ll do but we’ll see . I’m less optimistic overall now than previously 

Edited by DavidM

8 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Sneyd is nearly 32!! Are we really that bad for halves when Lomax is out? I have a feeling we will run with Williams and Welsby in the big games

I know, I never said otherwise. He is in form though and has a great kicking game.

Englands List of Unavailable players-

Gareth Widdop

James Roby

Jermaine McGilvary

Ryan Sutton

Alex Walmlsey

Harry Newman

Jonny Lomax

Mark Percival

Josh Hodgson

Tom Johnstone

Liam Farrell

Wane has to been shown some symptothy practically half of the starting 17 is out. A lot of those injuries could have been prevented too. It just goes to show why the super league should shorten the season. Correct me if I’m wrong but some players this season have played 35+ games its simply way to much for a human body to handle.

• Like 2

I think that stands a reasonable chance of success. I think that Williams is well suited to internationals, in the same way as he was the NRL, in that he will defend well and do 1/2 decent attacking things each game. I don’t see the fuss about Welsby as a creative player (as opposed to an off the cuff disruptor, and a force of nature which combination makes him indispensable) but we have few options. I think we have to find a place for KPP, as his offload game gives us another point of attack. Radley plaything at 13 for us is huge. 

So…

Tomkins - Makinson - KPP - Farnworth - Young - Williams - Welsby 

Thompson - Ackers - Burgess - Bateman - Knowles - Radley 

Whitehead - Oledski - Hill - Batchelor 

Which I think could become a really strong side. 

• Like 4