England Squad

15 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

To be honest, I am delighted that we have picked a half back based on the strength of his kicking game and organisation.

When i saw Sneyd's name, all i could think of is Dunbar whooping with joy, running into the garden and knee sliding into pond. Soddened on his return, kissing the wife, semi-erotically, undressing to his pants only to disappoint said wife and come on here with a freshly made old fashioned.

*I have never met Dunbar, and do not have a mental image of what Dunbar looks like. 

Edited by MattSantos
  • Haha 4

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

26 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

When i saw Sneyd's name, all i could think of is Dunbar whooping with joy, running into the garden and knee sliding into pond. Soddened on his return, kissing the wife, semi-erotically, undressing to his pants only to disappoint said wife and come on here with a freshly made old fashioned.

*I have never met Dunbar, and do not have a mental image of what Dunbar looks like. 

Looks like I may over share on here.

I don't know whether to be flattered or utterly utterly terrified!

Edited by Dunbar

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

It should be the best two teams seeded to meet in the final, and that should have been done on the teams strength not some silly world rankings when teams have not been playing, the winners of the comp will be the winners of the semi between NZ and Aus a game that should have graced the final.

How do you judge a teams strength,when there has been virtually no international RL for 3 yrs ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moove said:

I don't think you understand the meaning of the word 'majority'. Saints have five in the squad. Who are the other six Saints players who are fit and should be playing on top of that?

Ok if you wish to be pedantic, I will happily assist - at least 6/7 players are opting not to play in the World Cup for one reason or another - Lomax, Grace, Dodd, Walmsley, Percival, Roby, and Mata'utia

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

You are in desperate need of a HIA pal.

There’s a reason Watkins no longer plays at centre at club level, yet it seems like he will do at a World Cup 🤷🏼‍♂️.

Even with all the backs that won’t be there is it isn’t quite as weak as could have been in the past. The worry for me is Wanes rigid style of play as I don’t think it will be enough to beat the really top teams.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

How do you judge a teams strength,when there has been virtually no international RL for 3 yrs ?

So by what manner have NZ and Aus been scheduled to meet in the semi, to me it is obvious it has been designed to give the hosts the best possible chance of reaching their the final!

We do what you have done Dav assumeto seed them assume, who is the best team taking the field.

Would you bet against either Aus or NZ lifting the trophy

6 minutes ago, Hammerless Nail said:

Ryan Hall, Chris Hill, Mike Cooper, Mickey McIlorum, Kallum Watkins in the centre rather than second row... It's like Golden Gordon getting the Barnstoneworth team back together.

Shame he didn't pick Luke Gale so he could replicate the scene where the centre forward rips his wig off just before kick off.

Could also get Chris Hill to grow back his comb over, take of his skull cap and have his hair blowing in the wind Bobby Charlton style.

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So by what manner have NZ and Aus been scheduled to meet in the semi, to me it is obvious it has been designed to give the hosts the best possible chance of reaching their the final!

We do what you have done Dav assumeto seed them assume, who is the best team taking the field.

Would you bet against either Aus or NZ lifting the trophy

Assumptions based on what ? Australia haven’t played a Test Match for 3 yrs,in fact they’ve only played 4 Tests since the last World Cup,losing 2 of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

I agree. In fairness to Wane, a 24-man squad for up to six games is pretty challenging and affords little luxury, but the squad doesn't seem to have a lot of utility players.

Welsby is the utility really, covers FB, centre and stand off. So in essence you have 1 extra option in each of those positions.

• Like 5

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Bit hit and miss for me, pleased for Hill, he may be knocking on but he's been outstsnding for us this year on and off the pitch, Ackers is a good shout but unless we're planning on playing with 12 men at some point i wouldn't have had McIlorum in there, Leeming for me.

Weird one with Hall and Watkins as i would presume we have better options unless they are picked for strength only, would have liked to have seen someone like Matty Ashton, someone with some proper pace in there too, yes Dom Young offers that too but i don't think you can ever have too much.

Surprised at Cooper too unless, again it's an off field pick as i haven't really seen him rip up trees for Wigan.

Also, Jake Connor won't play for England while Wane is in charge, i think that's pretty obvious now.

Anyway thats our squad so let's get behind the lads representing our country!!!

• Like 6

Pleased for Ackers and Sneyd think both have earned their place this year whoever was available. I would’ve gone with Ormondroyd over Cooper and virtually anyone over Micky Mc. Fans on here don’t rate him but I think Percival is a big miss so much so it’s almost certain we will be playing a second row in the centres again. Also I think the make up of the squad tells me Welsby isn’t getting a start and is being picked as cover for a number of positions. Which is a shame as I think Tomkins time as an effective fullback has gone. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hammerless Nail said:

Ryan Hall, Chris Hill, Mike Cooper, Mickey McIlorum, Kallum Watkins in the centre rather than second row... It's like Golden Gordon getting the Barnstoneworth team back together.

Shame he didn't pick Luke Gale so he could replicate the scene where the centre forward rips his wig off just before kick off.

We can run out to pathe news music and cut to pictures of lads in the crowd waving their rattles . Then the attendance at our games will be read out at 98,576 

• Haha 2

visions of Tomkins limping off dejectedly with his hang dog expression while his team mates are assembled under the sticks again - the sobering disappointment already for me after this squad announcement - we wont get to see a match v Australia 

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

It's very difficult to see this squad being capable of winning the trophy, but Hall/Burgess aside, there's not much to argue about, especially if we assume that Connor was never going to get a look in.

Very pleased to see Ackers get some recognition, but all told, with a lack of choice right across the back line, the forwards are going to have to win it for us. Seems to be ever thus.

11 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

visions of Tomkins limping off dejectedly with his hang dog expression while his team mates are assembled under the sticks again - the sobering disappointment already for me after this squad announcement - we wont get to see a match v Australia 

Jeez your depressing johnny.  I want to be excited before the comp and disappointed after.... not depressed all year round.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Jeez your depressing johnny.  I want to be excited before the comp and disappointed after.... not depressed all year round.

am going to see Morrissey tonite - can't wait 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

26 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Reminds me of that 1st half at Elland Road when it was about 300 nil. I can still see Civoniceva's massive back waiting for us to kick off again. Crikey that was depressing.

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas