England Squad

5 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Think there's a decent chance Sutton may have quietly withdrawn from the squad. His missus gave birth (slightly premature) to their twins a couple of days ago, so I reckon he'd have been hard pushed to feel comfortable about leaving them so soon after. 

why? is he a midwife in his spare time? 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

Welsby is the utility really, covers FB, centre and stand off. So in essence you have 1 extra option in each of those positions.

Fair enough although I would have Welsby at halfback with Sneyd or Williams (I actually don't mind which, both have their pros and cons).

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

My initial thoughts were that this is the weakest England squad I've ever seen. I've read this thread and tried taking some positives but I think we will be beaten comfortably by Samoa and then go out in the QF.

Clearly Wane has gone for a no deckhead policy which is fine and he should be able to get a good camp going but that squad is severely lacking quality. There's blokes in there who were nowhere near the England squad in their prime and now they're walk up starters. It's a bit sad really.

If certain players can rediscover form then the pack might carry us to a win in the knock-outs but it's SF at best. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

18 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

There's blokes in there who were nowhere near the England squad in their prime and now they're walk up starters.

I am interested in who you put in this category.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

15 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I am interested in who you put in this category.

Sneyd and McIllorum are the obvious ones. Cooper probably falls into this category too.

• Like 1

3736-mipm.gif

Looking at this squad, I'm not hugely optimistic.

Things I'll moan about when things go awry (and we've done them previously):

• Playing forwards in the centres (or at stand-off);
  • Placing a higher value on a player and automatically picking him for the national team because he plays in the NRL.

I may not be justified in moaning about either of these things, but that's not going to stop me.

Edited by Stuff Smith
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Sneyd and McIllorum are the obvious ones. Cooper probably falls into this category too.

Agree about McIlorum.

Cooper I am hoping will not be a walk up starter with Burgess and Thompson available who weren't there for the midweek game.

I don't think Sneyd is past his prime.  I think he is playing as well as he has ever done.

Not trying to be too argumentative.  I agree with a couple as I say but that should be balanced with very good young talents like Farnworth and Welsby getting a chance to prove themselves internationally.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Stuff Smith said:

Looking at this squad, I'm not hugely optimistic.

Things I'll moan about when things go awry (and we've done them previously):

• Playing forwards in the centres (or at stand-off);
  • Placing a higher value on a player and automatically picking him for the national team because he plays in the NRL.

I may not be justified in moaning about either of these things, but that's not going to stop me.

Well, Hezekiah, at least you are honest.

6 minutes ago, Stuff Smith said:

Placing a higher value on a player and automatically picking him for the national team because he plays in the NRL.

Again, in the spirit of discussion and not argument.   Who do you think from the NRL contingent shouldn't be there and who would you have in their place?

Just now, Chris22 said:

How's Dom Young gone in the NRL? I saw him a couple of times in the UK and he didn't look particularly impressive (he was only very young at the time though).

Improved as he has become more confident.  Certainly one of the best for the Knights this year.

Good

His strength is his carries from the back and phenomenal pace.  He breaks a lot of tackles and also wins penalties as the defence try to stop a quick play the ball.

Bad

Surprisingly for his height, he can be a weak link under a high ball.

Doesn't stick some tackles as much as you would like but again improved in the year.

(Someone will pop up in a second to say that his positioning is questionable as that is always the go to criticism of a winger you want to trash). 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

I'd be fuming if I was Kruise Leeming and McIlorum got in.

This was a player who was past it 5 years ago

If Leeming improved his distribution he could be a top quality 9.  As it is, it is a poor part of his game and I thinks this is what has let him down on selection here.

I think Hastings and Leeming are the two who are very unlucky to miss out.

I've seen stronger squads but a lot is beyond Wane's control. McIlorum's selection is the eyebrow raising one for me.

I think Marshall or Burgess could have been preferred to Hall, but get why Wane went the other way.

Can see a semi final for that squad but think a final could be a step too far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

My initial thoughts were that this is the weakest England squad I've ever seen. I've read this thread and tried taking some positives but I think we will be beaten comfortably by Samoa and then go out in the QF.

Clearly Wane has gone for a no deckhead policy which is fine and he should be able to get a good camp going but that squad is severely lacking quality. There's blokes in there who were nowhere near the England squad in their prime and now they're walk up starters. It's a bit sad really.

If certain players can rediscover form then the pack might carry us to a win in the knock-outs but it's SF at best. 

That's the spirt - get behind the team!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

McIlorum has played 5 times for England and was in the 2013 World Cup squad so obviously he did get in the England team, never mind near it, in his prime.

10 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Yes this must be how Mcilorum has got in 

Take your point but I imagine McIllorum is actually a pretty good person to have in the squad. Seems like a really strong competitor who'll drive standards and buy into the group ethos. I don't think he's an England level player but here we are.

• Like 1

3736-mipm.gif

In my view, it's probably as good as it gets, given the absence of three key players from Saints. I'd like to think those guys currently playing in the  NRL will bring some level of understanding of the motivation, stamina, discipline etc needed. 

Not entirely convinced by Bateman, though, as I think he has work to do to regain his best form.

Good to see some new names in the squad too. 

Overall, if Wane can't make this work, no one can, though I do have concerns over discipline.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

McIlorum has played 5 times for England and was in the 2013 World Cup squad so obviously he did get in the England team, never mind near it, in his prime.

Can you honestly say when everyone has been available, McIllorum has been one of the best two 9's available to England? Plenty of players get a game due to injury etc but he's now apparently our best 9 at the back end of his career. It's pretty depressing to be honest.

• Like 4

3736-mipm.gif

13 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

That's the spirt - get behind the team!

I am, I'm flying from the US to watch games but I'm just being realistic. Really hope I'm proven wrong!

Edited by Tex Evans Thigh
  • Like 2

3736-mipm.gif

6 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Full back: Tomkins, Welsby

Wing:  Young,  Makinson , Burgess

Centre: Farnworth, Connor , KPP

Half backs: Sneyd, Williams , Hastings 

Middle: Hill, Thompson, Burgess, Oledski, Lees, Knowles, Radley

Edge: Whitehead, Bateman, Watkins , Batchelor

Hooker: Clark , Ackers

I made 4 changes so 20 out of 24 not bad in total . 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Can you honestly say when everyone has been available, McIllorum has been one of the best two 9's available to England? Plenty of players get a game due to injury etc but he's now apparently our best 9 at the back end of his career. It's pretty depressing to be honest.

McIlorum was a cracking player at Wigan and very underated. Yes he wasn't to everyone's cut of tea but I think he was unlucky not to get more England caps. I'm not saying he is that player now but he is still the type of player who will work hard and won't take a backwards step. He has a crisp and accurate pass too.