England Squad

The thing that strikes me and worries me is KPP and Watkins essentially being picked as centres - when they've been playing as second-rowers or filling in at centre. One of them is going to be England's right centre, ahead of a maestro ball-player in Jake Connor. Let that sink in!

The squad looks forward-heavy to me. I probably would have dropped a prop and picked an extra centre or winger.

Hall, Hill, McIlorum have been great servants and Hill has actually had a fantastic club season. Being honest, they are a little over-the-hill for international football. I like Cooper but I'm not sure he really merits consideration.

I'm glad to see Ackers, Sneyd, Herbie, Batchelor, McMeekin in there.

Disappointed at the omissions of Joe Burgess, Jake Connor, Kruise Leeming, Jackson Hastings.

Not a terrible squad, but I think it could have been stronger/more threatening and better balanced between backs and forwards.

Edited by StandOffHalf
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Pleased for Ackers and Sneyd think both have earned their place this year whoever was available. I would’ve gone with Ormondroyd over Cooper and virtually anyone over Micky Mc. Fans on here don’t rate him but I think Percival is a big miss so much so it’s almost certain we will be playing a second row in the centres again. Also I think the make up of the squad tells me Welsby isn’t getting a start and is being picked as cover for a number of positions. Which is a shame as I think Tomkins time as an effective fullback has gone. 

I think you are right on the centre situation. Percival is a big miss. Playing a second-row will be found out in attack and defence in the big moments. Look at Farrell at Wigan. Great player but struggles with link play/final pass when playing centre.

I hope you are wrong about Welsby. I think England desperately need him somewhere.

35 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

The thing that strikes me and worries me is KPP and Watkins essentially being picked as centres - when they've been playing as second-rowers. One of them is going to be right centre, ahead of a maestro in Jake Connor. Let that sink in!

KPP has played most of this season at centre.

Edited by Damien
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

KPP has played most of this season at centre.

Okay, he's not a centre though. He's a second-rower filling in there. 

He's got size and the ability for amazing offloads. I just don't see the passing game to play centre.

I'm glad he's in the squad, but the fact that he and Watkins are in the mix for RC just makes me shake my head.

I feel Currie and Clark are off the radar due to Warrington poor season, surprised mcshane not in either. Salford stronger finish to season has pushed 1 or 2 of their players ahead of others. 

Due to minimal international fixtures, especially against the best, ie Australia, over the last few years, we'll not know if the players selected are good enough individually or as a team until its too late, ie the tournament has started. Fingers crossed theres something for us to cheer about 

4 hours ago, Stuff Smith said:

Sorry, still not convinced

Great attitude? He's petulant.

Does big names, highest stages = played in the NRL?

He’s a winner, a competitor. 

SL and NRL grand finals, World Cup final, challenge cups etc etc. what other big games that he’s qualified for could he have possibly played in? He has the experience to handle these games.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

2 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

The thing that strikes me and worries me is KPP and Watkins essentially being picked as centres - when they've been playing as second-rowers or filling in at centre. One of them is going to be England's right centre, ahead of a maestro ball-player in Jake Connor. Let that sink in!

The squad looks forward-heavy to me. I probably would have dropped a prop and picked an extra centre or winger.

Hall, Hill, McIlorum have been great servants and Hill has actually had a fantastic club season. Being honest, they are a little over-the-hill for international football. I like Cooper but I'm not sure he really merits consideration.

I'm glad to see Ackers, Sneyd, Herbie, Batchelor, McMeekin in there.

Disappointed at the omissions of Joe Burgess, Jake Connor, Kruise Leeming, Jackson Hastings.

Not a terrible squad, but I think it could have been stronger/more threatening and better balanced between backs and forwards.

So you’re upset at a career centre who played some back row this year being selected as a centre, but bloke whose played all year at full back is fine to play centre?

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

1 minute ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

So you’re upset at a career centre who played some back row this year being selected as a centre, but bloke whose played all year at full back is fine to play centre?

Not upset at all. I probably would have had both Watkins and KPP in my 24 - as back-rowers who can fill in in the centres.

Watkins is an international centre, so he does have experience. That is a positive. I just think his form this year is off his playing in the back-row.

Connor's best position is right centre IMO. His weakness is his lack of speed, but he's got a wonderful eye for a pass. Having him picking his moments would add class to a good backline.

So yes, I would have Connor at RC ahead of Watkins and KPP.

My backline would be: Welsby, Makinson, Connor, Herbie, Burgess.

From this squad, I'd be very tempted to play Welsby at right centre - if he's not going to unseat Tomkins from the #1.

Watkins hasn't been playing centre during his late-career resurgence and KPP, despite his prodigious athleticism and offloading ability, simply doesn't have the passing abilities to execute centre play against the top international teams.

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have Welsby and Farnworth in the centres. That's coming from someone who recoils from the idea of playing players out of their favoured or best positions. Welsby's decision-making under pressure though strikes me as one area of his game that can be targeted by fast line-speed in defence.

He has to be in the 17 somewhere, that for sure!

Edited by StandOffHalf
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Say’s someone he’s never watched him play. He would be one of the best props in NRL idiot you have no clue what your talking about.

Name calling is rude. 🙄😂 I'd hate to see what your like when the English lose the opener 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Say’s someone he’s never watched him play. He would be one of the best props in NRL idiot you have no clue what your talking about.

A lot of people on this forum said the exact same thing about Luke Thompson before he moved to the NRL.

FYI - I’m a huge Oledski fan and think he could be special but let’s pump the brakes a bit!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, AB90 said:

A lot of people on this forum said the exact same thing about Luke Thompson before he moved to the NRL.

FYI - I’m a huge Oledski fan and think he could be special but let’s pump the brakes a bit!

He’s has the potential to finish his career as the greatest English prop ever. He is the perfect Build for a prop his Strong, Tall but unlike most other props his fast. Not to mention he has brilliant game smarts. Everyone time he takes a hit up is always looks for one on one tackles and often comes out on top. He’s also a great ball player and he’s quick play the balls consistently help Leeds get on the front foot.

He plays a very similar game to joe Tapine expect he is younger and faster. Oledzki has the rugby league world at his fingertips.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Not Every team has injuries like this. England easily have the most injuries out of any World Cup squad. To compare New Zealand only have 2 injuries this World Cup Reimis Smith who Probably wouldn’t have made the squad anyway and Erin Clark who also probably wouldn’t have made the squad.

And What do mean Hodgson hasn’t played all season. He hasn’t played all season because he’s injured

I mean Hodgson was no certainty of selection if he was healthy and in form, he was never in contention with the injury he has so he is not worth listing.

36 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

He’s has the potential to finish his career as the greatest English prop ever. He is the perfect Build for a prop his Strong, Tall but unlike most other props his fast. Not to mention he has brilliant game smarts. Everyone time he takes a hit up is always looks for one on one tackles and often comes out on top. He’s also a great ball player and he’s quick play the balls consistently help Leeds get on the front foot.

He plays a very similar game to joe Tapine expect he is younger and faster. Oledzki has the rugby league world at his fingertips.

Oledzki is a fine player, I think its a bit early to be predicting he may become "the greatest English prop ever"

I am surprised he did not rate higher in the Man of Steel Awards.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mojo said:

Name calling is rude. 🙄😂 I'd hate to see what your like when the English lose the opener 

Don`t worry, he`s been on here 5 minutes and told me to get off the forum !!  @ sydneyfeatherduster.

Edited by The Rocket
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Damien said:

I'd completely overlooked the fact that Clarke hasn't been picked. I know he has had a poor season but so have Warrington. On form he is the best hooker in SL, bar Roby.

When was he last on form? Sorry but he's been gash every time I've seen him the last couple of seasons and no way he should be making the squad (I've been a big fan of the likes of Clark & McShane previously btw).

Ackers 100% deserves to be in there instead of him and won't let England down.

Edited by SalfordSlim
  • Like 1

Admittedly I’ve only had the chance to watch a couple St Helens games this year but surely Welsby starts in the halves if he’s half as good as he’s been hyped on here. No point “easing him in” if the alternatives are older and not all that great anyway.

28 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

Admittedly I’ve only had the chance to watch a couple St Helens games this year but surely Welsby starts in the halves if he’s half as good as he’s been hyped on here. No point “easing him in” if the alternatives are older and not all that great anyway.

I like the idea of Sneyd and Welsby together.   Half back combinations should compliment each other and Sneyd can boss the game and kick tactically while Welsby is free to play his own game.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris