England Squad

Out of that team I'd like to see us go: 

Welsby 

Young, Farnworth, Watkins, Hall

Sneyd, Williams

Burgess, Ackers, Thompson

Batchelor, Whitehead

Radley 

If I could see that for the first 40 at least with Hill and McMeeken/Cooper interchanging on 20 mins then I'd be happy. Second half McIlorum in at 9, Farnworth off for one of the ringers, KPP on for Whitehead and Welsby getting a bit of time in the halves. 

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

It's not a great sign that Tomkins and Oledski are sitting the warm-up game out.

I don't mind Oledski as much.  We knew he was had a shoulder injury and he played all the way up to and in the Grand Final and so is due a rest.

But Tomkins hasn't played since the 25th of August.  He should be playing if fit to work on the structure of the team. 

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Young Blood said:

Surely this is a joke, To'o is better then Makinson, Tomkins is washed , Crtichon is better then Herbie. Welsby then Luai is taking the ######

Can you explain to me why you think Crichton is better than Herbie Farnworth?

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Young Blood said:

Surely this is a joke, To'o is better then Makinson, Tomkins is washed , Crtichon is better then Herbie. Welsby then Luai is taking the ######

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

It's not a great sign that Tomkins and Oledski are sitting the warm-up game out.

i thought the same but actually now I'm noticing Bateman and Knowles aren't there either, along with the already mentioned Makinson. Maybe they really are that definite for their positions Wane sees no value in risking them even for limited minutes. Fair to say whilst some in the named team will obviously start the first game, in what position and whether off the bench may still to be decided. 

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold

1 minute ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Out of that team I'd like to see us go: 

Welsby 

Young, Farnworth, Watkins, Hall

Sneyd, Williams

Burgess, Ackers, Thompson

Batchelor, Whitehead

Radley 

If I could see that for the first 40 at least with Hill and McMeeken/Cooper interchanging on 20 mins then I'd be happy. Second half McIlorum in at 9, Farnworth off for one of the ringers, KPP on for Whitehead and Welsby getting a bit of time in the halves. 

I had pretty much the same team, though opted for McMeekan and Mcilorum starting ahead of Batchelor and Ackers.
You'd imagine the 17 would be from the named WC squad, and not any of the additional players.

• Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I don't mind Oledski as much.  We knew he was had a shoulder injury and he played all the way up to and in the Grand Final and so is due a rest.

But Tomkins hasn't played since the 25th of August.  He should be playing if fit to work on the structure of the team. 

Yes, he's earned a bit of off-time. I just hope the shoulder isn't something that's going to flare up and hinder him in the next month.

Tomkins is a concern.

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

He isn’t . Put Herbie in that Penrith team and Crichton in that Broncos team and you’d see . Herbie has been a standout in a team nowhere as strong with nowhere near the quality through the spine to give him the same number of opportunities 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

i thought the same but actually now I'm noticing Bateman and Knowles aren't there either, along with the already mentioned Makinson. Maybe they really are that definite for their positions Wane sees no value in risking them even for limited minutes. Fair to say whilst some in the named team will obviously start the first game, in what position and whether off the bench may still to be decided. 

I don't think Bateman could be there, haha.

I can understand resting Makinson. I would though have liked the first-choice spine to get a chance to put some minutes together and find cohesiveness.

3 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

I don't think Bateman could be there, haha.

I can understand resting Makinson. I would though have liked the first-choice spine to get a chance to put some minutes together and find cohesiveness.

I don't disagree - Bateman wouldn't start for me, in fact I wouldn't have batted an eyelid if he wasn't picked at all. But, this is a bit of Waney getting the old band back together and to be fair if he stokes something in Bateman to have his 2016-19 form then happy days. 

6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

He isn’t . Put Herbie in that Penrith team and Crichton in that Broncos team and you’d see . Herbie has been a standout in a team nowhere as strong with nowhere near the quality through the spine to give him the same number of opportunities 

I agree. I know try scoring isn't everything but Farworth finished on 10 tries in 12 games and Crichton 13 tries in 23 games.

But Farworth also breaks more tackles and makes fewer errors.

As you say, put Farnworth in that Penrith team and he would have a field day.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I don't disagree - Bateman wouldn't start for me, in fact I wouldn't have batted an eyelid if he wasn't picked at all. But, this is a bit of Waney getting the old band back together and to be fair if he stokes something in Bateman to have his 2016-19 form then happy days. 

He'd start for me, if he wasn't banned.

32 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

It looks like the knee injury he’s carried through the season isn’t right & Wane is trying to nurse hos capt through the tournament,something that didn’t work for England’s last WC capt.

38 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Tomkins is a concern.

7 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

It looks like the knee injury he’s carried through the season isn’t right & Wane is trying to nurse hos capt through the tournament,something that didn’t work for England’s last WC capt.

I agree.  We have Welsby who is a very good full back and if Tomkins is not 100% I would rather we went with another option - perhaps Ratchford who provide some utility in the halves as well.

I hope I am fretting for nothing and Tomkins is right for the tournament as I think this is a tournament that will stretch the 24 man squads a fair bit.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with Batemans form this season. He’s had a good year overall and was Englands best player in the All Stars game. He was very good for us in all our biggest games this season (bar a brain fade in the semi, when he was having another very good game personally). He deserves his place on both form and reputation IMO. 

As for the rests elsewhere, I think the four guys left out, who aren’t banned (Makinson, Tomkins, Lees and Oledzki) have all carried niggles through to this comp. I recall rests for Tomkins, Makinson and Lees and some chatter of them carrying issues. Oledzki again obviously got that knock at Catalans and pushed himself through the other games in the play offs. It’s not ideal but you can understand a safety first approach. I wouldn’t even be surprised if one or two missed the opener. Ultimately we want everyone fit and firing from week one but the real work will start from the quarter finals onwards. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I agree.  We have Welsby who is a very good full back and if Tomkins is not 100% I would rather we went with another option - perhaps Ratchford who provide some utility in the halves as well.

I hope I am fretting for nothing and Tomkins is right for the tournament as I think this is a tournament that will stretch the 24 man squads a fair bit.

Surely we'd call upon Connor over Ratchford if we're looking for versatility? At least i'd hope we would. Used to love Ratchford but he wasn't great this past season. Failing that i'd give Bennison or Pryce a shout. 

46 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Surely we'd call upon Connor over Ratchford if we're looking for versatility? At least i'd hope we would. Used to love Ratchford but he wasn't great this past season. Failing that i'd give Bennison or Pryce a shout. 

We might do.  Wane wouldn't.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

wasn't he an expert on scottish RU  defence tactics not that long ago?

Jake Connor.  I don't think so.

• Haha 2

This game is for the players who either didn’t make the playoffs or got knocked out early. When the first game starts some of these players would’ve played for 5/6 weeks plus. So most Grand Finalists sit it out (Welsby’s just a machine). Any older players or players carrying knocks won’t be risked that’s plus a few players are unavailable due to bans. This will be why players from outside the squad have been added  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

No If you play in the NRL you are instantly better than any Super league player. Issac Lumelume over Tommy Makinson any day of the week and Brad Schneider over Jonny Lomax.

Didn't Brodie Croft a reserve grade player get Man of Steel? 

• Confused 1