England Squad

6 hours ago, SalfordSlim said:

Liam Marshall, Sam Powell and Harry Smith have been included in Wane's 22-man squad for the match against Fiji, as has centre Jake Wardle.

Wayne not showing his club bias at all there. Joe Burgess must have biffed his Mrs.🙄

Unless the Wigan lads are promoted into the 'main squad', what's the big deal? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SalfordSlim said:

Liam Marshall, Sam Powell and Harry Smith have been included in Wane's 22-man squad for the match against Fiji, as has centre Jake Wardle.

Wayne not showing his club bias at all there. Joe Burgess must have biffed his Mrs.🙄

Yeah because Marshall had an awful season & we have a whole raft of quality halfbacks & hookers queuing up for selection for a one off game at the end of a season with no chance of WC selection.🙈

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Alan Robertson said:

Unless the Wigan lads are promoted into the 'main squad', what's the big deal? 

What's the point? I was under the impression that this game was in preparation for the squad that is going onto the WC to play together.

And once the squad is named and the tournament starts can others be drafted in, that would give some teams an unfair advantage if they could.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

What's the point? I was under the impression that this game was in preparation for the squad that is going onto the WC to play together.

And once the squad is named and the tournament starts can others be drafted in, that would give some teams an unfair advantage if they could.

It’s 3 players.

Maybe Wane recognises that some of his squad have played a large number of games in a relatively short period of time & given his squad have already suffered a raft withdrawals due to injury he thinks protecting some players is more important than game time in a warmup game. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

It’s 3 players.

Maybe Wane recognises that some of his squad have played a large number of games in a relatively short period of time & given his squad have already suffered a raft withdrawals due to injury he thinks protecting some players is more important than game time in a warmup game. 

Yeah good idea that, send players into a world cup cold just to "protect them" in one game. Master stroke that.👏

• Confused 3

2 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

Yeah good idea that, send players into a world cup cold just to "protect them" in one game. Master stroke that.👏

Yeah,them 3 players missing out on 1 game will have a devestatin effect on our WC chances,we’d be far better off picking 3 players nursing knocks.🙈

15 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Yeah,them 3 players missing out on 1 game will have a devestatin effect on our WC chances,we’d be far better off picking 3 players nursing knocks.🙈

There are 24 players in the squad, it could be that some of those who get called on may not have had a game for a number of weeks.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

There are 24 players in the squad, it could be that some of those who get called on may not have had a game for a number of weeks.

With France & Greece in our group,I’d be amazed if every member of the squad doesn’t get a runout in the group stages.

2 hours ago, SalfordSlim said:

A couple of weeks ago I read plenty of posts on here that the sheer volume of games Super League players play will have a negative effect on our chances. 

Now it seems the biggest risk is that they are going into the competition cold!

• Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

19 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

A couple of weeks ago I read plenty of posts on here that the sheer volume of games Super League players play will have a negative effect on our chances. 

Now it seems the biggest risk is that they are going into the competition cold!

But it’s a cunning plan from the coach to sneak more Wigan players into the squad apparently.& we’d be much better off playing players nursing knocks after a tough,compressed season.

1 minute ago, northamptoncougar said:

Anyone concerned about Tompkins? He looked like he was carrying during the season, he hasn't played for weeks but is still been rested?

PeterboroughJaguar, can you please spell our Captain's name properly?

• Like 2

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

5 hours ago, Young Blood said:

Didn't Brodie Croft a reserve grade player get Man of Steel? 

I think the feeling is that he is a very good player who is now coached and managed correctly by a very good head coach at a club the improves players who have lost their way. Says a lot about some NRL coaching when they let good players slip through the system- bit like Jackson Hastings- managed correctly by Salford now the NRL think he's a great player.

Remember the NRL think Bateman is the best 2nd rower in the world and Hodgson is a better player then Roby...🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

But it’s a cunning plan from the coach to sneak more Wigan players into the squad apparently.& we’d be much better off playing players nursing knocks after a tough,compressed season.

Glad you've finally accepted that you were wrong.👍

George Williams captains England for the Fiji game.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, MattSantos said:

It doesnt fill me with confidence. I have no actual reason, other than perceived Wigan bias, but crikey.

With Tomkins and Bateman not playing, I would have thought Whitehead was the senior candidate for this one.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

With Tomkins and Bateman not playing, I would have thought Whitehead was the senior candidate for this one.

Aye, that makes sense.

I alluded to it months back, what worries me is the lack of old school leadership now Graham and Burgess have gone.

Being captain isnt what it once was, but Williams isn't captain of England material. That's not a slight on Williams btw.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

41 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I don't recall seeing Whitehead's name in the squad for this weekend. I don't know whether he's another one of the certainties who are being wrapped up in cotton wool.

47 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

George Williams captains England for the Fiji game.

Maybe it's the - give someone responsibility and they up their game though process - who knows but its worth a shot.

England with an in form Williams will be a different beast.