England Squad

1 minute ago, StandOffHalf said:

I don't recall seeing Whitehead's name in the squad for this weekend. I don't know whether he's another one of the certainties who are being wrapped up in cotton wool.

Yes, he is there.

Shaun Wane names England squad to face Fiji (rugby-league.com)

• Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I might be reading to much into it, but selecting Williams as captain suggests he'll be a starter against Samoa. Wane seemed to suggest Welsby would be playing in the halves which kind of puts all the 'Sneyd's kicking game against PI teams' theories in a bit of a hole.

• Sad 1

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

11 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Thanks, Dunbar.

I was looking at NRL.com this morning. Their team-list for the game is all over the place, haha.

England v Fiji - Round 2, 2022 - Match Centre | NRL.com

That's a terrific team sheet.  I particularly like Chris Hill at 7 and Liam Marshall at prop.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

That's a terrific team sheet.  I particularly like Chris Hill at 7 and Liam Marshall at prop.

The big centres, the halves, and three backs on the bench had me chortling alright!

I think everyone is in for some confusion with alphabetic ordering and squad numbers, haha...

England Knights and Scotland squads for Saturday. 

England  

Jack Broadbent (Featherstone Rovers), Deon Cross (Salford Red Devils), George Delaney (St Helens), Tyler Dupree (Salford Red Devils), Matthew English (Huddersfield Giants), Ethan Havard, Harvie Hill (both Wigan Warriors), Jordan Lane (Hull FC), Mikey Lewis, Jez Litten (both Hull KR), Ellis Longstaff, Matt Nicholson (Warrington Wolves), Will Pryce (Huddersfield Giants), Oliver Russell (Huddersfield Giants), Josh Thewlis (Warrington Wolves), Liam Tindall (Leeds Rhinos), Danny Walker (Warrington Wolves), Matthew Whitley (Catalans Dragons, Capt.)  

Scotland 

Euan Aitken, Luke Bain, James Bell, Ryan Brierley, Kieran Buchanan, Logan Bayliss-Brow, Lewis Clarke, Davey Dixon, Charlie Emslie, Dale Ferguson, Calum Gahan, Guy Graham, Bailey Hayward, Ben Hellewell, Liam Hood, Kane Linnett, Bayley Liu, Sam Luckly, Matty Russell, Kyle Schneider, Jack Teanby, Shane Toal, Alex Walker, Lachlan Walmsley 

• Like 1

Fijian NRL grand final players rested understandably so, still should give England a decent hit out even with Kikau, Koroisau, Sivo & Turuva out. Also playing 3 English based players not in their squad, not a bad idea to give them some experience, I assume they’re on standby.

17 hours ago, Dunbar said:

England Knights and Scotland squads for Saturday. 

England  

Jack Broadbent (Featherstone Rovers), Deon Cross (Salford Red Devils), George Delaney (St Helens), Tyler Dupree (Salford Red Devils), Matthew English (Huddersfield Giants), Ethan Havard, Harvie Hill (both Wigan Warriors), Jordan Lane (Hull FC), Mikey Lewis, Jez Litten (both Hull KR), Ellis Longstaff, Matt Nicholson (Warrington Wolves), Will Pryce (Huddersfield Giants), Oliver Russell (Huddersfield Giants), Josh Thewlis (Warrington Wolves), Liam Tindall (Leeds Rhinos), Danny Walker (Warrington Wolves), Matthew Whitley (Catalans Dragons, Capt.)  

Scotland 

Euan Aitken, Luke Bain, James Bell, Ryan Brierley, Kieran Buchanan, Logan Bayliss-Brow, Lewis Clarke, Davey Dixon, Charlie Emslie, Dale Ferguson, Calum Gahan, Guy Graham, Bailey Hayward, Ben Hellewell, Liam Hood, Kane Linnett, Bayley Liu, Sam Luckly, Matty Russell, Kyle Schneider, Jack Teanby, Shane Toal, Alex Walker, Lachlan Walmsley 

This should be a fairly close game though on paper the Knights should just about edge it

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

11 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

any announcement on tonights eng line up yet?

Shaun Wane is currently belting out GSTK whilst walking up and down the line of players watching to see who sobs the hardest whilst clutching their shirt just above the heart. The best 13 start.

I'll let you know the outcome.

• Haha 2

Starting team for tonight is probably as expected in the backs. The surprises come more in the pack, with the two old boys (Hill and Cooper) starting at prop, Ackers at hooker and McMeekan ahead of Batchelor in the second row. I’m not sure how much to read in to it mind. 

5 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Based on tonight's performances and who we know is due to come in this would be my team for Samoa: 

Tomkins

Makinson

Farnworth

Watkins

Young

Welsby 

Williams 

Oledzki

Ackers

Burgess

Whitehead

McMeeken

Knowles 

Radley, Thompson, Burgess, Sneyd

I know that there used to be more but we only have one Burgess in the squad this time 😉

I know it would be a huge call to drop Tomkins but he hasn't looked fit for a while now.

A fit Tomkins is unquestionably in, but I don't think he is. Young has earned his spot.

I'd go:

Welsby, Makinson, Farnworth, Watkins, Young, Williams, Sneyd, Burgess, Ackers, Thompson, Bateman, Whitehead, Radley

Knowles, Lees, Oledski, McIlorum

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Based on tonight's performances and who we know is due to come in this would be my team for Samoa: 

Tomkins

Makinson

Farnworth

Watkins

Young

Welsby 

Williams 

Oledzki

Ackers

Burgess

Whitehead

McMeeken

Knowles 

Radley, Thompson, Burgess, Sneyd

Agree with the vast majority.

I would go with Sneyd at 7 and put some forward / back versatility on the bench - maybe Pearce-Paul.

3 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

So hard because Sneyd did plenty right tonight - I just really want Welsby in the team and I know it won't be at the expense of Tomkins IMO. 

I would personally have Welsby and Sneyd in the halves.

Well, actually may be inclined to have Welsby at full back and Williams and Sneyd in the halves but, as you say, Tomkins will play of fit.

But a nice problem to have.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I would personally have Welsby and Sneyd in the halves.

Well, actually may be inclined to have Welsby at full back and Williams and Sneyd in the halves but, as you say, Tomkins will play of fit.

But a nice problem to have.

Indeed - much rather have a headache over who to play where than concern over who is playing. Radley or Knowles at 13, Whitehead, Bateman, McMeeken and Batchelor all vying for edge positions  - all of a sudden i'm feeling like we have some good squad depth. Only wing really concerns me if either Young or Makinson pick up a knock. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Indeed - much rather have a headache over who to play where than concern over who is playing. Radley or Knowles at 13, Whitehead, Bateman, McMeeken and Batchelor all vying for edge positions  - all of a sudden i'm feeling like we have some good squad depth. Only wing really concerns me if either Young or Makinson pick up a knock. 

Don't worry mate we have Hall who has an amazing international scoring to games record and has scored more points against NZ and Oz than anyother player at the WC.

Shame he couldn't prove it in the NRL but if his team mates don't pass to him its hard to score a try.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Don't worry mate we have Hall who has an amazing international scoring to games record and has scored more points against NZ and Oz than anyother player at the WC.

Shame he couldn't prove it in the NRL but if his team mates don't pass to him its hard to score a try.

The trouble being his last Test try was 5 yrs ago when he wasn’t a slow 34yr old with the turning circle of an oil tanker.