England Squad

Have to say, Mike Cooper hasn't come into my thinking.

But yesterday he was the top fantasy points scorer for England.

Player 48 minutes, ran for 110 metres, scored a try, made 31 tackles and didn't miss a single tackle.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Have to say, Mike Cooper hasn't come into my thinking.

But yesterday he was the top fantasy points scorer for England.

Player 48 minutes, ran for 110 metres, scored a try, made 31 tackles and didn't miss a single tackle.

Against a weakened Fiji yes, Aus, Nz,Tonga no has to be Oledzki and Thompson starting with Burgess off bench.

He’s always statistically very good Cooper. I fully get why he’s in the squad but I’d have him down the pecking order for now, even after a good showing last night. The squad feels in a much better spot than this time last week, not because guys like Welsby, Williams, Thompson (i.e nailed on first 17 players) etc played well but more because players most people probably had outside their first 17 played so well. Those to my mind were guys like Sneyd, Hill, Cooper and McMeekan. I wouldn’t have had any in my 17 for next week before last night but I’d have at least 2 now. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WN83 said:

He’s always statistically very good Cooper. I fully get why he’s in the squad but I’d have him down the pecking order for now, even after a good showing last night. The squad feels in a much better spot than this time last week, not because guys like Welsby, Williams, Thompson (i.e nailed on first 17 players) etc played well but more because players most people probably had outside their first 17 played so well. Those to my mind were guys like Sneyd, Hill, Cooper and McMeekan. I wouldn’t have had any in my 17 for next week before last night but I’d have at least 2 now. 

Our three best middles (front row) are Oledzki, Burgess and Thompson definitely.  After that I would have Hill for the size and then there is Cooper.

To be honest, having Cooper in that spot shows the strength of the position and that is with Walmsley unfortunately missing. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Our three best middles (front row) are Oledzki, Burgess and Thompson definitely.  After that I would have Hill for the size and then there is Cooper.

To be honest, having Cooper in that spot shows the strength of the position and that is with Walmsley unfortunately missing. 

There’s really good quality and depth there. I wouldn’t be surprised if Knowles is in the shake up at prop as well. 

It’s a funny one with Walmsley. It’s a huge blow on the face of things but they’re used to big bodies in the NRL. I’ve always thought we’d play a game under Wane that was about out working and out lasting your opponent because it’s what he’s always built his successes on. In guys like Knowles, Radley, Lees, Hill, Thompson and Oledzki, I think he’s got some perfect players for that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WN83 said:

There’s really good quality and depth there. I wouldn’t be surprised if Knowles is in the shake up at prop as well. 

It’s a funny one with Walmsley. It’s a huge blow on the face of things but they’re used to big bodies in the NRL. I’ve always thought we’d play a game under Wane that was about out working and out lasting your opponent because it’s what he’s always built his successes on. In guys like Knowles, Radley, Lees, Hill, Thompson and Oledzki, I think he’s got some perfect players for that. 

Think Lees gets over looked a lot but he’s a very important player in the Saints team. As whenever he comes on he sets /ups the line speed he’s consistently the quickest off the line and that forces other players to go with him. Would be the ideal player to come off the bench with Burgess. Suppose it just depends on what Wane wants. 

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

Think Lees gets over looked a lot but he’s a very important player in the Saints team. As whenever he comes on he sets /ups the line speed he’s consistently the quickest off the line and that forces other players to go with him. Would be the ideal player to come off the bench with Burgess. Suppose it just depends on what Wane wants. 

Wane will absolutely love Matty Lees. If somebody said to describe the type of prop Wane loves, Lees would tick pretty much every box. Line speed, aggression, a great engine and a quick play the ball. I had him down as a bit of a workhorse, with no go forward prior to Walmsley being injured but he stepped up massively in attack late in the season. 

The only negative for Lees chances in this World Cup is Wane potentially thinking he has enough of that type of player already in Knowles, Radley and also via McIlorum. In saying that I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Wane had him as a starter, especially by the end of our campaign. 

Edited by WN83
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, WN83 said:

Wane will absolutely love Matty Lees. If somebody said to describe the type of prop Wane loves, Lees would tick pretty much every box. Line speed, aggression, a great engine and a quick play the ball. I had him down as a bit of a workhorse, with no go forward prior to Walmsley being injured but he stepped up massively in attack late in the season. 

The only negative for Lees chances in this World Cup is Wane potentially thinking he has enough of that type of player already in Knowles, Radley and also via McIlorum. In saying that I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Wane had him as a starter, especially by the end of our campaign. 

I think you’re right that Knowles and Radley are similar style to him and may mean Wane will opt for the size of someone like Hill over Lees.