Warrington 

Wigan

B licenses were;

Bradford

Saints

Catalan

Huddersfield

Hull KR

So with no real change at the top 4 who could make the jump to A. 

Saints are now in their new stadium which I think was the only thing keeping them down a grade 

Catalan maybe improved on and off field?

Hull KR improved off field massively, stadium improved, academy?

Huddersfield stayed the same

Bradford gone backwards

So A grades could be?

Saints

Catalan

Hull KR

Hull

Leeds

Warrington

Wigan

To start a healthy debate does anyone think differently and why?

10 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I doubt you will able to be an Cat A SL Club without a Cat A Academy for starters

As all the SL clubs cannot be relied upon to manage academies that deliver highly talented 18-20 year olds, I would be suggesting the RFL take ownership of the academy programme for U/20s with about 8 - 10 teams geographically spread against a strategy for growth of player pool.

I think the main identifiers for an A license would be

- #members

- minimum stadium capacity and functionality

- minimum staffed departments

• Like 2

7 hours ago, yipyee said:

In 2009 the only A licenses were:

Hull 

Leeds 

Warrington

In 2012

Hull

Leeds

Warrington 

Wigan

B licenses were;

Bradford

Saints

Catalan

Huddersfield

Hull KR

So with no real change at the top 4 who could make the jump to A. 

Saints are now in their new stadium which I think was the only thing keeping them down a grade 

Catalan maybe improved on and off field?

Hull KR improved off field massively, stadium improved, academy?

Huddersfield stayed the same

Bradford gone backwards

So A grades could be?

Saints

Catalan

Hull KR

Hull

Leeds

Warrington

Wigan

To start a healthy debate does anyone think differently and why?

So if Saints Stadium pushes them up a grade, shouldn't Wigan and Hull FC not owing but being in rented accommodation push them down one?

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So if Saints Stadium pushes them up a grade, shouldn't Wigan and Hull FC not owing but being in rented accommodation push them down one?

Saints now play in a brand new stadium, not an old decrepit one, that's what pushed them up a grade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Because only the ground should count towards a grading?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Saints (great Ground  Academy and fanbase) Leeds (same) Wire (Ground and Fanbase) Pies (fanbase academy) Hull (same) Catalan and Toulouse (sport is locking in two french clubs so they are guaranteed locks based on IMG strat of internationals) 

Think thats it. I think in a few years after redev can see Wakey as a lock and KR.  

It's important to note that the proposal caps at two French clubs, not locks them in. 

Replace Toulouse with Wigan and I think that's your top clubs. 

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Well that's good news for Leigh then in your opinion.

You have access to a decent ground that you don't own.

That should get you some marks.

And then there will be several other criteria as well because the ground isn't the only part.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

You have access to a decent ground that you don't own.

That should get you some marks.

And then there will be several other criteria as well because the ground isn't the only part.

Yes I am aware that there will be several other boxes to tick.

While you are here, do you think having an academy should be part of the criterion? 

If so only those clubs who the RFL awarded licences to will qualify, should that be allowed as the SL clubs baring Salford and Championship clubs Bradford, Newcastle and London all have a head start over all the other Championship clubs with aspirations, and it is not the fault of quite a few who applied for licences but could have been refused for nothing more than geographical reasons.

Saints’ new stadium (its ten years old!) allows for greater revenue streams than Knowsley Road did, so there’s that to factor in, too. The hospitality at the E-Cig Arena is very good as well, so the matchday experience has improved from the previous ground, too. 

Grade A-

Wigan/Warrington/Hull/Saints/Leeds/Catalans 

Grade B-

Huddersfield/Hull KR/Salford/Toulouse/Castleford/Wakefield/Leigh

Grade C-

Widnes/London/Bradford/York/Featherstone/Barrow/Halifax/Sheffield/Batley/Keighley/Doncaster/Batley/Newcastle/Whitehaven.

Can I say the ONLY reason I put Leigh as grade B is they are full time and have investment which seems to be important to IMG. 

21 minutes ago, binosh said:

Grade A-

Wigan/Warrington/Hull/Saints/Leeds/Catalans 

Grade B-

Huddersfield/Hull KR/Salford/Toulouse/Castleford/Wakefield/Leigh

Grade C-

Widnes/London/Bradford/York/Featherstone/Barrow/Halifax/Sheffield/Batley/Keighley/Doncaster/Batley/Newcastle/Whitehaven.

Can I say the ONLY reason I put Leigh as grade B is they are full time and have investment which seems to be important to IMG. 

We obviously haven't seen the criteria yet, but my guess would be that you are about right with your category A.

I had imagined most of your category C's being B's (and B being the largest group). With C being the lowest ranked 10 to 14 clubs - mostly the League 1 clubs you didn't mention.

3 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

We obviously haven't seen the criteria yet, but my guess would be that you are about right with your category A.

I had imagined most of your category C's being B's (and B being the largest group). With C being the lowest ranked 10 to 14 clubs - mostly the League 1 clubs you didn't mention.

Aye, this makes sense to me, with league positions then helping to determine how the B clubs are positioned from a league point of view. Interest to see how Toulouse will be graded

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

57 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

While you are here, do you think having an academy should be part of the criterion? 

Not sure, I could probably be convinced either way.

I do think that running a women's team to the equivalent standard to the men's, alongside PDRL and other teams, and having a properly active community foundation should be in there.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Not sure, I could probably be convinced either way.

I do think that running a women's team to the equivalent standard to the men's, alongside PDRL and other teams, and having a properly active community foundation should be in there.

Yes in principle to all of that. It may be difficult with respect to numbers of women and PDRL teams, but an active community foundation should be a doddle for any club

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

So the great minds and successful business that make up IMG are emulating the former in-house solicitor,Rod Findlay,employed by the RFL at the time,who came up with the same criteria that favoured those clubs that had benefited from year after year of broadcast money.

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Rod Findlay is no longer involved on the sport.His suggestions were not policed correctly.

Ever decreasing circles?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

It's new in respect of the last grading as posted.

I'm not sure what you are going on about now or where you are going with this. It's like you always have to reply with something even when its nothing to do with what you originally said. Saints ground is new enough, I don't think anyone would consider it not to be.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Yes in principle to all of that. It may be difficult with respect to numbers of women and PDRL teams, but an active community foundation should be a doddle for any club

Aye, it's a case of showing activity and engagement. A senior men's pathway shouldn't be the only one.

2 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Bradford only need to sort out the ground,on field performance and finance.Then they could be a B with ambition to be A by the end of the decade.

Apart from the facilities, the on-field performances and the finances, what else is there??

Bulls are Cat C.

• Like 1