NRL Grand Final.

Some great things happening around Sydney this week to celebrate the GF.

Mixed Touch Rugby League comp held on Bondi Beach, week long celebrations held in Sydney`s central business district`s Martin Place ( 5 minute walk from the Opera House ) greeted by large crowds every day, GF sold out in minutes with a ticket scalping scam exposed with tickets being sold for over a thousand dollars, 15 000 tickets sold to CommBank Stadium for people who want to watch on the big screen - a lot of Parra fans there to cheer their Men`s and women`s teams and incredibly it`s being reported that you cannot buy a Parra jumper anywhere in Oz - completely sold-out nation-wide. There`s a real level of excitement building around this one.

Edited by The Rocket
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Mixed Touch Rugby League comp held on Bondi Beach, week long celebrations held in Sydney`s central business district`s Martin Place ( 5 minute walk from the Opera House ) greeted by large crowds every day, GF sold out in minutes with a ticket scalping scam exposed with tickets being sold for over a thousand dollars, 15 000 tickets sold to CommBank Stadium for people who want to watch on the big screen - a lot of Parra fans there to cheer their Men`s and women`s teams and incredibly it`s being reported that you cannot buy a Parra jumper anywhere in Oz - completely sold-out nation-wide. There`s a real level of excitement building around this one.

Pah!!.......bet you won't have a giant flag on the pitch 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, PEANUT HEAD said:

Can't wait for this final going to be a great game, the NRL are light years ahead of the rfl in everything on and off the field. 

I know it's true but I wish we'd all stop saying it 

It's obvs so why don't we focus on how we catch up rather staying it (not a dig just at you - we virtually all do it on here)

• Like 1

I’ve always thought we should have a beach RL comp in the U.K. in early October as we build toward the grand final. Widnes council have a strip of sand down by the chemical plants on the Mersey estuary don’t they? All you need is a bit of photoshop / filters and you’ve got a great advert for the game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

4 hours ago, The Rocket said:

I thought this was the sort of thing IMG would be proposing.

• Like 1

Some great things happening around Sydney

GF sold out in minutes with a ticket scalping scam exposed with tickets being sold for over a thousand dollars

This isn`t such a great thing. It`s a consequence of not every GF being a guaranteed sell out. Most years, if people are buying 8-20 tickets, it wouldn`t be a concern. Once Parra were in the final, would have made sense to reduce the maximum number for each category.

There`s a real level of excitement building around this one.

Let`s hope Ashley Klein referees this one as he did Origin. And the touchies and bunker have a pleasant evening keeping themselves to themselves.

Nothing any of them can do about the charge-down rule. 

Parra are the better team to watch. If they`re able to open up and play, it will be a great game. If Penrith shut them down, not so great.

And if the principal method of suffocation is an unchallenged Nathan Cleary launching spiral bombs in the direction of Waqa Blake, it will be the ultimate triumph for the most stupid self-harming rule in the whole of sport.

Summed up by a headline in The Australian - "Nathan Cleary and the art of kicking `em to death".

• Like 1

I know its common for people to say NRL>>>>>> Super League, and its probably true for the most part, but the one area Super League blows NRL out of the water is atmosphere. An NRL top 4 match with 20k+ in attendance has all the atmosphere of a Thursday afternoon baseball game in July, some light applause and make a bit of cheering if a try is scored.

A Super League match with a third or fourth of the attendance will have several times the atmosphere, making the match seem like something important. Unfortunately, Super League is on some obscure network in the US, making it impractical to watch for several years now, but I regularly watch old super league or challenge cup matches just to get that atmposhere fix.

If they could just get their business side together, I have no doubt it could be Super League >>>>>> NRL

Edited by emesssea
  • Like 2

@The RocketIs anything planned at Darling Harbour this weekend? I feel like there have been Saturday events there in the past, albeit poorly attended. Done correctly, a Saturday event there should be booming, similar to NFL events in Trafalgar Square I have visited in the past.

The Martin Place venue was incomplete on Monday when I was there in the afternoon. Potentially completed on Tuesday, so hard for me to have an opinion on how well it was received.

The city is solely talking Parra v Penrith. The Swans thrashing last Saturday has given the NRL a great opportunity to capitalise on a market that doesn’t want to dwell on last weekend.

My wish is for a cliffhanger of a match with plenty of post match smiles on the faces of children in Parramatta jumpers.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Rocket said:

All this may be absolutely true and it will no doubt be a wonderful Rugby League build up and occasion.

But you still have to live in Australia. 

• Haha 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

You mean its being built up as a propper event? A week long spectacular.? 

Dont be coming on here saying how fantastic it is.  Many people dont of this forum dont want events and think a GF should only be about 2 teams playing rugby for 80 mins .......

I think you are misrepresenting the situation.

Firstly, you use of the word "many" needs downgrading to "some"

Secondly, my issue is not with the concept of an event, day, week, month or year long. It's with the idea of paying some talentless noise-making lip-syncing yooves to pretend to be entertainment. It makes no difference to crowd numbers. It's meaningless. 

Let me once again take you back to the pre match entertainment at Wembley in the early 1990s. 200 youngsters in a superbly choreographed routine,  community engagement and involvement, engaging the attention of the crowd as they gradually took their seats...yet still able to be heard by their neighbours as they discussed the up-coming game.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JohnM said:

I think you are misrepresenting the situation.

Firstly, you use of the word "many" needs downgrading to "some"

Secondly, my issue is not with the concept of an event, day, week, month or year long. It's with the idea of paying some talentless noise-making lip-syncing yooves to pretend to be entertainment. It makes no difference to crowd numbers. It's meaningless. 

Let me once again take you back to the pre match entertainment at Wembley in the early 1990s. 200 youngsters in a superbly choreographed routine,  community engagement and involvement, engaging the attention of the crowd as they gradually took their seats...yet still able to be heard by their neighbours as they discussed the up-coming game.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 30/09/2022 at 11:55, The Rocket said:

Hmph. That's all fine and good, for them as likes happiness.

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson