The Alternative England Squad

3 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

because they all have to enter the John Inman impression competition on the 1st night 

I’m imagining Shaun Wane saying ‘ I’m free ‘ now . I don’t need that .

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I’m imagining Shaun Wane saying ‘ I’m free ‘ now . I don’t need that .

he might be saying that after the tournament depending on results

• Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

18 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

They've missed a trick if they don't. Bernard Breslaw would make a good front rower 

not sure about Jack Douglas ability to hold on to the ball though

8 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Hattie Jacques would be first choice prop IMHO

and to be fair Kenneth Williams is prob in better form than George Williams!

This would be my alternative 24-man England squad:

Zak Hardaker, Will Pryce, Liam Marshall, Tee Ritson, Joe Burgess, Lewis Murphy, Jake Connor, Deon Cross, Jake Wardle, Mikey Lewis, Harry Smith, Jackson Hastings, Jack Ormondroyd, Matty English, Liam Watts, Sam Walters, Kruise Leeming, Brad O'Neill, Matt Whitley, Chris McQueen, Matty Ashurst, Corey Hall, Morgan Smithies, Cameron Smith

#1 - Hardaker

#2 - Burgess

#3 - Connor

#4 - Wardle

#5 - Marshall

#6 - Hastings

#7 - Smith

#8 - Ormondroyd

#9 - O'Neill

#10 - English

#11 - Whitley

#12 - McQueen

#13 - Smithies

Bench: Watts, Walters, Hall, Lewis

Edited by StandOffHalf

On 30/09/2022 at 19:46, Dunbar said:

But why anyone would want to take Zak Hardaker into the camp

A big, strong, talented, experienced, tackle busting, tough tackling, superb kicking bloke who can play world class anywhere in the back line? 

If there are vestiges of ill behaviour (which I doubt) then ****ing manage it ...hence the term 'manager' 

I assume Latrell is playing in the WC right?

3 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

A big, strong, talented, experienced, tackle busting, tough tackling, superb kicking bloke who can play world class anywhere in the back line? 

If there are vestiges of ill behaviour (which I doubt) then ****ing manage it ...hence the term 'manager' 

I assume Latrell is playing in the WC right?

Well, there are two answers to this one and I think they are equally relevant. 

Firstly, he is not a big, strong, talented, experienced, tackle busting, tough tackling, superb kicking bloke.  He is a good fullback, but we have two better in the squad, and he is a very very average centre. He is not big and he is not strong by international standards and if you think he is a superb kicker I don't know what sport you have been watching. 

And second.  He has let down every single club he has played for.  And that includes England when he left the England side mid tournament in 2013.  Players need to know that when they look left and right as they line up for the anthems they see players who will have their back and fight with them and for them.  With Hardaker they see someone who is likely to just walk out at best or do something completely @#£@## daft at worst.

Wane has made some good decisions in his selection for the World Cup and he has made some bad one's.  But his best decision is to leave Hardaker well alone.

• Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Well, there are two answers to this one and I think they are equally relevant. 

Firstly, he is not a big, strong, talented, experienced, tackle busting, tough tackling, superb kicking bloke.  He is a good fullback, but we have two better in the squad, and he is a very very average centre. He is not big and he is not strong by international standards and if you think he is a superb kicker I don't know what sport you have been watching. 

And second.  He has let down every single club he has played for.  And that includes England when he left the England side mid tournament in 2013.  Players need to know that when they look left and right as they line up for the anthems they see players who will have their back and fight with them and for them.  With Hardaker they see someone who is likely to just walk out at best or do something completely @#£@## daft at worst.

Wane has made some good decisions in his selection for the World Cup and he has made some bad one's.  But his best decision is to leave Hardaker well alone.

Ha! 

You watched any SL this year Dunbar?

10 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Ha! 

You watched any SL this year Dunbar?

I have.

I have managed teams for a big part of my career and some things are absolute whatever type of team you manage.

1. If someone is talented and toxic you cut them from the team with regret because you are disappointed with what could have been but the team comes first.

2. If someone is toxic but pretty average you cut them from the team and you don't give it a seconds thought. 

Hardaker is is the second category. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, marklaspalmas said:

I ain't necessarily defending young Zak, his record is there for all to see.

But every Fev fan will tell you that statement is not true.

I will of course accept that.

And I will stand by my evaluation of his career and how he has let down clubs and teams that have given him multiple chances.

7 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

This would be my alternative 24-man England squad:

Zak Hardaker, Will Pryce, Liam Marshall, Tee Ritson, Joe Burgess, Lewis Murphy, Jake Connor, Deon Cross, Jake Wardle, Mikey Lewis, Harry Smith, Jackson Hastings, Jack Ormondroyd, Matty English, Liam Watts, Sam Walters, Kruise Leeming, Brad O'Neill, Matt Whitley, Chris McQueen, Matty Ashurst, Corey Hall, Morgan Smithies, Cameron Smith

#1 - Hardaker

#2 - Burgess

#3 - Connor

#4 - Wardle

#5 - Marshall

#6 - Hastings

#7 - Smith

#8 - Ormondroyd

#9 - O'Neill

#10 - English

#11 - Whitley

#12 - McQueen

#13 - Smithies

Bench: Watts, Walters, Hall, Lewis

I think I would have Hardacre,Burgess,Conner.Ormondroyd and O Neil in the main squad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

3 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

He is amazing with the fans.....my kids had thier picture taken with him on the past and he is noticeably fan friendly 

He's now a man at his peak who is older and wiser than his younger self 

He's also the fittest man in RL 

Again....can I just check is Latrell Mitchell playing in the WC???

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I think I would have Hardacre,Burgess,Conner.Ormondroyd and O Neil in the main squad.

I think Welsby and Tomkins are sufficient for FB.

I tend to agree on the others.

Burgess over Hall

Connor over Lees (one too many props in Wane's squad IMO)

Ormondroyd over Cooper

O'Neill over McIlorum

23 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

He is amazing with the fans.....my kids had thier picture taken with him on the past and he is noticeably fan friendly 

He's now a man at his peak who is older and wiser than his younger self 

He's also the fittest man in RL 

Again....can I just check is Latrell Mitchell playing in the WC???

He's always come across to us as a nice guy and is undoubtedly a very talented player.

Then there's his documented history, and an international coach who thought 'narh', and it's hard to disagree.

36 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Who's that?

Ash Handley.  And I think he absolutely should be in the mix in these conversations. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Ash Handley.  And I think he absolutely should be in the mix in these conversations. 

Yes, absolutely.

I left him and others who were injured or otherwise unavailable out of that hypothetical Alternative XXIV. From what I was aware of, he was out of contention.

Edited by StandOffHalf

35 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Then there's his documented history, and an international coach who thought 'narh', and it's hard to disagree.

I manage 50 plus people 

If someone is talented and hard working but hard to manage then it's my job to manage him/her 

I don't want an easy life I want  results