Tackles completely banned

Tackles banned, competitive games canned: Biggest junior league shake-up in decades.

I fully agree, seen parents get too angry, seen kids out off because they struggle to tackle the biggest kid, this will ensure more enjoy this great sport, cast a wider net while kids develop.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/tackles-banned-competitive-games-canned-biggest-junior-league-shake-up-in-decades-20220929-p5bm4h.html

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Its a bit of sensationalist headline. Tackling to be banned till halfway through u7s and formal competitive leagues and matches to not kick in till u13s. 

Yes I couldn't really fit more in the headline and it's only part of the story.

It's a fairly big decision though, I've long suggested it and had lots of opposition, had someone rant and storm off when I suggested it once.

Which kind of shows why it's important, those parents doing it for themselves.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Its a bit of sensationalist headline. Tackling to be banned till halfway through u7s and formal competitive leagues and matches to not kick in till u13s. 

Good to see no competitive matches until U13s. It’s a similar system to how the Dutch football association work IIRC. Their kids learn how to master the basics of soccer before worrying about winning matches. The Dutch FA system doesn’t appear to do too badly when it comes to producing top class players. Not bad for a country of circa 20 million.

• Like 4

Qld has been doing this for a few years already. I guess we were trialling it. My daughter actually played tackle at u6 in 2019, pre-season in 2020 of u7 non-contact when it was changed where the season was cancelled because of COVID, back to contact the last two years in u8s and 9s.

It's not a bad thing to introduce tackling from half of u7s. 

• Like 1

new rise.jpg

8 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Good to see no competitive matches until U13s. It’s a similar system to how the Dutch football association work IIRC. Their kids learn how to master the basics of soccer before worrying about winning matches. The Dutch FA system doesn’t appear to do too badly when it comes to producing top class players. Not bad for a country of circa 20 million.

I very much agree with this. Zero need for kids rugby to be competitive. Who wants to see u8s electing to kick for 2???

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Who wants to see u8s electing to kick for 2???

Rabidly angry parents on the sidelines, usually.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

Rabidly angry parents on the sidelines, usually.

This. 

I used to coach kids a while back. We often struggled to get a lot of players and with limited number and natural talent we lost many games. 

But the kids loved training, improved week on week, we worked on core skills, and thankfully me and the other coach had the belief of it being about learning and fun. 

Unfortunately it was ruined by parents who wouldn't buy into the vision and hypothesis that players will develop at different stages (and some of them became very good players) and it was a toxic atmosphere. 

Unfortunately, other age groups paid lip service to doing the right thing, we were on a bit of a one-team crusade and I left after 3 years or so and would never consider coaching again. 

I'd like to see parents banned or have to watch from about 30m away or something. They are toxic ass holes. 

• Like 11

40 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Well if that's the case then I agree. I simply do not see the need for u7s to be tackling. I'd probably even go further and go up to u9s.

• Like 2

I also suggested we change from tackling several years ago to touch rugby on here.

Imagine the skill and numbers development that might be achieved.

Like the Aussies i would go as high as 13s.

Edited by jacksy
  • Like 2

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

I think some junior clubs should actively promote themselves as “equal playing time” clubs where they try to give all kids the same number of minutes on the field.

When I used to be connected to junior rugby league unequal playing time was one of the biggest reasons the younger kids quit playing. Kids just want to play with their mates. 

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Copa said:

I think some junior clubs should actively promote themselves as “equal playing time” clubs where they try to give all kids the same number of minutes on the field.

When I used to be connected to junior rugby league unequal playing time was one of the biggest reasons the younger kids quit playing. Kids just want to play with their mates. 

I believe every club is supposed to do that over here. I know a lot of RU have adopted this too.

3 hours ago, Pulga said:

Qld has been doing this for a few years already. I guess we were trialling it. My daughter actually played tackle at u6 in 2019, pre-season in 2020 of u7 non-contact when it was changed where the season was cancelled because of COVID, back to contact the last two years in u8s and 9s.

It's not a bad thing to introduce tackling from half of u7s. 

And apparently unsurprisingly numbers surged, and why wouldn`t they. Out of my three only one played, I can guarantee all three would have played had this been in place 20 years ago.

BTW only one of them follows the League closely these days, and he`s the one who actually played.

• Like 4

Some kids aren't suited to contact at an early age.

Let them develop all the skills with no fear.

• Like 4

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I believe every club is supposed to do that over here. I know a lot of RU have adopted this too.

Yes, the problem is that in many cases it is just parents doing the coaching.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Its actually RFU rules that every kid gets half a game minimum.

Playing with matching numbers and lending players to the opposition is all encouraged and actually happens.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, yipyee said:

Its actually RFU rules that every kid gets half a game minimum.

Playing with matching numbers and lending players to the opposition is all encouraged and actually happens.

When my son played RU most of the matches were 'friendlies' and if a match got one sided there were player swaps and the stronger players were pulled to give the bench players more game time. Only the Yorkshire and NLD Cup games were 'competetive'. Some of the so called friendlies got a bit spicy from U15 upwards though.

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

35 minutes ago, tim2 said:

When my son played RU most of the matches were 'friendlies' and if a match got one sided there were player swaps and the stronger players were pulled to give the bench players more game time. Only the Yorkshire and NLD Cup games were 'competetive'. Some of the so called friendlies got a bit spicy from U15 upwards though.

Ha yeah bet that was against local rivals?

It appears to be the right mix of development with some games that are competitive.

Where RU seem to get it wrong is some of the earlier age group development rules.

On 02/10/2022 at 11:32, jacksy said:

I also suggested we change from tackling several years ago to touch rugby on here.

Imagine the skill and numbers development that might be achieved.

Like the Aussies i would go as high as 13s.

I am back in Ireland and there was a mention about the beef in some culchie counties between GAA and "soccer"  It was reported all codes-GAA, soccer and rugby-do not allow tackling in u-13s. 

Back in England my young nephews do not head the ball when they play soccer or football as its called down there.

Neither play overtly competitive games. It's about trying yer best, being with yer mates (social skills development) and learning core Game skills.

I think we should all expect RL to be the same.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, idrewthehaggis said:

I am back in Ireland and there was a mention about the beef in some culchie counties between GAA and "soccer"  It was reported all codes-GAA, soccer and rugby-do not allow tackling in u-13s. 

Back in England my young nephews do not head the ball when they play soccer or football as its called down there.

Neither play overtly competitive games. It's about trying yer best, being with yer mates (social skills development) and learning core Game skills.

I think we should all expect RL to be the same.

I'm not sure what you mean by GAA and Soccer don't allow tackling in u13s, they certainly do. They are also competitive. 

I recently fell into coaching an U7s RU team in Wales, and the WRU are promoting no contact at all at that age, it is purely TAG rugby. The games and the coaching is based entirely around evasion, passing and catching skills at that age. It even goes as far as, if the player with the ball purposely runs in to an opponent, it is a handover.

Being a RL man all my life, I was a little sceptical about it all when my lad started playing at the back end of last season. Really! Touch and pass, that's it, no tackling, handoff's, ball stealing etc. How are going to learn the skills?

We're based in North Wales, certainly not a hotbed for rugby like the South. We have 1 professional club (not a top side either) in RCG which is around 50 miles from us. At our club on Sunday, there were between 3-400 kids playing from 3 different clubs, at 3 age groups U7's, 8's and 10's.

I was astounded by the numbers, after looking at some of the figures banded about regarding player participation levels dropping etc. not a problem in RU from what I have seen.

Maybe RL could learn a lot from this approach to the junior ranks development pathways and minimising contact until players get older.

Edited by DOGFATHER
  • Like 1