Tackles completely banned

3 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

I recently fell into coaching an U7s RU team in Wales, and the WRU are promoting no contact at all at that age, it is purely TAG rugby. The games and the coaching is based entirely around evasion, passing and catching skills at that age. It even goes as far as, if the player with the ball purposely runs in to an opponent, it is a handover.

Being a RL man all my life, I was a little sceptical about it all when my lad started playing at the back end of last season. Really! Touch and pass, that's it, no tackling, handoff's, ball stealing etc. How are going to learn the skills?

We're based in North Wales, certainly not a hotbed for rugby like the South. We have 1 professional club (not a top side either) in RCG which is around 50 miles from us. At our club on Sunday, there were between 3-400 kids playing from 3 different clubs, at 3 age groups U7's, 8's and 10's.

I was astounded by the numbers, after looking at some of the figures banded about regarding player participation levels dropping etc. not a problem in RU from what I have seen.

Maybe RL could learn a lot from this approach to the junior ranks development pathways and minimising contact until players get older.

I'm for this